inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Neil Armstrong has died

Written By: Dagwood on 08/25/12 at 2:26 pm

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13478643-astronaut-neil-armstrong-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82?lite

Rest in Peace and Godspeed  :\'(

Subject: Re: Neil Armstrong has died

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/12 at 2:30 pm

He took one small step and a giant leap.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/25/12 at 2:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt1BwWE2gA

:\'( :\'( :\'

Written By: warped on 08/25/12 at 4:17 pm

In 1969, when I was a very young boy, I was given a special privilege of staying up, watch TV and witness Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon. Back then, it was so exciting to watch a lunar landing, or anything regarding outer space. So many of my generation yearned to be astronauts, many of them because of what Neil Armstrong accomplished. Words fail me to describe how much we admired astronauts back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Neil wasn’t just an American hero, but a hero for young boys all over the world.

RIP Neil.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/12 at 5:16 pm

In 1969, when I was a very young boy, I was given a special privilege of staying up, watch TV and witness Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon. Back then, it was so exciting to watch a lunar landing, or anything regarding outer space. So many of my generation yearned to be astronauts, many of them because of what Neil Armstrong accomplished. Words fail me to describe how much we admired astronauts back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Neil wasn’t just an American hero, but a hero for young boys all over the world.

RIP Neil.

I didn't watch it but I remember my mother telling me that men were on the moon. I ducked thinking they were right on top of us.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  A few days later, I remember being outside and the moon was out even though it was still light out. I remember looking up at it and thinking, "Wow, there are men up there."

I used to sleep in my sister's room a lot when I was really young. She had a pennant hanging on her wall about the moonwalk. I stared at that so much that the date is now burned into my brain (July 20th, 1969-and no, I did not just Google it.)

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/25/12 at 5:30 pm

He took one small step and a giant leap.

I am but 38 years old, not even 5 years too late to see the Apollo 11 Landing, and I think I can honestly say that it is the only event I wish I had been around to see. No other American heroes will ever hold so unique a position in our history as the Apollo Astronauts, and perhaps none can be held in higher regard than Neil Armstrong. Godspeed to this most Amazing of American Heroes.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/25/12 at 5:33 pm

Thank you Neil for being one brave dude.

I was born 6 days after the landing, I always joke that they brought me back from the moon where they found me.

Written By: nally on 08/25/12 at 5:49 pm

I am but 38 years old, not 5 years too late to see the Apollo 11 Landing, and I think I can honestly say that it is the only event I wish I had been around to see. No other American heroes will ever hold so unique a position in our history as the Apollo Astronauts, and perhaps none can be held in higher regard than Neil Armstrong.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

I wish I'd been around to see it too; 'twas 11 years before I came along. Bet it would've been exciting to watch.

Godspeed to this most Amazing of American Heroes.

My sentiments exactly.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/25/12 at 6:04 pm

RIP Neil.

I was at summer Boy Scout camp that night.  We were in the tent listening to the radio coverage.

But I fell asleep and missed it!!!  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/12 at 7:47 pm

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

-- Neil Armstrong

Neil Armstrong will always be a hero for all mankind.  RIP Commander Armstrong.  I salute you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Neil_Armstrong_1956_portrait.jpg/405px-Neil_Armstrong_1956_portrait.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/12 at 7:53 pm

I often wondered about his famous quote ("One small step...") if he laid awake at night trying to think of something to say as he made that step, or if someone said to him, "Why don't you say..." or if it was a spur of the moment thing.

Cat

Written By: warped on 08/25/12 at 9:40 pm

I often wondered about his famous quote ("One small step...") if he laid awake at night trying to think of something to say as he made that step, or if someone said to him, "Why don't you say..." or if it was a spur of the moment thing.

Cat

I got this from Nasa:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.step.html

[At the time of the mission, the world heard Neil say "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind". As Andrew Chaikin details in A Man on the Moon, after the mission, Neil said that he had intended to say 'one small step for a man' and believed that he had done so. However, he also agreed that the 'a' didn't seem to be audible in the recordings. The important point is that the world had no problem understanding his meaning

From my research throughout the years (I had the same question as you) I never found anyone who took credit for writing that line. It always came back that Neil thought it up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/25/12 at 11:13 pm

Astronaut Neil Young, first man to walk on moon, has died

Written By: Howard on 08/26/12 at 2:32 pm

Cat

I just don't remember in the video if he said "mankind" or not.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/12 at 2:33 pm

RIP Mr.Armstrong.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/26/12 at 3:53 pm

RIP Neil.

I was 9 then.  Neil Armstrong was a hero to me, as with most other kids in my generation.  We've lost a legend.    :\'(  :\'(  :\'( 

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong - and thanks

Written By: Starde on 08/27/12 at 9:21 pm

I wish I could've seen the moon landing and the astronomy/space obsessed kid in me still wishes she could walk on the moon.

One giant loss for mankind. Godspeed Neil. :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/28/12 at 9:31 pm

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q323/knownerror/5993ec43.gif

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

- Statement from the family of Neil A. Armstrong.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/28/12 at 11:30 pm

RIP Neil Armstrong!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/12 at 11:44 am

I got this from Nasa:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.step.html

So he went to the moon to search for a heart of gold?  :-\\  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 08/29/12 at 1:27 pm

Ok, so I will take your evidence and assume he thought it up but WHEN? Laying awake at night or right before he left the Eagle?

Cat

I know Neil Young got as high as the moon at times, but it a different way.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/12 at 7:44 pm

Ok, so I will take your evidence and assume he thought it up but WHEN? Laying awake at night or right before he left the Eagle?

Cat

and he's getting old.  ;D

Written By: karen on 08/30/12 at 6:27 am

I read this in a book that I bought in the US.  Sadly I also left the book in the US and I can't recall the details any more  :-\\

Armstrong definitely thought up the phrase himself and I think it was whilst on the journey to the moon. 

edited to add

this is the book I read.

http://trageser.com/books/bookreview-apollo.php

Check for new replies or respond here...