inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actor Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

Written By: Claybricks on 07/08/12 at 4:36 pm

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/07/08/Borgnine_Marty_244x183.jpg
Ernest Borgnine, in "Marty" (1955). (United Artists)

July 8, 2012 5:22 PM

Actor Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

(CBS/AP) Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the Best Actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in "Marty" in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

He did not have the face, or the smile, of a classic movie star. But Borgnine certainly had the heart of one, whether in a drama, such as "Marty," or a comedy, like the 1960s sitcom "McHale's Navy."

Ermes Effron Borgnino was born in 1917, the son of Italian immigrants. He lived in Italy for a while as a child, then came back to the United States, where he joined the U.S. Navy, serving throughout World War II.

When the war ended, Borgnine tried his hand at a few things, until his mother suggested he try acting.

He caught on fairly quickly, appearing on Broadway and some early television roles.

Then, Borgnine's first big role, as the bully Fatso Judson in the movie "From Here to Eternity."

A character actor, a "heavy," was born . . .

. . . Until an unexpectedly gentle role came up in 1955, with a winning performance. The role of "Marty," a sweet-natured Everyman, living with his mother, trying to find love, won Borgnine the Academy Award:

"I just want to thank my mother for giving me the idea to get into this wonderful profession," he said, accepting the Oscar.

His next big triumph came when art imitated life, joining the Navy again as Lieutenant Commander Quentin McHale in the TV show "McHale's Navy."

After that, a string of action movies, from "The Dirty Dozen" to "The Poseidon Adventure."

Younger viewers might know him more as the voice of Mermaid Man in "Spongebob Squarepants."

Borgnine's biggest kick, however, was going out and meeting people - even making a documentary about himself driving around the country in a big bus: "See, this is what it's all about - living!"

Ernest Borgnine knew what it was all about.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57468279/actor-ernest-borgnine-dies-at-95/

Dan

Subject: Re: Actor Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/12 at 5:09 pm

Wow this really sux.  I remember him back when he was the star of McHale's Navy, as well as his role as the Russian officer in Ice Station Zebra.  His costars in McHale's Navy have all passed way too early, too.  :-\\

Not to mention his awesome performances in the Dirty Dozen tetralogy.  8)

The story did not mention it, but he was once married to the legendary stage singer Ethel Merman.

RIP Ernest... thanks for all the great memories.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/12 at 5:37 pm

Oh man.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 07/08/12 at 6:41 pm

Marty is one on the very best plays to hit the stage, and he WAS Marty.  For that alone he deserves a star  RIP  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/08/12 at 7:39 pm

Sad to hear!  He was a true classic  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/08/12 at 7:57 pm

Ev... Evi...

EEEEVIIIIIIIIL!!!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4fy4aiIvD1qzwumi.jpg
qG6cMeBjKzI

NOW, they HAVE to cancel Spongebob. Nobody can play Mermaid Man like Borgnine. No way Joe Alaskey could pull off the voice. Alaskey may have been able to recreate David Doyle's "Grandpa Lou Pickles" voice on Rugrats after he died, but this is Mermaid Man we're talking about.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/08/0708-ernest-borgnine-getty-2.jpg

RIP Ernest Borgnine 1917-2012
RIP Songebob Sqarepants 1999-2012

http://images.wikia.com/icarly/images/7/78/SpongebobCrying.gif

Written By: warped on 07/08/12 at 8:36 pm

I'll remember him most from McHale's Navy, as well as the Poseidon Adventure and the Dirty Dozen.

Written By: nally on 07/08/12 at 10:55 pm

95 years; wow, he lived a good long life. R.I.P Ernest. :\'(

Written By: holicman on 07/09/12 at 5:23 am

I was a massive fan of Ernest borgnine.....I loved him in the poseidon adventure and the dirty dozen. I have only seen Marty once, but it was a great film and I thought he was fantastic in that film.......
I implore anyone to go onto youtube and watch an interview with Ernest borgnine, he was 92 or 93 and talking about his life in general and he still had his wits about him, could hold a conversation....... He will be sadly missed.....RIP Ernest Borgnine :-[

Written By: Howard on 07/09/12 at 6:45 am

He and late great Ethel Merman are now up there in heaven.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/09/12 at 11:31 am

He and late great Ethel Merman are now up there in heaven.  :\'(

Let's hope for Ethyl's sake that Ernest didn't bring his Dutch oven with him.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/12 at 6:49 pm

R.I.P. Ernest.  He led a long and fruitful life.

I used to watch McHale's Navy reruns on the UHF stations.  It was one of my favorites, though my sisters hated it so!
;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkkVFIT_PY

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/09/12 at 7:12 pm

We've lost one of the last great actors of Golden Age Hollywood. And for all that, Ernie was still working! I just caught him two years ago in a scene with Bruce Willis from RED, playing the keeper of a top-secret CIA records vault. I always enjoyed his guests spots on Home Improvement, The Commish, JAG, and dozens more. One of my favorites was a Hallmark Channel holiday film he did in 2007 called A Grandpa For Christmas, which made Mr. Borgnine at age 90, the oldest actor ever nominated for a Golden Globe. They'll never be able to cremate Ernie, he was simply too cool!
Rest In Peace, my friend.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: ninny on 07/10/12 at 9:31 am

R.I.P Ernest you lived a long and great life.

Written By: holicman on 07/12/12 at 6:27 am

We've lost one of the last great actors of Golden Age Hollywood. And for all that, Ernie was still working! I just caught him two years ago in a scene with Bruce Willis from RED, playing the keeper of a top-secret CIA records vault. I always enjoyed his guests spots on Home Improvement, The Commish, JAG, and dozens more. One of my favorites was a Hallmark Channel holiday film he did in 2007 called A Grandpa For Christmas, which made Mr. Borgnine at age 90, the oldest actor ever nominated for a Golden Globe. They'll never be able to cremate Ernie, he was simply too cool!
Rest In Peace, my friend.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

I agree, there are probably a dozen actors maximum from that era, Kirk douglas, Mickey Rooney, phylis diller,Eli Wallach,Zsa Zsa Gabor,Olivia de havilland, shirley temple,Lauren Bacall just to name a few, if not more than half of the projected amount of people I listed.

Check for new replies or respond here...