inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bonnie Franklin, One Day at a Time

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/13 at 1:21 pm

Bonnie Franklin, Ann Romano on One Day at a Time is gone.

This makes me sad I loved her acting and her strength.

I have no details and limited Internet access. I trust one of you will link pics/details for me.

Subject: Re: Bonnie Franklin, One Day at a Time

Written By: warped on 03/01/13 at 1:30 pm

NEW YORK -- Bonnie Franklin, the pert, redheaded actress whom millions came to identify with for her role as divorced mom Ann Romano on the long-running sitcom "One Day at a Time," has died.

She died Friday at her home due to complications from pancreatic cancer, family members said in a statement. She was 69. Her family had announced she was diagnosed with cancer in September.

Franklin was a veteran stage and television performer before "One Day At a Time" made her a star.

Developed by Norman Lear and co-created by Whitney Blake -- herself a former sitcom star and single mother raising future actress Meredith Baxter -- the series was groundbreaking for its focus on a young divorced mother seeking independence from a suffocating marriage.

It premiered on CBS in December 1975, just five years after the network had balked at having Mary Tyler Moore play a divorcee on her own comedy series, insisting that newly single Mary Richards be portrayed as having ended her engagement instead.

On her own in Indianapolis, Ann Romano was raising two teenage girls (played by Mackenzie Phillips, already famous for the film "American Graffiti," and a previously unknown Valerie Bertinelli). "One Day At a Time" ran on CBS until 1984, by which time both daughters had grown and married, while Romano had remarried and become a grandmother. During the first seven of its nine seasons on the air, the show was a Top 20 hit.

Like other Lear productions such as "All in the Family" and "Good Times," "One Day at a Time" dealt with contemporary issues once absent from TV comedies such as premarital sex, birth control, suicide and sexual harassment -- issues that had previously been overlooked by TV comedies whose households were usually headed by a husband and wife or, rarely, a widowed parent.

I loved "One day at a time". She was such a cool mother.
Very sad news.

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2012/09/23965110/bonnie_franklin_800101_360.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/13 at 5:28 pm

... "One Day at a Time" dealt with contemporary issues once absent from TV comedies such as premarital sex, birth control, suicide and sexual harassment...

ODAAT definitely explored the humorous side of these happenings.  :P

Bonnie was definitely hawt, although back in the day I watched the show due to Valerie Bertinelli.  :-*

Written By: Dagwood on 03/01/13 at 5:51 pm

:( So sad.  Rest in peace.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/13 at 7:15 pm

This may sound wrong, but maybe now they will release more One Day At A Time seasons on DVD ?!?!?!

I really liked her as Ann Romano on that show.  She always had good sarcasm and used it in alot of humourous lines.  May she rest in peace

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/13 at 7:22 pm

Maybe they could film a One Day at a Time reunion show where Pat Harrington, Mackenzie Phillips, Glenn Scarpelli, Michael Lembeck, and Valerie Bertinelli  :-* could attend Ann Romano's funeral.  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/13 at 7:29 pm

So sad. She was a graduated of Smith College (along with my grandmother & aunt). My grandmother having a listing of alumni and I remember seeing Bonnie's name in it and I was so excited.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/01/13 at 7:44 pm

Maybe they could film a One Day at a Time reunion show where Pat Harrington, Mackenzie Phillips, Glenn Scarpelli, Michael Lembeck, and Valerie Bertinelli  :-* could attend Ann Romano's funeral.  ???

No, don't think that'll work. :(

Written By: Howard on 03/01/13 at 7:46 pm

I'm gonna miss Bonnie Franklin, she was such a cool mother RIP. :\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUQaws4mveM

Written By: Howard on 03/01/13 at 7:49 pm

ODAAT definitely explored the humorous side of these happenings.  :P

Bonnie was definitely hawt, although back in the day I watched the show due to Valerie Bertinelli.  :-*

what about Mackenzie Phillips?

Written By: warped on 03/01/13 at 7:51 pm

No, don't think that'll work. :(

I have to agree with Howard.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/13 at 8:13 pm

what about Mackenzie Phillips?

She never did it for me...

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/13 at 9:33 pm

What about Boyd Gaines?

The fact you mentioned Glenn Scarpelli made me chuckle.  Where's he been these days?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/13 at 5:31 am

What about Boyd Gaines?

The fact you mentioned Glenn Scarpelli made me chuckle.  Where's he been these days?

Yeah we'd want Boyd on the reunion episode, along with Ann's ex-hubs Joe Campanella.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/13 at 6:43 am

What about Boyd Gaines?

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Glenn+Scarpelli+2005+TV+Land+Awards+Arrivals+yorMgK02LBWl.jpg

Scarpelli 46, currently lives in Sedona, Arizona. Scarpelli has been the CEO of the Sedona Now Network, a community television station, since 2003.

http://celebslists.com/images/boyd-gaines-01.jpg

Boyd Gaines 59, now resides in Atlanta Georgia.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/13 at 6:45 am

Yeah we'd want Boyd on the reunion episode, along with Ann's ex-hubs Joe Campanella.

http://images.zap2it.com/images/celeb-80319/joseph-campanella-4.jpg

I can't believe he's still alive. WOW!  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/13 at 6:35 pm

http://images.zap2it.com/images/celeb-80319/joseph-campanella-4.jpg

I can't believe he's still alive. WOW!  :o

He's living life one day at a time.  :P

Written By: ninny on 03/04/13 at 6:32 pm

R.I.P Bonnie I grew up a great fan of One Day At A Time, you were a great actress :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...