inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bee Gees Singer Robin Gibb Dead at 62

Written By: Claybricks on 05/20/12 at 6:01 pm

Bee Gees Singer Robin Gibb Dead at 62

Today 3:46 PM PDT by Joal Ryan

Another Saturday Night Fever coda: The Bee Gees' Robin Gibb died Sunday May 20 at 10:46 am. He was 62 years old, and had been battling colon cancer.

"The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery. The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time," Gibb's rep said in statement released to E! News.

Maurice Gibb, Robin's twin and bandmate, passed away in 2003.

"I think Robin, obviously, took Maurice's death very badly," a manager for the performer told London's Guardian in 2005.

MORE: Bee Gees Crooner Robin Gibb Back in Hospital for More Surgery

Along with Maurice and older brother Barry, Robin sang and co-wrote the biggest hits of the disco era.

Born Dec. 22, 1949, Robin Gibb was the elder twin by 35 minutes. While still a teenager, he and his British-born, Australian-raised brothers scored their breakthrough hit, "New York Mining Disaster 1941," a Beatles-esque tune penned by Robin and Barry.

Robin and Barry had a rocky relationship at times, and in 1969, one rough patch led Robin to leave the family act. "He went into his own world, became a recluse," Barry would later say. On his own, Robin scored the U.K. hit, "Saved By the Bell."

If Robin and Barry fought like brothers do, then they also made up like brothers do. In 1971, the duo wrote the Bee Gee's first No. 1 song in the United States, "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart."

The brothers were together for the biggest success of their careers: the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Robin Gibb said he and his brothers were given two weeks to produce new songs for the John Travolta movie, sight unseen.

MORE: Bee Gees' Robin Gibb Makes "Spectacular" Recovery

"We always write better quickly, when we're under pressure," he told the Associated Press in 1978.

Decades later, Robin Gibb would confess to still never having seen the iconic disco drama that featured several Bee Gees classics, including "Stayin' Alive," "How Deep Is Your Love," "Night Fever," "More Than a Woman," and "If I Can't Have You," which was written by the brothers, but performed by Yvonne Elliman.

"It's not that I can't watch it," Robin Gibb told the BBC. "It's just that I'm restless."

When disco crashed, the Bee Gees didn't get away unscathed. The group was marked by, Robin said, "the stain of the era." The brothers' big-screen musical misfire, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, didn't help, either. Ultimately, the group's wealth of hits won out, and the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

In 1988, the Gibbs' youngest brother, Andy Gibb, who'd had his own chart-topping success as a solo act, died at age 30 of heart inflammation. Maurice Gibb's death, at 53, came following surgery for an intestinal blockage.

MORE: Bee Gee Robin Gibb Says He's "On the Road to Recovery"

The years after Maurice's death saw Robin and Barry run hot and cold, sometimes returning to the stage together, sometimes keeping their distance.

"I think we got afraid of each other," Robin told CBS in 2010.

Robin Gibb made tabloid headlines in 2009 when the married man had a child with his housekeeper.

Robin Gibb's health problems began to mount in 2010, with hospitalizations and surgery that seemed eerily reminiscent of Maurice's woes. Early this year, in London's Daily Mail, Robin confirmed he was battling colon cancer that had spread to his liver, but noted that he "mostly felt great."

MORE: Report: Bee Gees Star Robin Gibb Battling Liver Cancer

Emergency surgery followed, as did canceled appearances. Most telling, he missed the London premiere of his first classical work, The Titanic Requiem, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the ship disaster.

This month, he slipped into a coma after contracting pneumonia, but rallied, a development his doctor called "remarkable."

In a 2010 Q-and-A with the Guardian, Robin was asked what music he'd like to have played at his funeral.

Some Mozart, he replied, and also "How Deep Is Your Love."

http://www.eonline.com/news/bee_gees_singer_robin_gibb_dead_62/308869

Dan

Subject: Re: Bee Gees Singer Robin Gibb Dead at 62

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/12 at 6:04 pm

Wow!  When it rains it pours!
:\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 05/20/12 at 6:07 pm

Okay, we knew this was coming but it still makes me very sad.

Rest in peace, Robin.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 05/20/12 at 6:11 pm

So now both of the twin brothers of the Bee Gees are gone. :\'( :\'( And only one of the brothers is left. :\'( :\'(

R.I.P. Robin...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/12 at 6:25 pm

Oh man! This is just so sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

I love his rendition of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHqTuUdDR4

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/12 at 6:28 pm

RIP Robin.  Thanks for all the memories.  :)

Seems like the Gibb Brothers were plagued by health problems, between Robin & Maurice's gastro problems and Andy's heart condition.  :-\\ 

Written By: Dagwood on 05/20/12 at 6:52 pm

Oh man! This is just so sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

I love his rendition of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHqTuUdDR4

Cat

Me too.  Then again I am one of the 10 people on the planet that love this movie.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/20/12 at 8:08 pm

I love the Bee Gees SO much! This is so sad, all of these great people dying. :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/12 at 8:13 pm

R.I.P. to a music legend.  His 1984 hit 'Boys do Fall in Love' has been a favourite of mine since I was a child.  The video for it was the first time I ever saw a CD player

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/20/12 at 8:20 pm

Just another sad death in the music industry this year: Whitney Houston, Donna Summer, and now Robin Gibb. (Peter Jones was another loss of a talented musician, just not as well known) RIP, good people.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/20/12 at 10:53 pm

Oh no!!!  Not completely unexpected, but utterly sad  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

He will be missed

R.I.P. Robin Gibb

Written By: Paul on 05/21/12 at 5:59 am

A great loss...at least his suffering has now ended... :(

It's extremely unlikely that we'll ever see a songwriting partnership like this again...

