inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eduard "Trolololol" Khil, aged 77

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/12 at 10:58 pm

"I Am So Happy to Finally Be Back Home"

Thereby hangs a tale about this song. Lyrics were written for it, but they were poor. I mean, they were good, but one couldn't publish them at that time. They contained words like these: "I'm riding my stallion, so-and-so mustang, and my beloved Mary is thousand miles away knitting a stocking for me". Of course, we failed to publish it at that time, and we, Arkady Ostrovsky and I, decided to make it a vocalise. But the essence remained in the title. Yes, it's a little prankish – it has no lyrics, so we had to make up something for people would listen to it, and so there was an interesting arrangement.

Lyrics that portrayed the life of a cowboy, the open plains, and anything resembling the American West in a positive light were too politically-sensitive for the Soviet Union.  So - why sing any lyrics?  Just vocalize.  And now you know why he seems to be having so much as he sings it: everybody knew the words, and as long as nobody sang them, everybody could enjoy the song without anybody having to answer for it.

oavMtUWDBTM

- Eduard Khil, vocalizing Arkady Ostrozy's "I Am So Happy to Finally Be Back Home", Little Blue Light, ca. 1976.

Almost 35 years after Eduard Khil trolled the USSR in 1976...

OfaCTg_2les

...and in 1984:

OfaCTg_2les

After being discovered by the Internet, Khil enbraced his role:

oRefK6OyvHU

and returned the favor with glee. 

PL8CD8PjVmA

Here he is what is probably his last broadcast performance, early in 2012.  Now that you're truly back home, Eduard, we'll miss you.  Whatever gods may exist, may you trolololol them for eternity.

RIP, Eduard Khil, aged 77.

Edit: I got the years wrong the first time around.  /fail and /fixed.

Subject: Re: Eduard "Trolololol" Khil, aged 77

Written By: Macaroni Man on 06/20/12 at 9:55 pm

Needs replies. 

Like the subjects of any other meme, or any other old geezer, he had the right to be a mad elderly gentleman about the rotten kids on the internet, but instead " embraced his new role" as you put it, letting himself be recognized as a good sport and roll model.  However, I don't think I ever knew the back story about how the Soviet Union rejected the song's lyrics, so that interested me.  Now all that's left to do is PARODY IT!!!  ...Nah. 

Though Khil maybe gone, his legacy will live on through the numerous 10-hour loops on YouTube.  (damn 10 hour loops)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJL4Y3aGPuA In case it isnt showing up still: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJL4Y3aGPuA

By the way, I think you put in the same video twice for the third and fifth ones. 

Subject: Re: Eduard "Trolololol" Khil, aged 77

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/21/12 at 12:11 am

By the way, I think you put in the same video twice for the third and fifth ones.

Karma for the correction.  I not only screwed that up, I also failed at cut-and-paste to the 1984 recording.  It's fixed.  I think.  I also wasn't aware of the ORIGINAL original, from 1968!

GGEOZSY8ipk

That's probably the one that he vocalized to avoid "trouble" (we're talking 5 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis).  There must be an interesting story behind how he got invited back to perform the 1976 version (the one that the Internet glommed onto), because 1976 wasn't exactly that great a time in US/USSR relations.  (Although it was a damn sight better than the 60s...)

The guy managed to become a meme in two completely separate cultures, two generations apart, and for completely unrelated reasons.  Deeper I dig down this rabbit hole, the more fascinating the story becomes.

Check for new replies or respond here...