inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch dies at age 47

Written By: Claybricks on 05/04/12 at 12:43 pm

May 04, 2012

Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch dies at age 47

The music world is mourning again. Adam Yauch, known as Beastie Boys rapper MCA, has died.

GlobalGrind.com reports that Yauch died after a long battle with cancer. He was 47.

In 2009, Yauch announced he was being treated for a cancerous parotid gland and a lymph node. He has since undergone surgery and radiation therapy. Yauch is survived by a wife and son.

MCA co-founded Beastie Boys in 1979 with Mike D, and Ad Rock. The group has won multiple Grammys and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

The Beastie Boys' most recent music video was released last year for the song Make Some Noise featuring stars including Rashida Jones, Will Arnett, Rainn Wilson, Amy Poehler, Steve Buscemi, Kirsten Dunst, Zach Galifianakis, Orlando Bloom, Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Jack Black.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/05/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-dies-at-age-47/1

Dan

Subject: Re: Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch dies at age 47

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/12 at 2:43 pm

RIP MCA. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/12 at 3:54 pm

So sad

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/04/12 at 4:12 pm

Rest In Peace, Adam.

"I Want To Say a Little Something That's Long
Overdue
The Disrespect To Women Has Got To Be Through
To All The Mothers And Sisters and The
Wives And Friends
I Want To Offer My Love And Respect To The
End"  - Adam Yaunch

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/04/12 at 4:34 pm

How will we now fight for our right to party?

RIP MCA....

Written By: Howard on 05/04/12 at 7:24 pm

How will we now fight for our right to party?

RIP MCA....

how will we able to sleep till Brooklyn?  :\'(

RIP Adam Yauch.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/04/12 at 7:26 pm

Wow, what a shock.  So sad. :(

Written By: Howard on 05/04/12 at 7:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y0cy-nvAg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/12 at 8:42 pm

Oh wow!  This is so sad.  The Beastie Boys were such an icon of my generation.  They were really the first successful marriage of hip-hop and punk rock.  The Beasties came down on the right side of the issues and put out a lot of great records on their Grand Royal label.

RIP Adam!
:\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/12 at 3:07 am

"HEY!  What's all this lyin' around s*bleep*t?"
  - Bluto, Animal House.

Howard's got the right idea.  I mean, is this silent moping around the sort of thing the Beasties would have wanted?  I say no.  Let's start from the beginning.  And let's rock hard.

0ilZshY6uUo
  - Beastie Boys, Rock Hard, 1984, feat. unlicensed and unauthorized samples that got them sued by AC/DC and makes this track hard to find on YouTube to the present day.

The track is almost five minutes long, not three-and-a-half, but that'll have to do.  I wish I could have found a version with better audio and the record logo. But I'm sure you can find a good rip with a little googling.  (Trivia moment: the depicted logo marks the start of the logo still used by Def Jam Recordings to this day.)

I remember the first time I heard this track.  I liked AC/DC.  I wasn't sure what to make of rap, but I liked what I'd been hearing lyrically.  And I liked bass.  And now, in one track, was harder rock than AC/DC, more arrogance than the hip-hop of the day, and during an era where most radio stations played both types of music: "rock" and "synthpop", here was a backbeat that slammed your ear like a sledgehammer.  Too much treble, midrange and bass...

RIP, MCA. 

And all y'all out there, post your memories of the band, and, of course, poast beast.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/12 at 6:42 am

They always kept their videos to an R rating.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/05/12 at 6:38 pm

Oh.... Now I know who Foo Bar is talking about with "RIP MCA".  :(

I never knew what names they went by, mainly because I didn't listen to them alot.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/05/12 at 6:42 pm

Has anybody seen one of those cool "MCA in Heaven" pictures yet?  I was Googling but I could not find any yet.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/05/12 at 7:24 pm

Has anybody seen one of those cool "MCA in Heaven" pictures yet?  I was Googling but I could not find any yet.  :-\\

I'll look for some.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/06/12 at 3:17 pm

How sad!  Much too young to go  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Adam Yauch

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/07/12 at 9:36 pm

"The worst part is that most of the time when you sample something, the people who made the original music don't really get paid anyway. Because there are so many layers in the situation now, some lawyer ends up seeing most of the money."
  - Wired, November 2004, The Remix Masters: Hip hop pranksters. Pop culture giants. Digital music pioneers. A conversation with the Beastie Boys.

The whole interview is worth reading, and highlights the changes in how the To The Five Boroughs-era Beasties went about creating music compared to their early work.

Speaking of remix, have some remix!  Specifically, the Beastie Boys remixed with themselves.

http://www.maxtannone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/dcyh_recipe_full.jpg

Album available as a download from Max Tannone's website: Doublecheck Your Head.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/12 at 11:53 pm

"The worst part is that most of the time when you sample something, the people who made the original music don't really get paid anyway. Because there are so many layers in the situation now, some lawyer ends up seeing most of the money."
  - Wired, November 2004, The Remix Masters: Hip hop pranksters. Pop culture giants. Digital music pioneers. A conversation with the Beastie Boys.

As goes sampling, so go record contracts!
8)

Written By: nally on 05/08/12 at 11:13 am

how will we able to sleep till Brooklyn?  :\'(

RIP Adam Yauch.

How sad!  Much too young to go  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Adam Yauch

I agree with you both. :\'( :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/12 at 11:50 pm

As goes sampling, so go record contracts! 8)

Needs moar remix!

http://www.djbc.net/beastles/letitbeastcolor.jpg

- DJ BC, The Beastles

Link goes to former Boston (now living and working in Atlanta) DJ Bob Cronin, aka DJBC's two full-length mashup albums of Beasties vs Beatles.  MP3s hosted on artist's website.

If you listen to nothing else tonight, here's the single: (2 Many Beastles), and it was almost eight years ago that the MFin' album came out.  DJ BC, you rock.

Check for new replies or respond here...