inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: R.I.P. Chuck Colson

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/21/12 at 3:49 pm

This is very sad!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-04-21/charles-colson-dies-watergate/54457804/1

R.I.P. Chuck Colson

Subject: Re: R.I.P. Chuck Colson

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/12 at 5:17 pm

Chuck Rocked.  My Dad was part of the Committee to Re-Elect the President back in those days, but  ol' Chucky took things to a completely different level. (Dad did door to door canvassing but he did not have a little black bag with lock picks or listening devices.  ;D )

If you ever had a leak and needed to find a plumber quick, Chuck was your man.  Now some of the capers that the plumbers pulled off were clearly illegal, but I say to this that Daniel Ellsburg got what he had coming.

RIP Mr. Colson...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/12 at 11:34 pm

Cry me a ****ing river.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/22/12 at 10:13 am

Oh boo hoo...over it now...

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/22/12 at 12:15 pm

What Colson did was unexcusable, but I believe he is a true Christian even if it took prison to discover Christ.  For, that, he should be respected, but his past should not. RIP, Chuck.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/24/12 at 11:27 pm

Cry me a ****ing river.
::)

I'll give him this much - he was honest in that once bought, he stayed bought.  Loathe the man, loathe what he did, loathe what he did to rationalize it.  But I'm not too proud to salute a bad guy from an age in which even the criminals had the integrity to take the fall for their betters.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/12 at 10:38 am

I'll give him this much - he was honest in that once bought, he stayed bought.  Loathe the man, loathe what he did, loathe what he did to rationalize it.  But I'm not too proud to salute a bad guy from an age in which even the criminals had the integrity to take the fall for their betters.

Yep, that's gangster. Props to Colson for not being a rat.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/12 at 8:12 pm

Integrity?  Idiocy.  Better than what?  I worked with some guys who lived by that code and after spending 10, 15, 20, years behind bars because they wouldn't rat out their friends, meanwhile their betters, as you call them, go one with their lives and their families while the stand up guy rots in jail and his family suffers.  It is stupid, and the guys who took the fall figured that out, but way too late.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/26/12 at 6:00 am

Integrity?  Idiocy.  Better than what?  I worked with some guys who lived by that code and after spending 10, 15, 20, years behind bars because they wouldn't rat out their friends, meanwhile their betters, as you call them, go one with their lives and their families while the stand up guy rots in jail and his family suffers.  It is stupid, and the guys who took the fall figured that out, but way too late.

http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_arts_john/071708stopsnitch.jpg

I have a mixed position on the "No Snitichin'" movement.

If you are not involved in a crime, I have no probem with you ratting out whoever did it.  Especially if you are the victim.

However if somebody is part of the criminal enterprise and wishs to testify against their accomplice in the hopes of getting a lighter sentence, that makes them a rat.  No loyalty except to themselves.

Now... if one decides to not "snitch" but instead pursues street justice then I can't complain about that.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/12 at 7:56 am

http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_arts_john/071708stopsnitch.jpg

I have a mixed position on the "No Snitichin'" movement.

If you are not involved in a crime, I have no probem with you ratting out whoever did it.  Especially if you are the victim.

However if somebody is part of the criminal enterprise and wishs to testify against their accomplice in the hopes of getting a lighter sentence, that makes them a rat.  No loyalty except to themselves.

Now... if one decides to not "snitch" but instead pursues street justice then I can't complain about that.

There is a difference between not snitching and taking the fall.  If not talking gets you 25 years, and the guy who actually did the crime is willing to let you, while he walks free, your an idiot.  You can't pursue street justice locked up, and believe me, your friends on the outside aren't going to do that for you, more than likely they are gonna buddy up to the other guy to see what they can get.  Honor among thieves is the biggest joke.  The people who talk no snitching are the ones who do the most harm and have the most to lose, they are also the first ones to throw you under the bus. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/12 at 2:53 am

Honor among thieves is the biggest joke.  The people who talk no snitching are the ones who do the most harm and have the most to lose, they are also the first ones to throw you under the bus.

Wait, are we talking organized crime or disorganized crime here?  Because that's important.  (And because politics is a bit of both.)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/28/12 at 4:30 am

Wait, are we talking organized crime or disorganized crime here?  Because that's important.  (And because politics is a bit of both.)

Both.

I work in construction, a haven for wiseguys waiting sentencing.  I know a couple who did a lot of time for the crime, or crimes, of someone else because they wouldn't talk.  They take the fall, so do their families, and it is a myth that the mob takes care of the families of the guy.  The top guys may have an easier time in prison a la "Goodfellas", and they, usually, aren't the ones handed the long term sentences.  The true believer foot soldier who swallows the line may as well be dead and buried, about 5 years into it they begin to figure that out and wonder WTF.  Ten years into it they are well past the "I was f'n stupid, my life is ruined and there's nothin' I can do about it now." 

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/12 at 5:30 pm

There is a difference between not snitching and taking the fall.  If not talking gets you 25 years, and the guy who actually did the crime is willing to let you, while he walks free, your an idiot.  You can't pursue street justice locked up, and believe me, your friends on the outside aren't going to do that for you, more than likely they are gonna buddy up to the other guy to see what they can get.  Honor among thieves is the biggest joke.  The people who talk no snitching are the ones who do the most harm and have the most to lose, they are also the first ones to throw you under the bus.

But if you and a buddy commit a crime... you get caught and he does not... and you keep your mouth shut...  There is no grounds for street justice.  The fact that you got caught and he didn't is not an offense by him.

And while it is generally true that La Cosa Nostra no longer takes care of a soldier who takes his arrest like a man and keeps his mouth shut, this "lack of being taken care of" is one heck of alot better than how they take care of you if you rat them out.  You better be in the witness protection program.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/12 at 5:39 pm

But if you and a buddy commit a crime... you get caught and he does not... and you keep your mouth shut...  There is no grounds for street justice.  The fact that you got caught and he didn't is not an offense by him.

And while it is generally true that La Cosa Nostra no longer takes care of a soldier who takes his arrest like a man and keeps his mouth shut, this "lack of being taken care of" is one heck of alot better than how they take care of you if you rat them out.  You better be in the witness protection program.

Just say:

"I didn't see nothin,' officer."

Makes life a lot simpler.
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/12 at 8:33 am

Just say:

"I didn't see nothin,' officer."

Makes life a lot simpler.
8)

"I was looking the other way, Officer.  Fugeddaboutit...." 

Check for new replies or respond here...