inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coaching Legend Joe Paterno is gone

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/22/12 at 12:23 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2012-01-21/former-penn-state-coach-joe-paterno-dead/52737230/1

This is very sad!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Joe Paterno

Subject: Re: Coaching Legend Joe Paterno is gone

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/22/12 at 2:22 pm

It is certainly the end of an era.  :\'(

Joe was coach back in my Penn State days.  I remember seeing him at church and shaking his hand once or twice.  He was a decent guy in the big picture.

Now... as the Sandusky Scandal came to light, I wrote to the Board of Trustees and strongly recommended that Joe and the other figures be fired, immediately, and even on this sad day I stand by that advice.  This was a failing so great that such a severe action needed to take place.

But I am not one of the people who would like to vilify Joe Paterno.  He spent his life leading people, setting an example, and developing hundreds/thousands of young men who got to see football glory AND the unlikely prospect of a decent college degree too.  Joe Paterno's players had the highest gradiation rate in the NCAA, and there was no difference in the grad rates between white and black players, which is almost unheard-of in college ball.

Joe was a huge philanthropist, and on more than one occasion he turned down the "big bucks" of the NFL to continue his vocation at Penn State.

So I say of Joe Paterno... He certainly was not a perfect man but he did one hell of a good job overall.

RIP Joe.  Thanks for all the football excitement, but moreso for being a positive factor in the lives of so many young people.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/23/12 at 6:42 am

RIP Joe Paterno. :\'(

Written By: Brian06 on 01/23/12 at 8:49 am

RIP sad that he only lived for 2 months after leaving his job of what 60 or so years.  :(

Check for new replies or respond here...