inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top Gun director Tony Scott commits suicide

Written By: karen on 08/20/12 at 3:22 am

Hollywood director Tony Scott, famous for films including Top Gun, has died after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities have said.

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide.

British-born Scott, brother of Alien director Ridley, shot to fame in the 1980s with a string of action films.

The 68-year-old's films included Crimson Tide, Days of Thunder and True Romance.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement.

The coroner said Scott jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, which spans San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles.

Lt Joe Bale, from the coroner's office, said the director was seen parking his car and jumping into the water at about 12:30 (19:30 GMT) on Sunday.

His body was recovered from the harbour less than three hours later. A note was found in his car and another in his office, but it is not clear what they contained.

more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19314967

Subject: Re: Top Gun director Tony Scott commits suicide

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/12 at 8:16 am

He directed 16 films.  The only one I never saw was 'The Hunger', but I will now see that one.

This is very sad news of his passing.  He directed Beverly Hills Cop II, one of my favourite films ever.  R.I.P.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/12 at 8:41 am

Sad news.  You just never know what deamons people grapple with. To us it would seem they have the perfect life (at least the life I wish I could live$ but all that fame & money doesn't fix what's going on inside...

Personally I think, with the exception of suicide in the face of terminal illness, that suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do so my heart goes out to his family and the friends who loved him who have been left behind with guilt, sadness and lots of questions. Two notes or not he couldn't have covered everything.

At the timei wrote this there was no information about why....I just learned he had an inoperable brain tumor so igniter my rant.  For now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/12 at 5:42 am

Apparently there are several videos of Scott's jump that are being shopped out to the media outlets.  :-\\

Written By: ninny on 08/21/12 at 8:28 am

R.I.P :\'(

Written By: Starde on 08/22/12 at 2:03 am

I was shocked to hear the news. It just seemed so random and out of the blue. RIP Tony! :\'( Hollywood lost another talented filmmaker. His poor wife and kids. And poor Ridley. Now both of his siblongs have passed.

Apparently there are several videos of Scott's jump that are being shopped out to the media outlets.  :-\\

Ugh, that's sick.

Check for new replies or respond here...