inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cracked.com: 11 Overlooked Deaths Of 2011

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/27/11 at 6:53 pm

Kind of an interesting article, the entry about Tura Satana seemed particularly cool.  8)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19615_where-arenE28099t-they-now-11-overlooked-deaths-2011.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Subject: Re: Cracked.com: 11 Overlooked Deaths Of 2011

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/28/11 at 3:50 am

Wow it's the first I saw this. Satana played an awesome guitar.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/28/11 at 9:30 pm

#0: Dennis Ritchie passed one year after Steve Jobs.

It may have taken Jobs to make the world pretty and usable, but it took Dennis Ritchie to make world.

main()
{
       printf("Goodbye, World");
}

Without Ritchie, there would have been no UNIX, no C, and consequently no Mach kernel, no NeXT, and no OS X.  The entire history of computing would have evolved differently from about 1970 onwards.  Woz, Jobs, and Gates would likely have ended up in computing during the early '80s when 8-bit microcomputers - the first computers cheap enough that hobbyists could purchase or build their own, even though they weren't powerful enough to run C compilers or "real" multiuser/multitasking operating systems - came onto the scene.  All that can be said for the proto-Apples and proto-Microsofts of such an alternate timeline is that their future development and the operating systems they ran would have been unrecognizably different without the C programming language.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/11 at 11:33 pm

For me it was the death of Milton Babbitt on 1/29/11. 

It was not missed.  The New York Times gave him a lengthy obituary and the music press wrote obits and memorial articles, but outside the confines of the academy and the insular community of contemporary classical/electronic music composers and performers, there was not much notice for the death of one of the 20th century's greatest composers.  Music geeks like me mourned Uncle Miltie, of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x74nQVgvSfQ&feature=related

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/29/11 at 1:51 am

That waas an interesting read.  I like how they included semi-famous animals.

Check for new replies or respond here...