inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Game Over: Gary Garcia, of Buckner and Garcia's "Pac Man Fever" fame.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/24/11 at 3:19 am

Half of the duo behind 1982's Pac-Man Fever has played his last credit.  

RIP, Gary Lee Garcia, July 28, 1948 – November 17th, 2011

The original recording sources having been lost to the mists of time, Buckner and Garcia took the step of re-recording the entire album from scratch for its re-release in 1999.  For those who remember what all the fuss was about but don't have any vinyl handy (or who didn't buy the CD, or who didn't obtain the re-recorded version via other means), the album is available as a playable set of tracks on Rock Band on the Xbox 360.

For those who don't remember what the fuss was about, here's the whole story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1aaWYvveDs

(Wow.  I remember the single, I remember the LP, I remember the Pac-Man patters on the inside sleeve of the LP, but even I'd forgotten about the picture-disc version of the vinyl single.)

Almost 30 years after Pac-Man Fever, Gary Garcia remained a gamer to the end.  His last recording was:

XhgmVL_8Ur0

-  Found me the Bomb, a tribute to gaming site Giant Bomb.

Game over, Gary.  Congratuations and thanks for a game well-played.

Subject: Re: Game Over: Gary Garcia, of Buckner and Garcia's "Pac Man Fever" fame.

Written By: whistledog on 11/24/11 at 6:50 am

Buckner and Garcia had previously went under the name Willis 'The Guard' and Vigorish and had a minor hit in 1980 with a great Football themed Christmas song ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYwOJpkvHo

Pac-Man Fever is synonymous with 80s culture, and is a song that will be forever remembered

Subject: Re: Game Over: Gary Garcia, of Buckner and Garcia's "Pac Man Fever" fame.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/11 at 7:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdAPkk8yMM

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/24/11 at 10:22 am

I wonder, when they close his casket, if it will make that "bloo bloo bloo bloo bloo BOINK BOINK" sound like at the end of video games? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/24/11 at 6:43 pm

I wonder, when they close his casket, if it will make that "bloo bloo bloo bloo bloo BOINK BOINK" sound like at the end of video games? ???

I wonder about that. ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/25/11 at 6:33 pm

Remixes!  Come get your covers and remixes of Pac-Man Fever!  Almost three decades of 'em!

I managed to find a downloadable version of Intellivision tribute band Astrosmash's 2008 8-bit reboot.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/25/11 at 9:54 pm

eieOoUUl9RY

:\'( Sorry couldn't resist  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/11 at 11:39 pm

Did they devour him when he turned blue?
8)

Written By: Howard on 11/26/11 at 6:36 am

Did they devour him when he turned blue?
8)

If he ate a power pill, he'd be alive today. ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/26/11 at 9:08 pm

:\'( Sorry couldn't resist  ;D

No apology required; nothing is sacred around here!

I looked, but failed, to find a downloadable or YouTube copy of Barnes and Barnes I Had Sex With Pac-Man, (first aired on Demento 1982), just to prove to people that it existed.  

941ssF8yIr8

While we wait, how 'bout some Weird Al?  (I see what he did there at 1:52)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/11 at 9:34 pm

But goddam if it wasn't the most annoying song of the year!
::)

Written By: Howard on 11/27/11 at 6:45 am

But goddam if it wasn't the most annoying song of the year!
::)

It sounds annoying.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/11 at 6:48 am

Does anyone remember The Pac Man Cartoon from 1982-83 ? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/27/11 at 7:02 am

I have a set of Pac-Man folding dinner trays that I inherited from my parents.  8)

Written By: Howard on 11/27/11 at 7:11 am

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Nelsonic/Nelsonic-PacManButtons.jpg

1983 Pac Man Game And Watch

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/27/11 at 8:53 pm

Educational version:  For you young'uns, the line "All the patterns down, up until the ninth key?" refers to the fact that at level 21, the game is as difficult as it can possibly get.  Because Pac-Man lacked a random-number generator, all you had to do was play the demonstrated pattern (or its equivalent) successfully for another  Play this pattern (or one like it) flawlessly 234 times in a row - which takes a couple of hours - and at wave 256 (the "kill screen"), the 8-bit counter storing your level overflows, and the game ceases to be playable.

6cjiDxikg7A

Trippy Video version:  Footage from various games in the Pac-Man franchise:

htl_vwkZWHw

...ending with footage from the kill screen.

Audio is from electronic artist Aphex Twin, as Power Pill, from the 12" vinyl Pac-Man EP from 1992.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/11 at 7:11 am

Educational version:  For you young'uns, the line "All the patterns down, up until the ninth key?" refers to the fact that at level 21, the game is as difficult as it can possibly get.  Because Pac-Man lacked a random-number generator, all you had to do was play the demonstrated pattern (or its equivalent) successfully for another  Play this pattern (or one like it) flawlessly 234 times in a row - which takes a couple of hours - and at wave 256 (the "kill screen"), the 8-bit counter storing your level overflows, and the game ceases to be playable.

6cjiDxikg7A

Trippy Video version:  Footage from various games in the Pac-Man franchise:

htl_vwkZWHw

...ending with footage from the kill screen.

