inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Singer Patti Page is dead at age 85

Written By: Claybricks on 01/02/13 at 3:00 pm

http://media.nbcsandiego.com/images/301*169/AP5801170191cropped.jpg

Singer Patti Page is dead at age 85

NASHVILLE, Tenn. Patti Page, whose "Tennessee Waltz" is one of the best-selling recordings ever, has died. She was 85.

Page died on New Year's Day in Encinitas, Calif., her rep said in a statement sent to CBSNews.com

Page, who was to be honored by the Recording Academy in a pre-Grammy Lifetime Achievement Awards ceremony on Feb. 9, was one of the top-selling female singers in history with more than 100 million record sales. She created a distinctive sound for the music industry in 1947 by overdubbing her own voice when she didn't have enough money to hire backup singers for the single, "Confess."

She had 24 records in the top 10, including four that reached No. 1. She was also the first singer to have television programs on all three major networks, including "The Patti Page Show" on ABC.

Page had a staggering 111 chart hits, including pop classics like "(How Much Is That) Doggie in the Window," and "Old Cape Cod." According to her rep, she recorded 50 albums, with 19 gold and 14 platinum singles. She earned a Grammy for her CD "Patti Page Live at Carnegie Hall--the 50th Anniversary Concert."

Page was awarded the Living Legend Award from the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame and the Pioneer Award from the Academy of Country Music. She has stars on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Country Music Walk of Fame.

Page is survived by her son, Daniel O'Curran; daughter, Kathleen Ginnp; and sister, Peggy Layton. No funeral arrangements have been announced.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57561672/singer-patti-page-is-dead-at-age-85/

Dan

Subject: Re: Singer Patti Page is dead at age 85

Written By: warped on 01/02/13 at 3:02 pm

Sad news.

I adore ""Tennessee Waltz", I also like "Mockingbird Hill" and "Changing Partners". Beautiful music. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/13 at 3:03 pm

I thought she died a long time ago.  :-[

Cat

Written By: ninny on 01/04/13 at 11:08 am

I thought she died a long time ago.  :-[

Cat

Sadly so didn't I :-[

Written By: warped on 01/04/13 at 2:01 pm

My wife also thought she had passed away a while ago. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/13 at 8:34 pm

So sad, I know her best from the 1950's song "(How Much Is That) Doggie In The Window?".

Check for new replies or respond here...