inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sam Sniderman, founder of Sam the Record Man

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/12 at 7:54 am

At the age of 92, Sam Sniderman has passed away.  He was the founder of the Canadian record store chain Sam the Record Man who at one point was the largest music retailer in Canada, until HMV and internet sales forced the chain into closure. 

http://www.thestar.com/news/obituary/article/1261272--sam-the-record-man-founder-sam-sniderman-dies-at-92

The last remaining Sam the Record Man store is located in Belleville, Ontario.  I may have to take a trip there this weekend

Subject: Re: Sam Sniderman, founder of Sam the Record Man

Written By: warped on 09/24/12 at 9:00 am

Sad news.

I met the man in 1978 or 1979 at his record store in Toronto on Yonge street just north of Dundas (back then).  Short guy, pretty friendly with everyone. I bought many albums there, many '45s and later bought CD's.  Almost next door to Sam's was "A&As" records.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aqEbghHBLz0/T_VpmARDuQI/AAAAAAAAA9E/aOsrFuGp4FA/s1600/403356_266087190127939_93880132_n.jpg

I think I remember buying some concert tickets there as well, years ago. The line-ups for Sam's boxing day sales back in the 70s and 80s were long, but awesome waits!

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/12 at 3:42 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aqEbghHBLz0/T_VpmARDuQI/AAAAAAAAA9E/aOsrFuGp4FA/s1600/403356_266087190127939_93880132_n.jpg

This photo is fantastic.  I never got a chance to see the giant neon records when they were still there.  One of the things I really regret not seeing.  I remember A&A Records.

That location was often seen in popular film and TV.  It was once featured in an episode of the 80s cop series Night Heat and was also featured in the 1982 movie Class of 1984 starring Perry King and Michael J. Fox

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/26/12 at 10:57 pm

This photo is fantastic.  I never got a chance to see the giant neon records when they were still there.  One of the things I really regret not seeing.  I remember A&A Records.

That location was often seen in popular film and TV.  It was once featured in an episode of the 80s cop series Night Heat and was also featured in the 1982 movie Class of 1984 starring Perry King and Michael J. Fox

And by sheer chance, capturing an early-70s Citroen SM, one of less than 12000 in the world?  Cost about triple what a Corvette cost back then, performance in line with an exotic, and mechanical complexity exceeding anything out of Italy.  Was that shot from a movie, or was someone astonishingly lucky to see one in the wild?

Written By: warped on 09/29/12 at 7:12 am

And by sheer chance, capturing an early-70s Citroen SM, one of less than 12000 in the world?  Cost about triple what a Corvette cost back then, performance in line with an exotic, and mechanical complexity exceeding anything out of Italy.  Was that shot from a movie, or was someone astonishingly lucky to see one in the wild?

Can't answer your question. . The photo is from the "City of Toronto" archives, no mentions it what taken from a film/TV show.  Is that really a Citroen SM? I know the brown car on the other side of the street might be a Monte Carlo. I'm guessing the photo is from the early 1980s. Can't remember when the Thrifty's clothings store moved... or if I could read the "City Nights" poster (regarding entertainemnet events in the city), might help to narrow down the year.

Check for new replies or respond here...