inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Andy Griffith Dead: Actor Dies At Age 86

Written By: Claybricks on 07/03/12 at 10:12 am

Andy Griffith Dead: Actor Dies At Age 86

Actor Andy Griffith died on Tuesday morning in Dare County, North Carolina, reports WITN.com.

Dare County Sheriff Doug Doughtie confirmed to the website that an ambulance went to the 86-year-old's home at 7 a.m. this morning.

News of Griffith's death was confirmed to WITN by Bill Friday, the former President of the University of North Carolina and a close friend of the actor.

Griffith was best known for his role as Sheriff Andy Taylor in “The Andy Griffith Show,” which ran from 1960 to 1968, and later known for his role as a criminal defense lawyer on "Matlock," which ran from 1986 to 1995. The actor was honored with the the TV Land Legend Award in 2004, and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005. Griffith was also a singer and musician, and his 1996 album "I Love to Tell the Story: 25 Timeless Hymns" went platinum.

The television icon had been dealing with health issues for years. In 1983, Griffith was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome -- a disorder that affects the nervous system.

"Guillain-Barré has left me with permanent pain in both feet, but like an unwelcome guest, it isn't so bad when I stop paying attention to it. Challenges and pain will continue all my life, I know, but with Cindi at my side to remind me to accept God's grace, I'll go forward and continue to work with love and happiness," he told Guideposts magazine in 1996.

In May 2000, he underwent quadruple bypass surgery after suffering a heart attack.

The details surrounding Griffith's cause of death are not yet available.

He is survived by wife Cindi and his daughter Dixie. Son Andrew Jr., known as Sam, died in 1996, reports MSNBC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/andy-griffith-dead_n_1645969.html

Dan

Subject: Re: Andy Griffith Dead: Actor Dies At Age 86

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/12 at 11:09 am

That is just getting sad...and scary! They're dropping like flies.

Thank you Andy for the years of sage advise and introducing me to all my friends in Maybury.

Also...for that football routine... I may have to dust off the computer and see if I can find it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I42JIgfnMYE&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AbBYLQgBr0Sh4BjWePVK43

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/12 at 11:31 am

Wow. RIP, Andy.

Say "hey" to Barney, Goober, Floyd the Barber, Aunt Bee, Lumpy Rutherford, Howard Sprague, Ernest T. Bass, and Aneta Corseaut  :-* for all us faithful viewers.

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/12 at 11:36 am

Romeo and Juliet.... he actually did this on an ep of Andy Griffith as well but this is the longer version.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7cNratdek

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/12 at 11:40 am

One of my favorite AGS moments!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrPD55FVd4o&feature=related

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/12 at 12:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVUit1-0Ck

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: ninny on 07/03/12 at 12:27 pm

R.I.P Andy you kept me entertained through out the years

Written By: nally on 07/03/12 at 1:26 pm

So sad. He lived a good long life. RIP Andy G :\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/03/12 at 2:03 pm

So sad. He lived a good long life. RIP Andy G :\'(

He was the best along with Barney Fife played by Don Knotts who died 6 years ago. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/12 at 7:53 pm

Goodbye Sheriff Taylor and Matlock.
:\'(

Our country could use a little more Andy Griffith right about now!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/03/12 at 11:41 pm

So sad!  Another icon of my childhood taken away  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Andy Griffith

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/12 at 6:03 am

:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/12 at 7:47 am

Andy was buried 4 1/2 hours after he died.  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/04/12 at 7:49 am

That isn't good. :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/12 at 8:48 am

They must have had a team working on it.  I mean, figure, you gotta get the death certificate, line up the casket, get the grave dug, alert a preacher, the whole bit.  When you think about it, it's pretty impressive.  They took weeks to bury Robin Gibb.

Written By: Starde on 07/04/12 at 11:09 am

I remember watching some episodes of The Andy Griffith Show on TV Land when I was a kid years ago. RIP Andy! :\'(

Written By: nally on 07/04/12 at 1:56 pm

Wow, that was quick. :o No memorial service?

They must have had a team working on it.  I mean, figure, you gotta get the death certificate, line up the casket, get the grave dug, alert a preacher, the whole bit.  When you think about it, it's pretty impressive.

More or less what I was thinking.

They took weeks to bury Robin Gibb.

And they took at least a month to bury Anna Nicole Smith, as I recall. They took even longer to bury Michael Jackson.

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/12 at 2:02 pm

Wow, that was quick. :o No memorial service?

More or less what I was thinking.

