inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Legendary Jazz Musician Dave Brubeck Dies at 91

Written By: Claybricks on 12/05/12 at 12:13 pm

Legendary Jazz Musician Dave Brubeck Dies

by Eyder Peralta

December 05, 201211:59 AM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/12/05/166570705/dave-brubeck-legendary-jazz-musician-dead-at-age-91

Dan

Subject: Re: Legendary Jazz Musician Dave Brubeck Dies at 91

Written By: nally on 12/05/12 at 3:13 pm

How sad. :\'( :\'( And he would have turned 92 tomorrow...

One of his best known pieces of music is probably "Take Five", which is unique for its 5/4 meter.

Written By: Emman on 12/05/12 at 3:16 pm

His album Time Out is one of my favorite jazz records.

R.I.P

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/05/12 at 4:19 pm

His album Time Out is one of my favorite jazz records.

Mine too, Emman & nally. We've lost probably the last great musical innovator of his generation.
The clip below showcases music from his '89 album Quiet As The Moon, which features three of Dave's sons in the backing band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lipaKIqlDw

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/05/12 at 4:21 pm

Sad to hear!  Another musical legend, gone  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/12 at 5:45 pm

Yep, I heard this morning.  Brubeck gave his lifetime to music and gave us a lifetime worth of music worth listening to!
:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/12 at 6:12 pm

His collection of hits included quite a few toe tappers.  8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/05/12 at 8:46 pm

RIP.  For those unfamiliar with jazz, Brubeck's a great place to start.  For those not even slightly curious about jazz, first, what the hell is wrong with you?  Second, it's everywhere, you just haven't noticed it.  WTF's going on?  Here's just one example from 1987.

"Then it's 'Don't take five (Take What You Want)', we took two bars from the intro of Fred Wesley And The JB's' track 'Same Beat' on the LP 'Damn Right I'm Somebody' (People Records PE 6602), God knows where you can get a copy, I forgot where I got mine, but it was in 1974. The two bars we took, we looped and used as the basis for our backing track, you should be able to do a repeat scratch whenever there is a gap, to get the same effect. In the middle of the song, just after the chorus, after the football results, drop the needle into the groove of Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five', the main theme part that everybody knows. This particular track seems to be on every Dave Brubeck LP ever released. For the outro of 'Don't Take Five...' we just used the outro of 'Same Beat' with occasional bursts from our drum machine and groove box."

If you won't take five, at least take four and get some new appreciation for the sample source of the main instrumental break in the KLF / JAMs track Don't Take Five (Take What You Want).

Written By: fusefan on 12/06/12 at 8:39 am

He was one of of my favorite jazz artists of all time. Every time I see an album of his at Half Price Books I always buy it because I know i'm not going to be disappointed. RIP Dave you will be missed.

Check for new replies or respond here...