inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Irish Screen and Stage Actor Milo O'Shea Dies At Age 86

Written By: Claybricks on 04/07/13 at 7:27 am

Irish Screen and Stage Actor Milo O'Shea Dies At Age 86
07 April 2013

The actor will be remembered for his versatility and his unique attitude towards life and show business.

The cult Irish stage and screen star Milo O’Shea has died at age 86. O’Shea was known for his versatility as an actor, portraying both good and evil characters in comedic productions as well as dramatic ones. The actor began his career with a number of stage productions, but his first prominent role was as Leopold Bloom in the 1967 adaptation of James Joyce’s Ulysses.

O’Shea’s career was an mix of serious and somewhat bizarre roles. He played the infamous Dr. Durand Durand in the 1968 cult favorite Barbarella, starring Jane Fonda. O’Shea then followed up the role with a turn as the well-intentioned Friar Laurence in Zeffirelli’s 1968 adaptation of Romeo and Juliet and the abrasive trial judge in the 1982 film The Verdict, starring Paul Newman. 1968 also saw the actor star in his first ever Broadway role in Staircase, which earned him a Tony award nomination. O’Shea was again nominated for a Tony for his role in Mass Appeal in 1981.

A staple of O’Shea’s career was playing priests – both benevolent and evil ones. He also enjoyed portraying Irishmen. In the 1997 film The Matchmaker, for example, he depicted the title character, a gently scheming fellow intent on pairing up the residents of an Irish village, American tourists and other visitors. He later spoke of that role to the Irish Voice newspaper, saying that the character was “filled with love, and that’s how I tried to play him. That’s how I try to play all my characters, no matter who they are.”

The world of film and theatre will miss Milo O’Shea and his unique outlook on life and acting.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/milo-o-shea-dies_3589160

Dan

Subject: Re: Irish Screen and Stage Actor Milo O'Shea Dies At Age 86

Written By: Claybricks on 04/07/13 at 7:32 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-o69c_kQzs

R.I.P. Milo O'Shea

Dan

Written By: ninny on 04/07/13 at 12:08 pm

R.I.P  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 04/07/13 at 3:41 pm

I think I remember him, I forgot which film he was in?  ???
RIP.  :\'(

Written By: Claybricks on 04/07/13 at 3:53 pm

I think I remember him, I forgot which film he was in?  ???
RIP.  :\'(

See my video above and here are the rest...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0642675/

Dan

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/13 at 6:12 pm

He played Durand Durand in the movie Barbarella.  He was also in the music video or Duran Duran's 1984 hit The Wild Boys

Check for new replies or respond here...