inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stan "The Man" Musial Gone at 92...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/13 at 7:38 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/663ad0b8-d8fb-5cdd-8fd3-8f397f7a263a.html

Legendary hall of fame baseballer Stanislaw "The Man" Musial passed away today at the age of 92.  He had been in deteriorating health for quite some time.  In the Picksburgh area he was known as "The Donora Greyhound" for his exploits on the field as s semi-pro player with the Donora Zincs.

Subject: Re: Stan "The Man" Musial Gone at 92...

Written By: warped on 01/19/13 at 8:04 pm

Very sad news. He was a baseball legend. Arguably in the top 10 players ever.
This guy could hit.

Written By: nally on 01/19/13 at 9:07 pm

Just heard about this. Even though he was before my time, I still know about his achievements in MLB.
R.I.P. Stan. :\'(

Another MLB figure passed away earlier today: Earl Weaver, 82, who'd managed the Baltimore Orioles for a long time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/13 at 9:40 pm

Just heard about this. Even though he was before my time, I still know about his achievements in MLB.
R.I.P. Stan. :\'(

Another MLB figure passed away earlier today: Earl Weaver, 82, who'd managed the Baltimore Orioles for a long time.

I remember Earl Weaver was managing the Orioles when Roberto Clemente got his 3000th (and last) hit in the '71 World Series and the Buccos took the pennant.  All three of these baseball greats passed before their time.  :-\\

Written By: warped on 01/19/13 at 9:54 pm

I remember Earl Weaver was managing the Orioles when Roberto Clemente got his 3000th (and last) hit in the '71 World Series and the Buccos took the pennant.  All three of these baseball greats passed before their time.  :-\\

Clemente was one of my childhood heroes. Although Clemente's Pirates played Baltimore in the '71 series, he didn't get his 3000th hit until September 1972 at home against the Mets.
Earl Weaver was a character, thrown out of many games, he managed some great Oriole teams.
I never saw Musial play, although I was born before his career ended.

Check for new replies or respond here...