inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vidal Sassoon Dead: Hairdresser Dies At Age 84

Written By: Claybricks on 05/09/12 at 2:40 pm

Vidal Sassoon Dead: Hairdresser Dies At Age 84

Posted: 05/09/2012 3:24 pm Updated: 05/09/2012 3:32 pm

Vidal Sassoon is dead at age 84, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Sassoon, often referred to as the "founder of hairdressing," is credited with pioneering the bob haircut and launched a sprawling network of salons around the world. He was found dead in his Mulholland Drive home; authorities told the LA Times he died of an "unspecified illness."

Sassoon was reportedly fighting leukemia as of last year, after being diagnosed with blood cancer in 2009.

Sassoon grew up in England, where his mother, a single parent, placed Sassoon and his brother in a Jewish orphanage for seven years when she couldn't provide for the family, as Sassoon told the Telegraph in a 2011 interview:

"First of all what we truly have to look at is the situation. I was born in 1928 and by 1931 the Depression was beginning to mount. My father had left us, my brother, and myself. We were in Shepherd's Bush, but we were being evicted, we had nowhere to go."

Later, Sassoon fought in the Israeli army before beginning training as a hairdresser. He opened his first salon in London in 1954 and launched his own line of products in 1973 with the now-famous slogan, "If you don't look good, we don't look good."

Sassoon is most famous for the pixie cut he gave Mia Farrow for the famous film "Rosemary's Baby," which he says was necessary: "When I got to her there were bits that were about an inch and bits that were 10in. She didn't tell me what had happened. Her bone structure was beautiful. I told her that we had to go very short."

Sassoon is survived by his fourth wife Ronnie. He had four children; Catya, a mother of three, died in 2002 at age 33 of a drug-induced heart attack.

See pics from Vidal's life below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/vidal-sassoon-dead-dies_n_1503790.html

Dan

Subject: Re: Vidal Sassoon Dead: Hairdresser Dies At Age 84

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/12/12 at 4:18 pm

I was sorry to hear about this. Not really a person who gets his hair styled, with me a wash & cut with the occasional moussing will do, but the whole business may not have gotten off the ground without him. The truly sad thing is, now even if you do  look good, he still  won't look good! RIP, Vidal.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/12 at 7:28 pm

I used to buy his shampoo!

Written By: Howard on 05/12/12 at 8:13 pm

"If You Don't Look Good, We Don't Look Good".

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/13/12 at 1:21 am

"If You Don't Look Good, We Don't Look Good".

It's really great to look your best,
More beautiful each day
With silky, sexy, shiny hair,
The Vidal Sassoon way.

(Make Vidal Sassoon shampoo part of your daily three-step plan for beautiful hair.)

Cos if you don't look good, we don't look good,
We take pride in you,
If you don't look good, we don't look good,
Vidal Sassoon!

GiyAURzJRFU
  - Vidal Sassoon, 1981 commercial.

The jingle and the huge hair of the early 80s went away, but the slogan remained.

Model 1: "Thank you, Vidal!"
Model 2: "You've changed, Vidal!"
Model 3: "Thank you, Vidal!"

Vidal: "Because you're using more styling products, it's harder to get your hair really clean - and sexy.  But now you can, with my new Vidal Sassoon advanced salon formula.  The shampoo cleanses away styling buildup.  The conditioning finishing rinse leaves your hair radiant.  New advanced salon formula!"

Models: "Thank you, Vidal!"

m7SqJY5rIv4
  - Vidal Sassoon, 1987 commercial.

Vidal: "Because if you don't look good, we don't look good!"

Written By: Howard on 05/13/12 at 7:15 am

It's really great to look your best,
More beautiful each day
With silky, sexy, shiny hair,
The Vidal Sassoon way.

(Make Vidal Sassoon shampoo part of your daily three-step plan for beautiful hair.)

Cos if you don't look good, we don't look good,
We take pride in you,
If you don't look good, we don't look good,
Vidal Sassoon!

GiyAURzJRFU
  - Vidal Sassoon, 1981 commercial.

The jingle and the huge hair of the early 80s went away, but the slogan remained.

Model 1: "Thank you, Vidal!"
Model 2: "You've changed, Vidal!"
Model 3: "Thank you, Vidal!"

Vidal: "Because you're using more styling products, it's harder to get your hair really clean - and sexy.  But now you can, with my new Vidal Sassoon advanced salon formula.  The shampoo cleanses away styling buildup.  The conditioning finishing rinse leaves your hair radiant.  New advanced salon formula!"

Models: "Thank you, Vidal!"

m7SqJY5rIv4
  - Vidal Sassoon, 1987 commercial.

Vidal: "Because if you don't look good, we don't look good!"

Wow can't believe it's been 25 years.  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/12 at 1:15 pm

When I was in college, Vidal had an afternoon talk show on TV.  One day he was running some sort of story and they showed a topless woman.  Up until that time, me and my rommates had never heard of Vidal Sassoon.

After that episode, whenever the Vidal Sassoon Show was on, my roomates tuned in, hoping for a repeat.  ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/13/12 at 2:41 pm

Says hello to Mom for me in Heaven, please, Vidal. She was a beautician.

Check for new replies or respond here...