inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: M*A*S*H's Col. Potter rides Sophie into the sunset.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/07/11 at 2:43 pm

I must sadly report that Harry Morgan, the 4077's beloved Colonel Sherman T. Potter, passed away today at age 96. This is the first death of a M*A*S*H character since the evil Col. Flagg(Edward Winter) died in 2003. Besides M*A*S*H, Harry appeared on the classic TV show Dragnet(as well as the 1987 film adaptaion) and multiple Disney movies, mostly westerns.
I readily admit, the Colonel was one of my favorite characters at the 4077, and must raise a glass in admiration for his longevity. This helps a lot, for no surgeon can fix it when your heart breaks. While gruff as grunt(he began regular army before turning to medicine), the man was a true officer and gentleman, and as spirited as the cowboys he looked up to. You will truly be missed, Harry. No rerun of M*A*S*H or Dragnet will ever feel the same now, but you'll still make us smile.
Not to sound morbid, but now the oldest living M*A*S*H actor is 93-year-old Allan Arbus, a.k.a Dr. Sidney Freedman. So to Sherman and Sidney fans everywhere, I say:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants, and Slide On The Ice!"

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Subject: Re: M*A*S*H, Col. Potter rides Sophie into the sunset.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/11 at 3:00 pm

Oh man. We watch M*A*S*H just about every night. We have ALL 11 seasons on DVD and watch at least two or three eps a night. Truly the BEST t.v. show EVER!!!! Col. Potter is definitely my absolute favorite character (followed by Klinger & Father Malcahey.) 

I remember in the movie "Support Your Local Gunfighter," he had a classic line, "Gentlemen, start your jackasses."

He is really going to be missed.

R.I.P.

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: ninny on 12/07/11 at 3:34 pm

Very sorry to hear this. M.A.S.H was one of my fathers favorite programs. R.I.P  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/11 at 4:21 pm

I thought it was HENRY Morgan who played Col. Potter. ???

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/07/11 at 4:43 pm

I thought it was HENRY Morgan who played Col. Potter. ???

Same guy, LB. Born Henry, but changed it professionally to Harry(legally, I don't know).

I can see most of the surviving M*A*S*H cast arguing over who gets to eulogize Morgan at the memorial. 'Hawkeye'(Alan Alda) and 'Radar'(Gary Burghoff) were probably the closest to him, but the most qualified speaker would most likely be 'Padre'(William Christopher). Then again, I suppose everyone will have to be allowed a turn, even Hot Lips and Klinger.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/11 at 4:59 pm

Now he and Larry Linville ('ferret face') can watch M*A*S*H reruns on that big screen TV in the sky.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/11 at 5:11 pm

:(  This news made me a sad panda.  I love Col. Potter. 

Rest In Peace, Mr. Morgan. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/11 at 5:26 pm

Now he and Larry Linville ('ferret face') can watch M*A*S*H reruns on that big screen TV in the sky.  :)

Don't forget McLean Stevenson. He was the first one to go.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/11 at 6:04 pm

Cat

Other cast members that are now gone include Mako, Jack Soo, Sorrell Booke, Pat Morita, and Roy Goldman.  :-\\

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/07/11 at 9:17 pm

Other cast members that are now gone include Mako, Jack Soo, Sorrell Booke, Pat Morita, and Roy Goldman.  :-\\

And Johnny Haymer as Sgt. Zale. I doubt that Klinger shed too many tears over him, they never got along.
Anyone else remember John Ritter, Leslie Nielsen, and Patrick Swayze as guest stars? Swayze played a soldier all set to donate blood to save his comrade, only to learn he was dying of leukemia. An eerie foreshadowing of a real-life tragedy. :\'(
Mike Farrell(B.J. Hunnicutt) was right, M*A*S*H was never about Korea or Vietnam, it truly showed the idiocy and horror of all wars.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 12/08/11 at 6:56 am

Other cast members that are now gone include Mako, Jack Soo, Sorrell Booke, Pat Morita, and Roy Goldman.   :-\\

At least we still have Alan Alda.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/11 at 6:57 am

Very sorry to hear this. M.A.S.H was one of my fathers favorite programs. R.I.P  :\'(

My father used to watch it too.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/11 at 6:58 am

RIP Harry Morgan.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/11 at 11:50 am

And Johnny Haymer as Sgt. Zale. I doubt that Klinger shed too many tears over him, they never got along.
Anyone else remember John Ritter, Leslie Nielsen, and Patrick Swayze as guest stars? Swayze played a soldier all set to donate blood to save his comrade, only to learn he was dying of leukemia. An eerie foreshadowing of a real-life tragedy. :\'(
Mike Farrell(B.J. Hunnicutt) was right, M*A*S*H was never about Korea or Vietnam, it truly showed the idiocy and horror of all wars.

