inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Taste of Honey Playwright Shelagh Delaney dies at 71

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/11 at 2:04 pm

Playwright Shelagh Delaney, best known for A Taste of Honey, has died at the age of 71.

Her agent Jane Villiers confirmed the writer died of cancer at her daughter's Suffolk home on Sunday night.

Delaney was 19 when A Taste of Honey, about the friendship between a young pregnant woman and a gay artist, premiered in 1958.

A success in both London and New York, it was made into a Bafta-winning film in 1961, starring Rita Tushingham.

She wrote it in just two weeks, reworking material she had written for a novel.

The play, considered one of the era's "kitchen sink" dramas, portrayed working class life in Salford where Delaney grew up.

A Taste of Honey opened at Royal Stratford East in London, before moving to the West End in 1959, and was considered controversial at the time.

In 1960, it opened on Broadway in New York, with Joan Plowright as Jo and Angela Lansbury as her mother.

Plowright won a Tony award for her performance.

Delaney once described most theatre as "safe, sheltered, cultured lives in charmed surroundings, not life as the majority of ordinary people know it".

She added: "No-one in my play despairs. Like the majority of people, they take in their stride whatever happens to them and remain cheerful."

Delaney's subsequent work never reached the heights of her debut, but she continued to write scripts.

Her second play, The Lion in Love, was produced in 1960 in Coventry, and transferred to the Royal Court in London later that year.

She later wrote for film, TV and radio, including 1967's Charlie Bubbles, starring Albert Finney, and 1977's The House That Jack Built, which was later staged in New York.

She also wrote the screenplay for 1985's Dance With a Stranger, based on the life of Ruth Ellis, who in 1955 was the last woman in the UK to be hanged for shooting her partner.

Directed by Mike Newell, it starred Miranda Richardson as Ellis.

Delaney enjoyed further fame when Morrissey, lead singer with The Smiths, lifted several lines from her plays, including: "I dreamt of you last night and I fell out of bed twice."

Her image featured on the cover of the band's 1987 album, Louder Than Bombs.

Speaking to the NME in 1986, Morrissey said: "I've never made any secret of the fact that at least 50 per cent of my reason for writing can be blamed on Shelagh Delaney."

She is survived by her daughter, Charlotte, and three grandchildren.

Subject: Re: Taste of Honey Playwright Shelagh Delaney dies at 71

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/22/11 at 10:10 pm

"Get Down, Boogie Oogie Oogie" is still a disco classic.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/11 at 11:56 pm

"Get Down, Boogie Oogie Oogie" is still a disco classic.  8)

Nooo, Shelagh Delaney, ya mow-ron!

You actually used a phrase from "Taste of Honey" for one of your threads, "bun in the oven."

"Who's got a bun in the oven? Who's got a cake in the stove?"

"Wouldja like a coopa tay?"

I never saw a stage production of "Taste," but I love the film.  
(1961, director: Tony Richardson; featuring: Dora Bryan, Robert Stevens, Rita Tushingham, Murray Melvin)

You can see the whole movie in 10-minute slices on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdCcQ_aETOc&feature=related

Delaney enjoyed further fame when Morrissey, lead singer with The Smiths, lifted several lines from her plays, including: "I dreamt of you last night and I fell out of bed twice."*

Her image featured on the cover of the band's 1987 album, Louder Than Bombs.

Speaking to the NME in 1986, Morrissey said: "I've never made any secret of the fact that at least 50 per cent of my reason for writing can be blamed on Shelagh Delaney."

She is survived by her daughter, Charlotte, and three grandchildren.

*From "Reel Around the Fountain."

Another "Taste of Honey" line that comes to mind is: "The dream is gone but the baby is real" from "This Night has Opened My Eyes."

Written By: Howard on 11/23/11 at 6:32 am

"Get Down, Boogie Oogie Oogie" is still a disco classic.  8)

and "Sukiyaki".

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/11 at 7:09 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!    :\'(

A Taste of Honey is up there in my favorite all time movies, never get tired of it.  I wish she had written more, but there you have it.  RIP Shelagh.....RIP    :\'( :\'(

I shall watch it today. 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/11 at 7:16 am

Nooo, Shelagh Delaney, ya mow-ron!

You actually used a phrase from "Taste of Honey" for one of your threads, "bun in the oven."

"Who's got a bun in the oven? Who's got a cake in the stove?"

"Wouldja like a coopa tay?"

I never saw a stage production of "Taste," but I love the film. 
(1961, director: Tony Richardson; featuring: Dora Bryan, Robert Stevens, Rita Tushingham, Murray Melvin)

You can see the whole movie in 10-minute slices on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdCcQ_aETOc&feature=related

*From "Reel Around the Fountain."

Another "Taste of Honey" line that comes to mind is: "The dream is gone but the baby is real" from "This Night has Opened My Eyes."

1961  interracial sex, unwed pregnancy, homosexuality, all told very benignly without sensationalism, without apology, when all those topics were considered sensational. Director Tony Richardson at his best. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/11 at 10:22 am

and "Sukiyaki".

Yeah, that one rocked too.  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/25/11 at 7:33 am

and "Sukiyaki".

Yeah, that one rocked too.   8)

*sigh* 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/11 at 12:30 pm

*sigh* 

Don't let the philistines bring you down, man!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/26/11 at 5:16 am

Don't let the philistines bring you down, man!
;)

It's o.k. as long as I know there are others out there,  Montag with a book walking down the train tracks.

Check for new replies or respond here...