inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock guitarist Bob Welch has taken his own life

Written By: nally on 06/07/12 at 4:52 pm

Multiple sources are stating that Bob Welch, a singer and guitarist who was a member of Fleetwood Mac from 1971-74 (as well as other bands), has reportedly killed himself. He was either 65 or 66. (Several news sources say he was 65, but some sites list his birth date as August 1945, making him 66 on his last b'day.)

Bob Welch, the influential guitarist and vocalist for Fleetwood Mac in the band's early days, took his life today at his Nashville-area home, WKRN-TV reports.

Welch, 65, died of a self-inflicted gunshot to the chest. His wife found him about 12:15 p.m. at their home in Antioch. He had recently suffered undisclosed health issues, a Metro police spokesperson said.

Welch played with Fleetwood Mac in the early to mid-1970s, before the group achieved superstar status with Fleetwood Mac (1975) and Rumours (1977).

He joined the band in 1971 when it was an English blues band and helped shape its future sound and attract an American audience. He played on five records -- Future Games, Bare Trees, Penguin, Mystery to Me and Heroes Are Hard to Find, the band's first to crack the U.S. Top 40. He was also responsible for two early hits, Sentimental Lady and Hypnotized.

Welch left the band in late 1974, replaced by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, who helped catapult the group to stardom. He had some success as a solo artist in the late 1970s.

Born into an entertainment family, his father, Robert, produced several hit films for Paramount Pictures in the 1940s and 1950s, and his mother, Templeton, was a singer and actress who worked with Orson Welles' Mercury Theater in Chicago.

Always so sad when someone resorts to suicide. :\'( :\'( :\'( RIP Mr. Welch.

Subject: Re: Rock guitarist Bob Welch has taken his own life

Written By: Claybricks on 06/07/12 at 5:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SqYMgKhsk

Hypnotized, written by Bob Welch {1973}

R.I.P. Bob

Dan

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/07/12 at 6:08 pm

This is really sad!  Love 'Sentimental Lady'  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Bob Welch

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/12 at 6:49 pm

This is very sad news :(
I still really love 'Precious Love', one of the best songs of the 70s.  You brought us great music Bob.  R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNiJx_WMB_s

Written By: Howard on 06/07/12 at 7:42 pm

RIP Bob Welch.  :(

Written By: danootaandme on 06/07/12 at 7:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9CW-QHoUo

Written By: Claybricks on 06/07/12 at 8:16 pm

Check out Bob's page for unreleased songs, UFO material and more

http://www.bobwelch.com/index2.htm

Dan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/12 at 9:00 pm

Sad to hear he's gone.  "Sentimental Lady" and "Ebony Eyes" were really big hits when I started listening to the radio in the seventies.
:\'(

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/08/12 at 7:27 am

"Ebony Eyes" was a favorite of mine.  What a shame!

Written By: ninny on 09/22/12 at 4:13 pm

R.I.P Bob :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/12 at 5:38 pm

It is always sad when someone takes their own life. I love Sentimental Lady & Ebony Eyes. I always loved Hypnotize-I didn't realize that Bob wrote it (until I came into this thread.)

Such a shame.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...