inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pauline Phillips, longtime Dear Abby advice columnist, dies at 94

Written By: Claybricks on 01/17/13 at 3:02 pm

Pauline Phillips, longtime Dear Abby advice columnist, dies at 94

By Michael Martinez, CNN

updated 3:38 PM EST, Thu January 17, 2013

(CNN) -- Pauline Phillips, better known to millions of newspaper readers for decades as the Dear Abby advice columnist, has died after a long battle with Alzheimer's Disease, her family said Thursday.

She died Wednesday in Minneapolis, Minnesota, at age 94.

Phillips' columns were published in an era when newspaper readers began to prize straight-talking, pithy advice about marriages, children, jobs -- just about anything that troubled people.

Phillips wrote under the pen name of Abigail Van Buren, shortened to "Dear Abby" in newspapers.

The first Dear Abby column appeared in 1956, and Phillips continued writing the advice feature until 2000, when she and daughter Jeanne began sharing the byline.

Jeanne Phillips took the column over full time in August 2002, when the family announced that Pauline Phillips had Alzheimer's.

"I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend," Jeanne Phillips said in a statement. "My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion, commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy."

Phillips strove to say more with less. Her direct style was captured in her favorite Swedish toast, according to a family statement released by the column's syndication service:

"Fear less; hope more. Eat less; chew more. Talk less; say more. Hate less; love more."

Before the digital era of journalism introduced such notions as "crowd sourcing" of the public and computerized metrics on readership, Phillips assembled her Q&A columns from queries mailed in from readers. And she was able to quantify her following by the number of newspapers who bought her columns -- and by how many readers spent money on a stamp to mail her a letter.

"Dear Abby" is the world's most widely syndicated column, having appeared in 1,400 newspapers with a daily readership of more than 110 million, the syndication service Universal Uclick said.

In another example of her following, Phillips held a survey in 1987 asking readers to send a postcard or note -- anonymously if they wanted -- about whether they cheated on their mates.

Almost 250,000 people responded within three months.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/showbiz/dear-abby-pauline-phillips-obit/index.html

Dan

Subject: Re: Pauline Phillips, longtime Dear Abby advice columnist, dies at 94

Written By: warped on 01/17/13 at 4:26 pm

I didn't know she was still around.
Sad news.

Her and Ann Landers were twins.

Written By: nally on 01/17/13 at 5:40 pm

Yes, and now they are together in heaven.

R.I.P. Dear Abby. :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/13 at 5:44 pm

I read the column every day. Of course it has been written by her daughter for years now.

I didn't know she was still around.
Sad news.

Her and Ann Landers were twins.

Ann Landers died years ago.  I remember when Pauline wrote the column, on the 4th of July every year, she would have a special message to her "womb mate" and wished her a happy birthday.

R.I.P. Pauline.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/13 at 8:46 pm

I just learned that dear Abby was Pauline Esther and her twin, Ann Landers, was Esther Pauline.  Weird.

Rip dear Abby

Written By: Drbob31 on 01/17/13 at 8:53 pm

^^^ That is pretty unique. RIP Dear Abby.

---
R. Byrant
Las Vegas Bus Schedule

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/13 at 10:12 pm

Oh no!  Say it ain't so, Dear Abby  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Pauline Phillips - thanks for setting us straight all these years

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/13 at 12:21 pm

I just learned that dear Abby was Pauline Esther and her twin, Ann Landers, was Esther Pauline.  Weird.

Rip dear Abby

I knew that. But I always hear it as Esther Polly & Polly Esther.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/18/13 at 7:47 pm

RIP Dear Abby.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...