inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dan Wheldon, race car driver, dies in 15 car crash during race

Written By: snozberries on 10/16/11 at 5:16 pm

I've never heard of Dan Wheldon before today but my FB is flying with RIP messages for Dan Wheldon.

http://usanewstribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Dan-Wheldon.jpg

I googled him and found out he had taken a $5 million challenge to start last and finish first. If he succeeded he would've won 2.5 mil and a fan would've taken home the other half of the prize money. 

Seems he got to about the 24th place when there was an accident in front of him. He was not able to avoid the collision and his vehicle flew into the air.

I don't follow racing but this is a tragedy indeed...

News report and video of the crash

Subject: Re: Dan Wheldon, race car driver, dies in 15 car crash during race

Written By: King Tut on 10/16/11 at 5:40 pm

I never heard of him either. Horrific crash! It was hard to watch.  :(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/16/11 at 6:02 pm

I follow IndyCar somewhat and was watching this race when the crash happened. Dan Wheldon, who was from England, was a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner (including this year) and was well-liked by fans and competitors alike. When news of his death was announced, it was decided that the rest of the race would be cancelled and the remaining drivers circled the track 5 times in honor of Wheldon.

It was truly a sad day for motorsports and Dan Wheldon will be missed.   :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 10/16/11 at 6:08 pm

I follow IndyCar somewhat and was watching this race when the crash happened. Dan Wheldon, who was from England, was a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner (including this year) and was well-liked by fans and competitors alike. When news of his death was announced, it was decided that the rest of the race would be cancelled and the remaining drivers circled the track 5 times in honor of Wheldon.

It was truly a sad day for motorsports and Dan Wheldon will be missed.   :\'(

I meant to say he won the Indy 500 twice but I forgot. I've read so much about him in the last 30 mins I feel like I knew him.

Written By: Claybricks on 10/16/11 at 8:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKHtVtG59A

Dan

Written By: Henk on 10/17/11 at 1:19 am

This even made the Dutch news broadcasts, although IndyCar/NASCAR racing isn't popular here at all.

There was a time (not too long ago) when I was able to follow IndyCar racing, and that is why I have heard of Dan Wheldon. This is a sad day for racing, and my heart goes out to all of those affected.  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/17/11 at 6:54 am

RIP Dan Wheldon  :(

Written By: nally on 10/17/11 at 10:25 am

I hadn't heard of him either until seeing this on the TV news this morning. The crash was horrible! :\'( My thoughts go out to his family.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/11 at 12:26 pm

So sad.

Sir Jackie Stewart has questioned the safety of IndyCar racing following the death of Briton Dan Wheldon at the Las Vegas Indy 300 yesterday. Stewart, who won three Formula One championships, believes there are too many cars competing at too high speeds in IndyCar and certain problems need to be addressed. Stewart said: "I don't think you can stand still for safety. There's always an improvement to be made."

Written By: holicman on 10/18/11 at 2:33 am

This was really sad when I heard as this guy is the same age as me ! RIP dan Wheldon.......

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/11 at 11:48 am

The funeral of Dan Wheldon will take place on Saturday in his adopted home town of St Petersburg, Florida, where he lived with his wife and two young children.

Check for new replies or respond here...