And they took at least a month to bury Anna Nicole Smith, as I recall. They took even longer to bury Michael Jackson.

in the case of Anna Nicole and MJ (and possibly Robin Gibb) autopsy's had to be performed.
Andy was 86 and in North Carolina, no one suspected foul play.... 

they probably, based on his age, had the funeral arrangements in place so that made it easier...

yep....he'd been sick for a while. According to ABC NEWS online
"It had been planned for some time," said the spokesman. "This was the wish of his family."

Written By: nally on 07/04/12 at 2:09 pm

in the case of Anna Nicole and MJ (and possibly Robin Gibb) autopsy's had to be performed.

Oh yes, I remember now.

Andy was 86 and in North Carolina, no one suspected foul play.... 

they probably, based on his age, had the funeral arrangements in place so that made it easier...

Yeah, that was good planning on their part.

yep....he'd been sick for a while. According to ABC NEWS online
"It had been planned for some time," said the spokesman. "This was the wish of his family."

Great. Did they specify a cause of death yet? I have read lots of articles, including the newspapers this morning, and none has been mentioned.

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/12 at 3:05 pm

Oh yes, I remember now.

Yeah, that was good planning on their part.
Great. Did they specify a cause of death yet? I have read lots of articles, including the newspapers this morning, and none has been mentioned.

Not yet. in the ABC article it just said that he'd been ill
In a statement released Tuesday, Griffith's family said the actor died  after an illness,  with his wife by his side.

Written By: warped on 07/04/12 at 4:41 pm

Did they specify a cause of death yet? .

I'm guessing it wasn't cocaine overdose with 3 underage hookers by his side.

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/12 at 4:47 pm

I'm guessing it wasn't cocaine overdose with 3 underage hookers by his side.

no...Charlie Sheen already has that exit plan reserved so no other celeb is allowed to use it...

Written By: warped on 07/04/12 at 4:47 pm

no...Charlie Sheen already has that exit plan reserved so no other celeb is allowed to use it...

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/04/12 at 5:57 pm

They must have had a team working on it.  I mean, figure, you gotta get the death certificate, line up the casket, get the grave dug, alert a preacher, the whole bit.  When you think about it, it's pretty impressive.  They took weeks to bury Robin Gibb.

But doesn't rigor mortis set in?  ???

Written By: Howard on 07/04/12 at 5:58 pm

Not yet. in the ABC article it just said that he'd been ill
In a statement released Tuesday, Griffith's family said the actor died  after an illness,  with his wife by his side.

natural causes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/12 at 6:27 pm

But doesn't rigor mortis set in?  ???

It takes rigor mortis about 3 or 4 hours to start, and it is at its peak 12 hours after death.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/04/12 at 11:04 pm

Truly a legend, he will be greatly missed. BTW, is Ron Howard now the only cast member of The Andy Griffith Show still alive?

Written By: snozberries on 07/04/12 at 11:44 pm

Truly a legend, he will be greatly missed. BTW, is Ron Howard now the only cast member of The Andy Griffith Show still alive?

Clint Howard is still alive
Elinor Donahue  (Miss Ellie) is still alive
Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) is still alive (according to IMDB)
Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) is still alive and commented on Andy's death
Maggie Peterson (Charlene Darling) is still alive
Ken Berry (Sam) is still alive

Written By: Step-chan on 07/05/12 at 6:03 pm

SadFluttershy.jpg

I actually have an animated Christmas movie in which he plays the role of Santa.

RIP Andy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/12 at 6:10 pm

My Dad's brother was good friends with Burt Mustin, who played the role of Jud Fletcher on TAGS.  8)

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00000324/the-andy-griffith-show-burt-mustin-2.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/12 at 8:41 pm

My Dad's brother was good friends with Burt Mustin, who played the role of Jud Fletcher on TAGS.  8)

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00000324/the-andy-griffith-show-burt-mustin-2.jpg

^ Oh yeah, I remember Burt Mustin. Great actor. He was on All in the Family a bunch of times between 1971 and 1976.  If you look at his IMDb profile, you see he was in so many TV shows and movies that everybody knew his face from somewhere.
:)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/12 at 8:43 pm

^ Oh yeah, I remember Burt Mustin. Great actor. He was on All in the Family a bunch of times between 1971 and 1976.  If you look at his IMDb profile, you see he was in so many TV shows and movies that everybody knew his face from somewhere.
:)

They usually had him play the part of an old guy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/12 at 11:59 pm

They usually had him play the part of an old guy.

As an issues-oriented program, All in the Family took on the issue of geriatric sexuality in one show and they had Mustin play Justin Quigley, the stalwart lover of old Aunt Josephine!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...