inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thomas Kinkade, the 'Painter Of Light' has suddenly died at 54

Written By: nally on 04/07/12 at 12:15 am

I was shocked to find out about this. In the story I found at the link below, it says he died "of natural causes", but 54 seems rather young. :\'(

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_20344195/thomas-kinkade-one-nations-most-popular-painters-dies

Thomas Kinkade, the "Painter of Light" and one of the most popular artists in America, died suddenly Friday at his Los Gatos home. He was 54.

His family said in a statement that his death appeared to be from natural causes.

"Thom provided a wonderful life for his family," his wife, Nanette, said in a statement. "We are shocked and saddened by his death."

His paintings are hanging in an estimated one of every 20 homes in the United States. Fans cite the warm, familiar feeling of his mass-produced works of art, while it has become fashionable for art critics to dismiss his pieces as tacky. In any event, his prints of idyllic cottages and bucolic garden gates helped establish a brand -- famed for their painted highlights -- not commonly seen in the art world.

"I'm a warrior for light," Kinkade told the Mercury News in 2002, alluding not just to his technical skill at creating light on canvas but to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. "With whatever talent and resources I have, I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."

His Media Arts Group company surged to success, taking in $32 million per quarter from 4,500 dealers across the country 10 years ago, before it went private in the middle of the past decade. The cost of his paintings range from hundreds of dollars to more than $10,000.

*snip*

Authorities would not have the official cause of death for at least a few days. Police referred comment to the coroner, who was unavailable late Friday. Friends and family on Friday began planning a private service and were weighing a public celebration for a later date.

Despite Kinkade's death, his paintings will live on.

"Art is forever," Kinkade told "60 Minutes" in 2007. "It goes front and center on your wall, where everyday the rest of your life you see that image. And it is shaping your children, it's shaping your life."

My parents were huge fans of his artwork; in fact, my mom has been getting wall calendars every year featuring twelve of his paintings.

Subject: Re: Thomas Kinkade, the 'Painter Of Light' has suddenly died at 54

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/12 at 12:40 am

A few years ago, I wandered into an art gallery that only sold his paintings.  I was really drawn to one of his of a fisherman in a row boat, but it was some $800 (that I did not have). 

I always thought how idyllic it'd be to live in one of those pretty cottages he is famous for.

http://www.kraftmstr.com/kinkade/k047/pic1s.jpg

http://www.mainstreetinboerne.com/gardenpath/Assets/lakesidehideaway.jpg
http://www.mainstreetinboerne.com/gardenpath/Assets/perseverance.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 04/07/12 at 9:14 am

54 is young, nally, but when it is your time it is your time.  Death doesn't respect age.

Rest in peace, Mr. Kincade.  The world lost a great artist.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/12 at 4:36 pm

I vaugely remember reading in Guidepost magazine once that one of the reason that he always painted lights on in the cottages in his paintings, was that he used to be a latch-key kid and coming home to an empty house was always scary.  :(

Written By: amjikloviet on 04/07/12 at 4:43 pm

My God, I just can't believe it...so sad. I am in shock right now.

:\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/08/12 at 1:24 pm

Sad as this is, it is very heartening to see such an outpouring of appreciation and respect. Yesterday the man had not even been dead for 24 hours, and there was an appalling and inexcusable avalanche of insults, accusations of corruption, and general hate-spews against him on the Huffington Post. I did what I could to counteract it, but I felt like one shoal rock against a tidal wave. How could a man who brought so much joy to people the world over(including members of my family) deserve to be spit on by so many? Some people can be truly shameless. I can't imagine this having happened to Norman Rockwell or Walt Disney, the men Thomas said inspired him the most.

Anyway, I have endeavored to give my mother something showcasing his work every Christmas and Mother's Day for years, usually a calendar, set of mugs, t-shirt, and I have long been a fan of his novels, the Cape Light and Angel Island series. They are sometimes a nice break from the Sci-Fi Adventures, Political Intriguers, and Murder Mysteries I usually read. I hope his writing partner Katherine Spencer continues the stories. Thank you, Mr. Kinkade, for bringing light and peace into our homes and world which is so often flooded by depression and chaos. Enjoy your rewards, and by those who appreciate your noble work, you will never be forgotten.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/08/12 at 8:49 pm

How very sad!!!  Way too young  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Thomas Kinkade - you will live on in your beautiful artwork

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/12 at 10:24 pm

Yesterday the man had not even been dead for 24 hours, and there was an appalling and inexcusable avalanche of insults, accusations of corruption, and general hate-spews against him on the Huffington Post.

The hate arose from the fact that in addition to his art being truly kitschy, the guy had issues that eventually turned into serious business issues for those who took his work seriously. 

I come down as neutral on this front.  That the art world hated the guy and that his business practices were questionable don't change the fact that, well, the pictures are pretty.  Fer Dobbsakes, I watch My Little Pony, it's not like I'm immune from the urge to dive headfirst into kitsch.  But when you have to resort to the Bradford ("Proudly targeting bluehairs who don't know the difference between investable art and outright kitsch since the 80s") Exchange to hawk your wares, you've crossed a line.  At the higher end, c'mon, man, a giclee print with a couple of dabs of paint doesn't count.  That's just wrong.

So I'm gonna annoy everybody:

Photoshop Phriday: Paintings of Light, Part 1 and Part 2.  And SA's Memorial Thread.  Because back in the day, it wasn't very often that a Photoshop Phriday got two threads in quick succession.

RIP, Mr. Kinkade.  I've outlined my beefs against you.  Your art was kitsch, but it was pretty kitsch, and it made lots of people happy and in so doing, you pissed off the art community.  And for that, I applaud you.  RIP!

(If you happen to have some of his stuff and you want to sell it on eBay, this is your lastonly week to sell.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/12 at 11:19 am

I have always loved his paintings. A friend of mine once gave me a tin that had one of his paintings on it that held a candle inside. Shortly after, another friend gave me the exact same tin.  ;D ;D ;D  Both tins were sitting on the back of my toilet for the longest time (until just a few months ago). The issue I had with the paintings and a lot of them have some religious verse on them. I know that many people like that but I don't-so I stayed clear of those. I didn't know anything about the man, his business practices, or anything like that. I just liked his paintings.

54 years is WAY too young.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/11/12 at 11:40 pm

Kinkaide was pretty good I suppose, but he might have better lent his talents to paining cover art for prog rock bands!

R.I.P. Mr. K

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/12 at 2:34 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/showbiz/thomas-kinkade-autopsy/index.html

Valium does not mix well with alcohol.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/12 at 11:54 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/showbiz/thomas-kinkade-autopsy/index.html

Valium does not mix well with alcohol.  :-\\

Thanks for the follow-up. 

Ouch.  Or rather, lack-of-ouch.  Such a complete and total lack-of-ouch to the point that the brain can't even be bothered to ask the lungs to breathe.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/10/12 at 8:40 pm

I just ask myself...did he EVER keep the Faith?

I may make a song for him, though it's a month off, by using this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

Check for new replies or respond here...