inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brazil football legend Socrates dies at 57

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/11 at 5:17 am

Former Brazil captain Socrates has died at the age of 57.

He had been in a critical condition with an intestinal infection since being admitted to intensive care on Friday at a hospital in Sao Paulo.

Socrates, who was widely regarded as one of the greatest ever midfielders, was moved onto a life support machine on Saturday.

He played in two World Cups, won 60 caps for his country between 1979 and 1986 and scored 22 goals.

The former Corinthians player, whose full name was Socrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Sousa Vieira de Oliveira, was taken to the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo with food poisoning on Friday, according to his wife.

A hospital statement said on Saturday that the former footballer was "in a critical condition due to a septic shock of intestinal origin".

It added he was breathing with a ventilator and using a dialysis machine.

Socrates was taken to hospital twice in August and September this year with bleeding in his digestive tract.

After these incidents he admitted he had problems with alcohol, especially so during his playing career. He is also well known for his smoking habit.

In a recent television interview, Socrates said he had considered alcohol his "companion" but believed its regular use did not affect his performance on the field.

"Alcohol did not affect my career, in part because I never had the physical build to play this game," he said.

"Soccer became my profession only when I was already 24. I was too thin and when I was young I did not have the opportunity to prepare myself physically for the sport."

SOCRATES FACTFILE

Born on 19 February 1954 in Belem do Para, Brazil
Rated as one of the greatest midfielders of all-time
At 6ft 4in tall he was known for his physical strength, as well as two-footed vision and skill
Played for Botafogo and Corinthians in Brazil before a one-season spell at Fiorentina
Saw out his career with Flamengo and Santos before retiring in 1989 aged 35
    In 2004 aged 50, Socrates made an appearance as sub for Garforth Town in the Northern Counties League after a one-off deal to become player-coach

Subject: Re: Brazil football legend Socrates dies at 57

Written By: holicman on 12/05/11 at 2:53 am

One of the most underrated footballers of his time, awesome to watch him play in the 82 wold cup, arguably the best brazilian side never to win the world cup.
RIP socrates .......

Check for new replies or respond here...