inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: On The Buses writer Ronnie Wolfe dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/11 at 1:11 am

Ronnie Wolfe, the writer of television sitcom On The Buses, has died after hitting his head in a fall, his son-in-law said.

Mr Wolfe, 89, died on Sunday, three days after he fell down the stairs at a respite home in London.

The comedy show was first broadcast from 1969 to 1973 on LWT and ran for four series.

Arif Hussein, the husband of Mr Wolfe's daughter Kathryn, said his father-in-law was "absolutely wonderful".

"He was the kind of father-in-law most people dream about, absolutely.

"Most people talk about their in-laws as people who are interfering, but to me my in-laws were a dream.

"Ronnie was from day one, he was absolutely wonderful."

On the Buses was set in a bus depot, and was initially rejected by the BBC before finding a home at LWT and becoming hugely popular.

Its stars included Reg Varney, who played driver Stan Butler, and Stephen Lewis as Inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake.

Mr Wolfe created dozens of comedies with writing partner Ronald Chesney - the pair were known as The Other Two Ronnies. Their work included the BBC hit The Rag Trade, which also starred Varney.

Mr Chesney said: "We were together 50 years - it's like losing my brother."

Mr Wolfe also worked with many of the best-known actors of the era, including Kenneth Williams, Barbara Windsor, Sheila Hancock, Beryl Reid, Thora Hird and Benny Hill.

His wife Rose said it had been a sad end.

"It has been a really, really sad last few days and a quite horrendous and totally unexpectedly sad end for a guy who was so funny in life," she said.

"He was the most incredible husband and we had 58 years of superb marriage harmony."

The couple have two daughters. The eldest, Kathryn, said she could not have wished for a better father: "He was funny in public with the huge legacy left behind and funny in private."

Check for new replies or respond here...