Audio is from electronic artist Aphex Twin, as Power PillPac-Man], from the 12" vinyl "Pac-Man" EP from 1992.

So what happens after The "The Kill" ending?  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/29/11 at 9:50 pm

So what happens after The "The Kill" ending?  ???

The game tries to draw 256 fruits, overwrites the memory used for its own display, and it looks about as bad as what I posted without hitting the preview button the other night? :)

2K7orNZNGU8.

A few of the dots are edible, but even though 9 dots reappear after every death, you have at most five lives - nowhere near enough to eat 240 dots and advance out of the board, effectively ending the game.  A complete description of the bug (with a fix) is here.  (The reverse-engineering was performed only a few years ago, and no fix for the bug was ever considered during the game's production run.  If you step through the video one frame at a time, you can see the overwriting process take place in the first four frames as the screen is drawn.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/11 at 10:29 pm

I have a set of Pac-Man folding dinner trays that I inherited from my parents.   8)

See, I knew it!  All you rich boys get started on Daddy's Pac-Man trays!

>:(

Written By: Howard on 11/30/11 at 6:36 am

The game tries to draw 256 fruits, overwrites the memory used for its own display, and it looks about as bad as what I posted without hitting the preview button the other night? :)

2K7orNZNGU8.

A few of the dots are edible, but even though 9 dots reappear after every death, you have at most five lives - nowhere near enough to eat 240 dots and advance out of the board, effectively ending the game.  A complete description of the bug (with a fix) is here.  (The reverse-engineering was performed only a few years ago, and no fix for the bug was ever considered during the game's production run.  If you step through the video one frame at a time, you can see the overwriting process take place in the first four frames as the screen is drawn.)

Isn't there a Level 3 which Pac Man gets married? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/01/11 at 10:19 pm

Isn't there a Level 3 which Pac Man gets married? ???

Not in Pac-Man's three intermissions.

1) Pac-Man chased by monster, comes back as giant-ass Pac-man.
2) Pac-man chased by monster, monster gets stuck on a nail and exposes leg.
3) Pac-man chased by monster with patched robe, monster runs away stark naked.

You're probably thinking about Ms. Pac-Man:

Act 1) They Meet: Mr. and Ms. Pac flee from monsters, bump into each other, kiss.
Act 2) The Chase: Pac and Ms. Pac chase each other at ever-increasing speed.
Act 3) Junior: A stork drops a little bundle of joy onto the charming couple.  Given the mores of the '80s, we're going to assume they probably got married because...

In Pac-Jr, set many years in the future, Pac-Man Jr. courts Yum-Yum (Blinky's daughter) in another 3-intermission series of acts.

Act 1) Pac-Jr meets Yum-Yum, mom eats a power pill, and both are separated by their overprotective parents.
Act 2) Pac-Jr leaves school and hands a balloon to Yum-Yum on a nearby bridge, under the watchful eye of a suspicious Blinky.
Act 3) Blinky is found out, chases Ms. Pac away, and Pac-Jr and Yum-Yum finally escape and get some alone-time :)

v8BT43ZWSTY

The Super Pac-Man intermissions can be seen at 0:44, 2:30, and 4:43 in the following playthrough:

2fUxOHVlqUU

1) Pac-man is chased by four ghosts, and escapes by turning into a super-sized Pac-man flying overhead.
2) Pac-man is chased by a super-sized ghost, and turns the tables by turning into an even bigger Pac-man.
3) Pac-man is surrounded by two ghosts on either side, teleports away, and returns as a gargantuan Pac-man who crushes all four of 'em.

I've forgotten 1987's Pac-Mania, a couple of sequels that may or may not have had intermissions, and I haven't even seen 2011's Pac-Man Battle Royale in the wild, but there's 12 intermissions (3 from Pac, Ms. Pac, and Pac-Jr, plus three in that playthrough of Super Pac-Man) which should get you started.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/11 at 6:41 am

So why in the 30 years that Pac Man And Ms.Pac Man couldn't work on one screen together, It would get the job done quicker?  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/03/11 at 7:51 pm

So why in the 30 years that Pac Man And Ms.Pac Man couldn't work on one screen together, It would get the job done quicker?  ???

Because Google wasn't around 30 years ago.  (And because apart from Space Duel and Joust, there were few - if any - 2-player co-operative games in the 80s.)

But if you click that link, and click "insert coin" twice, that's precisely what you get: 2-player co-operative Pac-Man.  WASD controls Ms. Pac, arrow keys (or 8462 on a numeric keypad) control Pac-Man.  Nice work for the ambidextrous!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/11 at 8:41 pm

So why in the 30 years that Pac Man And Ms.Pac Man couldn't work on one screen together, It would get the job done quicker?  ???

Ms. Pac Man had a restraining order?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/04/11 at 1:06 am

???

y-61j-XuiSA

Only against Kelso in That 70s Show.  Can't say I blame her :)

Written By: Howard on 12/04/11 at 6:46 am

???

I was just saying Pac Man and Ms.Pac Man could've gobbled down power pellets and ate ghosts on one screen instead of having them being separate.

Check for new replies or respond here...