inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: George McGovern dies at age 90

Written By: warped on 10/21/12 at 7:18 am

George S. McGovern, a proud liberal who argued fervently against the Vietnam War as a senator from South Dakota and suffered one of the most crushing defeats in presidential election history against Richard Nixon in 1972, died before dawn Sunday. He was 90.

A spokesman for McGovern's family, Steve Hildebrand, told The Associated Press by telephone that McGovern died peacefully at 5:15 a.m. Sunday at a hospice in Sioux Falls, surrounded by family and lifelong friends. The family had said in a statement late last that McGovern had become unresponsive while under hospice care.

Hildbrand's statement said funeral services would be held in Sioux Falls and that the details would be announced shortly.

Subject: Re: George McGovern dies at age 90

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/12 at 1:06 pm

George S. McGovern, a proud liberal who argued fervently against the Vietnam War as a senator from South Dakota and suffered one of the most crushing defeats in presidential election history against Richard Nixon in 1972, died before dawn Sunday. He was 90.

A spokesman for McGovern's family, Steve Hildebrand, told The Associated Press by telephone that McGovern died peacefully at 5:15 a.m. Sunday at a hospice in Sioux Falls, surrounded by family and lifelong friends. The family had said in a statement late last that McGovern had become unresponsive while under hospice care.

Hildbrand's statement said funeral services would be held in Sioux Falls and that the details would be announced shortly.

McGovern was a good man.  I think our country might be better off today if he had won in 1972.  The thing about McGovern is he was humble.  For example, he was a decorated WWII bomber pilot but he never boasted about his war record because it would be "unseemly."  Americans like unseemly!

Written By: nally on 10/21/12 at 1:43 pm

I wasn't around 40 years ago, but I know my presidential election history quite well. (I might've supported him, too.) R.I.P., Mr. McG.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/22/12 at 10:43 pm

McGovern was a good man.  I think our country might be better off today if he had won in 1972.  The thing about McGovern is he was humble.  For example, he was a decorated WWII bomber pilot but he never boasted about his war record because it would be "unseemly."  Americans like unseemly!

George McGovern had some pretty hairy adventures aboard his B-24, the Dakota Queen.  The farmer who's house he bombed during the Italian campaign came out to say "no harm, no foul" decades after the war was a Cool Story, Bro, but the DFC he earned for a different mission, in which he landed with no brakes, no hydraulics, manually-cranked landing gear, and his own crew's parachutes, tied by hand to the ass-end of the plane and released manually in order to get it to stop before running out of runway - qualifies him as an American Badass.

I can't find any nose art of McGovern's B-24.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2049/2037147829_16427e7eb6_z.jpg

...so this B-1B will have to do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/12 at 11:26 am

When you are badass (McGovern), you don't talk badass (Dubya).
:)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/12 at 11:45 am

Sad day.....very sad day :\'( :\'( :\'(

http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/24212/2344010260101620085S200x200Q85.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...