inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Helen Gurley Brown dies at 90

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/12 at 6:38 pm

August 13, 2012

Helen Gurley Brown, author of Sex and the Single Girl (1962) and editor of Cosmopolitan magazine from 1965 until 1997, died today at the age of 90.  Brown was one of the founding mothers of what later became known as "sex-positive feminism."  In other words, women could advance both their empowerment in society and enjoy the benefits of sexual liberation at the same time.

RIP
Ms. Gurley Brown
:\'(

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5cafcJCO81ry7fj1o2_500.jpg

Subject: Re: Helen Gurley Brown dies at 90

Written By: danootaandme on 08/14/12 at 4:21 am

:\'(    She was mocked, she was laughed at, she was right, and time showed that. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/14/12 at 10:30 pm

Helen Gurley Brown, author of Sex and the Single Girl (1962) and editor of Cosmopolitan magazine from 1965 until 1997, died today at the age of 90.  Brown was one of the founding mothers of what later became known as "sex-positive feminism."  In other words, women could advance both their empowerment in society and enjoy the benefits of sexual liberation at the same time.

Imagine the shock, a woman not being dependent upon her mate for sustenance.  Revolutionary.  Shocking.  Time to spin some tunes that reflect the zeitgeist, say, some funk/soul, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhitDMVxUI
  - Carrie Lucas, Career Girl, 197... WHAT?  1980?

Yep, 1980.  It took that long for the basic idea to filter down to something as casual as disco.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/12 at 11:33 pm

I just remember my ex used to try and get me to play along with the "compatibility quizzes" in Cosmo.

I'd look up from my Solzhenitsyn and grumble, "I'm really not interested!"

"Jeez, you don't hafta be such an old party pooper!"

>:(

Check for new replies or respond here...