Your Pal,
Doc

The ep with Patrick Swayze was called "Blood Brothers" and IMO one of the best. BTW Patrick Swayze didn't die of leukemia, it was pancreatic cancer-the same thing that my Dad & my aunt (his sister) are dying from.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/08/11 at 12:14 pm

The ep with Patrick Swayze was called "Blood Brothers" and IMO one of the best. BTW Patrick Swayze didn't die of leukemia, it was pancreatic cancer-the same thing that my Dad & my aunt (his sister) are dying from.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I understand that, Cat, and am truly saddened about your father and aunt. I simply meant the episode foreshadowed Patrick being taken from us far too soon, what type of cancer made no difference. I didn't recall that the episode was "Blood Brothers", but very apropos.
All the moments, albeit sarcastically, they spoke of 'better care through suffering', why can't they discover cures for all cancers through wartime medical research? Can't any good come out of all the stupidity!? >:(

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/11 at 1:02 pm

Same guy, LB. Born Henry, but changed it professionally to Harry(legally, I don't know).

There was already a character actor named Henry Morgan on the SAG listing, so the other one changed his name to Harry Morgan.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/11 at 1:04 pm

At least we still have Alan Alda.
...and Loretta Swit

Written By: Tia on 12/08/11 at 2:31 pm

Cat
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/717/hellopoiuygftyy.JPG

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/11 at 2:50 pm

Hello Larry?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/08/11 at 7:22 pm

...and Loretta Swit

Alan Alda
Wayne Rogers
McLean Stevenson
Loretta Swit
Larry Linville
Gary Burghoff
Mike Farrell
Harry Morgan
Jamie Farr
William Christopher
David Ogden Stiers

Written By: Howard on 12/08/11 at 7:23 pm

Hello Larry?

Cat

Wasn't that an episode on Different Strokes? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/15/11 at 4:42 pm

Say it ain't so!  I love M.A.S.H!  He was good in Dragnet too.  I'm really sad about this  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Thanks for the laughs and the smiles, Harry Morgan.  You will be greatly missed.  R.I.P.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/15/11 at 6:45 pm

Alan Alda
Wayne Rogers
McLean Stevenson
Loretta Swit
Larry Linville
Gary Burghoff
Mike Farrell
Harry Morgan
Jamie Farr
William Christopher
David Ogden Stiers
. W. Bailey

...and G

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/23/12 at 8:43 pm

And Jeff Maxwell as Igor, the food server.

Subject: Re: M*A*S*H's Col. Potter rides Sophie into the sunset.

Written By: holicman on 02/24/12 at 6:09 pm

Allan Arbus is still alive at 93. He played doctor Sidney Freeman.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/24/12 at 6:21 pm

Allan Arbus is still alive at 93. He played doctor Sidney Freeman.

Wow I did not realize he was that old.  :o

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/24/12 at 8:10 pm

Alan Alda
Wayne Rogers
McLean Stevenson
Loretta Swit
Larry Linville
Gary Burghoff
Mike Farrell
Harry Morgan
Jamie Farr
William Christopher
David Ogden Stiers

ah, McLean Stevenson (Col. Henry Blake) and Larry Linville (Maj. Frank Burns) died awhile ago.  As did Staff Sergeant Zelmo Zale US Army E-6.svg which was portrayed by Johnny Haymer. Zale was the supply sergeant for the 4077th MASH and also was the camp's electrician; he was shown trying to keep the camp's generator going until it blew and repairing the juke box in the officers' club after the Marines busted it up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/12 at 11:17 am

ah, McLean Stevenson (Col. Henry Blake) and Larry Linville (Maj. Frank Burns) died awhile ago.  As did Staff Sergeant Zelmo Zale US Army E-6.svg which was portrayed by Johnny Haymer. Zale was the supply sergeant for the 4077th MASH and also was the camp's electrician; he was shown trying to keep the camp's generator going until it blew and repairing the juke box in the officers' club after the Marines busted it up.

What I remember of Zale is the line: Ask me, 'what's the capital of Cleveland'."

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/26/12 at 12:59 am

I'm sure that Edward Winter, the dude that played Colonel Fragg, has passed on.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/12 at 7:50 am

I saw a performance that McL Stevenson did at some sort of event that he was speaking at.  His performance was unneccessarily foul-mouthed and came across as simply coarse. (It was an event where profanity would not be considered appropriate as I recall)

Check for new replies or respond here...