inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Veteran entertainer Max Bygraves dies aged 89

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/12 at 8:36 am

Veteran entertainer Max Bygraves has died in Australia, his agent says.

The 89-year-old comedian, actor, and singer, whose catchphrase was "I wanna tell you a story", died peacefully in his sleep at home in Hope Island, Queensland, on Friday.

He emigrated from Bournemouth, Dorset, to Australia in 2005. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

"We have lost one of the best entertainers that Britain has ever produced," his agent Johnny Mans said.

"He was a friend to everyone... there were no airs and graces."

Born in England in London in 1922 as Walter, the former Family Fortunes presenter later gained the nickname Max from his impersonations of comedian Max Miller.

Bygraves also performed on stage with Spike Milligan, Benny Hill, Harry Secombe and Frankie Howerd.

He married Blossom Murray in 1942. She died last year.

Subject: Re: Veteran entertainer Max Bygraves dies aged 89

Written By: Paul on 09/01/12 at 7:15 pm

One of the last remaining British 'old guard' entertainers...

Supremely genuine guy too...what you saw was what you got - RIP Maxie

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/12 at 7:48 pm

R.I.P. Max
I know him best from Game Show blooper reels of Family Fortunes, most notably that contestant who answered "Turkey" one too many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2AWKfMvDtw

Written By: nally on 09/01/12 at 7:51 pm

^ That was funny stuff. I still can't figure out why that guy answered "turkey" to the first three questions (although it did make sense for the third question).

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/12 at 8:27 pm

^ That was funny stuff. I still can't figure out why that guy answered "turkey" to the first three questions (although it did make sense for the third question).

I like when the camera cuts to his family off to the side.  They don't look too happy about his answers lol

Check for new replies or respond here...