inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Broadway Star and Oscar Winner Celeste Holm Dies at 95

Written By: Claybricks on 07/15/12 at 11:28 am

http://images.bwwstatic.com/columnpic5/28B46566B-B067-CDC8-3C31D9D81E795914.jpg

Broadway Star and Oscar Winner Celeste Holm Dies at 95

Sunday, July 15, 2012; 11:07 AM - by BWW News Desk

According to a report on NY1, Broadway star and Academy Award winner Celeste Holm has died. She was 95.

Holm took the stage in 27 Broadway productions. Her most recent appearance was in 1991's I Hate Hamlet. She made her debut on the Great White Way in 1938's Gloriana and originated the role of Ado Annie in Oklahoma!. She has also appeared in Broadway's The Time of Your Life, Another Sun, The Return of the Vagabond, Eight O'Clock Tuesday, My Fair Ladies, Papa Is All, All the Comforts of Home, The Damask Cheek, Bloomer Girl, Affairs of State, The King and I, Anna Christie, His and Hers, Interlock, Third Best Sport, Invitation to a March, Mame, Candida, The Grass Harp, Mama, Habeas Corpus, The Utter Glory of Morrissey Hall and more. In 1994, Holm participated in the Off-Broadway Encores! Concert version of Allegro.

Holm won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in the film Gentlemen's Agreement and was also nominated for Come to the Stable and All About Eve. Holm's most recent film is the comedy College Debts, set for 2013. Her other film credits include Driving Me Crazy, Alchemy, Still Breathing, Three Men and a Baby, Backstairs at the White House, Bittersweet Love, Tom Sawyer, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, High Society, The Tender Trap, Three Little Girls in Blue and many more.

On television, Holm was nominated for Emmy Awards for Insight and Backstairs at the White House, as well as a Daytime Emmy for Loving. She played roles in the TV series Nancy, Archie Bunker's Place, Falcon Crest, The Beat, Promised Land, The Love Boat, Touched by an Angel and more.

She is survived by her third husband, Frank Basile, and her sons. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, Holm's family members told NY1, but a memorial is expected to be held in the city.

Photo Credit: Walter McBride / Retna Ltd.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Broadway-Star-and-Oscar-Winner-Celeste-Holm-Dies-at-95-20120715

Dan

Subject: Re: Broadway Star and Oscar Winner Celeste Holm Dies at 95

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/12 at 12:41 pm

This is what I think of when I think of Celeste Holm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27K6nlVEdSc

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/15/12 at 1:30 pm

RIP Mrs. Holm.  :\'(

Written By: warped on 07/15/12 at 1:52 pm

I think of her in "All about Eve" 

Not too many movie stars left from the 40s and 50s now.  I'm thinking Olivia De Havilland, her sister Joan Fontaine, Zsa Zsa, Doris Day ...not too many others.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/15/12 at 1:57 pm

Very sad loss, she was great as Ado Annie in Oklahoma! :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/12 at 2:33 pm

Very sad loss, she was great as Ado Annie in Oklahoma! :\'(

She was Ado Annie on Broadway not in the movie.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 07/15/12 at 5:42 pm

I link her in my mind with 'High Society'...  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/12 at 12:07 am

She also played Estelle Harris, Stephanie's rich aunt on "Archie Bunker's Place."  She was at odds with Arch about everything except Stephanie's dad, Floyd Mills, was a no good, drunken, lying, stealing dead beat.  Estelle used to take the pubescent Stephanie on shopping trips to get some thing she "really needed."  You know, bras and tampons....shhhhh....

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/17/12 at 6:07 pm

She was Ado Annie on Broadway not in the movie.

Cat

I didn't say the movie, but I was thinking about it, Gloria Grahame was Ado Annie in the movie and she was great too.

I believe I saw Celests on an award show or special preforming a song from Oklahoma introducted by John Raitt, whom I believe was Broadway's Curly if I'm not mistaken.

RIP Celeste

Check for new replies or respond here...