inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Former Lancashire & England player Roy Tattersall dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/11 at 11:22 am

Former Lancashire and England spinner Roy Tattersall has died aged 89.

Tattersall took 58 wickets in 16 Test matches and was part of the Red Rose team that shared the County Championship in 1950.

He made his England debut against Australia in Adelaide in 1951 and claimed 1,369 wickets in his first-class career between 1948 and 1964.

Tattersall took 7-52 against South Africa at Lord's the same year and 9-40 against Nottinghamshire in 1953.

The figures remain the best by any bowler for Lancashire, although left-arm spinner Simon Kerrigan took 9-51 against Hampshire in the penultimate game of the 2011 season, in which the Red Rose enjoyed their first County Championship success in 61 years.

Tattersall had recently contributed a foreword to the book about Lancashire's triumph last season, entitled 'Champions...About Bloomin' Time'.

He wrote: "Although I can't get to the games now, I still watch them closely on television.

"As the final matches were being played at Worcester, Liverpool and Taunton, I was struck by the similarities between the current Lancashire team and the 1950 side which shared the title with Surrey."

In the 1950 season, Tattersall claimed 193 wickets at an average of 13.59 after converting from a seamer to an off-spinner.

His performance that campaign earned Tattersall the inaugural Cricket Writers' Club Young Cricketer of the Year award.

He enjoyed success on England's tour to India in 1951 and played two further Tests before Jim Laker became England's first choice off-spinner.

Subject: Re: Former Lancashire & England player Roy Tattersall dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/11 at 11:23 am

ROY TATTERSALL'S FIRST CLASS BOWLING CAREER

Matches: 328
Wickets: 1,369
Average: 18.03
Economy: 2.08
Five-wicket hauls: 99
10-wicket hauls: 18

Check for new replies or respond here...