Written By: Howard on 05/21/12 at 7:09 am

So now both of the twin brothers of the Bee Gees are gone. :\'( :\'( And only one of the brothers is left. :\'( :\'(

R.I.P. Robin...

I hope Barry has the willpower to move on I know it's going to be hard but I wish him well.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/12 at 7:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

The Bee Gees will continue on to be the greatest.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 11:43 am

Me too.  Then again I am one of the 10 people on the planet that love this movie.

I'm wondering who the other 8 people are.  ;)

Cat

Written By: holicman on 05/21/12 at 4:15 pm

RIP Robin Gibb............ massive fan of the bee gees, really loved their earlier stuff.......... :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 05/21/12 at 5:51 pm

Cat

My sister is one ;D

Written By: gibbo on 05/21/12 at 10:22 pm

I hope Barry has the willpower to move on I know it's going to be hard but I wish him well.

... and in his favor... Barry's stayin' alive!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/12 at 5:19 am

The Bee Gees said it best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVTOMkJdqs

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 6:52 am

... and in his favor... Barry's stayin' alive!

and I hope he continues with The Bee Gees legacy.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 6:54 am

The Bee Gees said it best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVTOMkJdqs

Tragedy was a great song.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 7:00 am

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1082391.1337673948!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/22/12 at 7:31 am

There's this early morning show on the local community radio station called "Nocturnal Love" where they play love songs and ballads and they played "How Deep Is Your Love" by the Bee Gees, and after the song was over, the idiot DJ said he played it as a tribute to the passing of Barry Gibb and started going on and on about how he's been a fan of the Bee Gees all his life and what a great loss Barry was. And I was half-tempted to call him up and yell at him and tell him what a great big phony he was.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/12 at 12:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uzRYCFmUw

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/22/12 at 4:28 pm

Cat

I'm one of them.  lol  I had two copies of the soundtrack on cassette because I played it so much that it wore out.  Also had the souvenier book of the film.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 7:20 pm

There's this early morning show on the local community radio station called "Nocturnal Love" where they play love songs and ballads and they played "How Deep Is Your Love" by the Bee Gees, and after the song was over, the idiot DJ said he played it as a tribute to the passing of Barry Gibb and started going on and on about how he's been a fan of the Bee Gees all his life and what a great loss Barry was. And I was half-tempted to call him up and yell at him and tell him what a great big phony he was.  ::)

Tell me, is this DJ stupid? ::) >:(

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/12 at 8:47 pm

http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/ea6728e29fafd2bfced40484b1c4eadd/189003%20-%20Bee_Gees%20fluttershy%20Robin_Gibb%20tv_meme.jpg

Written By: dell on 05/24/12 at 3:07 pm

Bee Gees.
So much more talended than any act of the 80s and afterwards. I will miss Robin him more than I will miss MJ, Whitney & Donna Summer combined.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/12 at 12:48 pm

A private funeral for the late Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb will take place next week, with a public memorial service planned for later in the year.

The funeral, on Friday 8 June, will be "a private service for close family and friends", a statement said.

The family requested that those attending offer donations, rather than flowers, to two children's charities on the Isle of Man, where Gibb was born.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/12 at 1:40 pm

A private funeral for the late Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb will take place next week, with a public memorial service planned for later in the year.

The funeral, on Friday 8 June, will be "a private service for close family and friends", a statement said.

The family requested that those attending offer donations, rather than flowers, to two children's charities on the Isle of Man, where Gibb was born.

and someone will be playing "How Deep Is Your Love".

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/05/12 at 3:07 pm

I shall always enjoy The Bee Gees of the late-60's...

1gewTWM6fH0

And who cried at the 1st of May...the fans of The Bee Gees :\'( :\'( :\'(...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/12 at 2:47 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60784000/jpg/_60784138_carr.jpg

Hundreds of fans line the streets of Thame in Oxfordshire to pay their final respects to the Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb before his funeral is held.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/12 at 6:07 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60784000/jpg/_60784138_carr.jpg

Hundreds of fans line the streets of Thame in Oxfordshire to pay their final respects to the Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb before his funeral is held.

They haven't buried him yet?  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/08/12 at 7:41 pm

That's what I was thinking too.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/12 at 3:58 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60787000/jpg/_60787918_layrose.jpg

Barry Gibb is the only surviving member of the Bee Gees trio

Written By: Howard on 06/09/12 at 6:41 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60787000/jpg/_60787918_layrose.jpg

Barry Gibb is the only surviving member of the Bee Gees trio

hope he lives a good rest of his life. It won't be the same anymore.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/12 at 6:44 am

Buried yesterday.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/12 at 4:27 pm

Buried yesterday.

What took so long? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/12 at 4:30 pm

What took so long? ???
As yet I cannot answer that question, but I am researching into it.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/12 at 7:30 pm

What took so long? ???

maybe the fans wanted to give their last respects.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/12 at 5:52 am

maybe the fans wanted to give their last respects.
To my knowledge he was laid out in state for fans to view.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/12 at 6:33 pm

To my knowledge he was laid out in state for fans to view.

Which state?  I thought his funeral was in England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/12 at 1:35 am

Which state?  I thought his funeral was in England.
Lying in state is a term used to describe the tradition in which a coffin is placed on view to allow the public at large to pay their respects to the deceased.

Check for new replies or respond here...