inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jonathan Winters, dead at age 87

Written By: warped on 04/12/13 at 12:03 pm

Jonathan Winters, the comedic film and TV actor who was huge in the '70s and '80s on shows like "Mork and Mindy," has died at age 87 ... TMZ has learned.

Winters died last night of natural causes in Montecito, Calif, around 6:30 p.m., surrounded by friends and family.

Winters' career began when he won a talent contest, which led to radio gigs and appearances at comedy clubs. He was a staple on the late night TV circuit for decades -- he was one of Jack Paar's favorite guests and a Johnny Carson regular -- and recorded several classic comedy albums.

He often performed in character ... the best known of which was Maude Frickert, the seemingly sweet old lady with a quick and acid wit.

Subject: Re: Jonathan Winters, dead at age 87

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/13 at 12:25 pm

So sad. I always loved him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gIFU8jjeg

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: ninny on 04/12/13 at 3:06 pm

RIP  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/13 at 3:20 pm

Wow, we both posted this subject at exactly the same time - 01:03:24  :o

Written By: warped on 04/12/13 at 3:40 pm

Wow, we both posted this subject at exactly the same time - 01:03:24  :o

I noticed that. Yours was posted before mine (nanosecond before?) I tried to delete mine because yours was first, but wasn't able to do it, system won't allow me.

Jonathan Winters was a very funny man. I found the plot on Mork & Mindy a little ridiculous when they had Jonathan on it, so didn't watch it.  I liked him in "It's a mad mad mad mad world" , "The Russians are coming" and other spots on TV.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/13 at 3:40 pm

But Orkans age backwards.  He's not supposed to die for another 87 years :(

R.I.P. to a talented actor

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/13 at 3:55 pm

I noticed that. Yours was posted before mine (nanosecond before?) I tried to delete mine because yours was first, but wasn't able to do it, system won't allow me.

Jonathan Winters was a very funny man. I found the plot on Mork & Mindy a little ridiculous when they had Jonathan on it, so didn't watch it.  I liked him in "It's a mad mad mad mad world" , "The Russians are coming" and other spots on TV.

As much as I have always like Jonathan, I didn't like him on Mork & Mindy either-and stopped watching the show when he was on it. But I also liked "It's a mad...." & "The Russians are coming." ("We just got to get organized!" )

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/13 at 4:25 pm

As much as I have always like Jonathan, I didn't like him on Mork & Mindy either-and stopped watching the show when he was on it. But I also liked "It's a mad...." & "The Russians are coming." ("We just got to get organized!" )

Cat

I liked Jonathan in a lot of roles.

The guy in Mork & Mindy I do NOT like is Robin Williams, who has been ripping off Jonathan's schtick for years.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/12/13 at 6:03 pm

So sad :(

Written By: Howard on 04/12/13 at 7:23 pm

I liked Jonathan in a lot of roles.

The guy in Mork & Mindy I do NOT like is Robin Williams, who has been ripping off Jonathan's schtick for years.

What do you mean?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/12/13 at 7:24 pm

Man, this is sad I liked him in Mork And Mindy. RIP Johnathon Winters.  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/12/13 at 7:41 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Another comic legend gone!

Clips from my favorite Jonathan Winters role as the truck driver in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apHZKlQJI_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ9N7oCKC1E

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/13 at 7:42 pm

What do you mean?  ???

I mean Robin Williams for years has been ripping off Jonathan Winters' act. If you're gonna do comedy, be original.  There's only one Jonathan Winters!

Written By: warped on 04/12/13 at 8:10 pm

"We just got to get organized!"

Cat

:)

Written By: snozberries on 04/13/13 at 4:09 am

I don't know know if I ever told this story before:

Montecito, where Winters lived, is a part of Santa Barbara. Basically, it's right outside my front door.

Anyway- a few yrs ago I was in a training class at the SB Sheriffs Dept and a group of us went a local BBQ joint for lunch.  We're all sitting there eating and in walks Winters (and his care giver) well winters saw the table of twelve and came over to talk to us. He didn't just talk to us- he did a 20 minute routine.....unprompted! It was so awesome!!!!

My friend told me today he did the same thing to her in a grocery story.

The man a was genius and a true entertainer.

Thank you Jonathan for the laughs!

Written By: Howard on 04/13/13 at 5:40 am

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/MORK-AND-MINDY-JONATHAN-WINTERS-8X10-PHOTO-A3342-/20/!C!-mGH!BGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jQE0D7-!o91BNFoS9z+h!~~_35.JPG

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/13/13 at 12:01 pm

Sad!  I enjoyed his funny acts.  He will be missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Jonathan Winters

Written By: Howard on 04/13/13 at 7:52 pm

Did anyone see Mork And Mindy with him in it? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/14/13 at 5:33 am

Wow, I just realized... the Hee Haw Curse has struck again.

Cast members Buck Owens, Junior Samples, Grampa Jones, Minnie Pearl, George "Goober" Lindsey, Beauregard, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Stringbean (Dave Akeman), both Hager Brothers, and Don Rich have all gone to that great hoedown in the sky.  :-\\

Now Jonathan can provide the comedy.  :)

I'd like to see Roy Clark host a retrospective show or maybe a summer miniseries run with the remaining Hee Haw cast members.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/16/13 at 12:47 pm

Wow, I just realized... the Hee Haw Curse has struck again.

Cast members Buck Owens, Junior Samples, Grampa Jones, Minnie Pearl, George "Goober" Lindsey, Beauregard, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Stringbean (Dave Akeman), both Hager Brothers, and Don Rich have all gone to that great hoedown in the sky.  :-\\

Now Jonathan can provide the comedy.  :)

I'd like to see Roy Clark host a retrospective show or maybe a summer miniseries run with the remaining Hee Haw cast members.  :)

Doesn't sound like a curse.  Sounds like mortality!

Hee Haw was part of your Sunday afternoon leftovers line-up along with Fame reruns and Ripley's with Jack Palance!
;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/13 at 3:36 pm

Doesn't sound like a curse.  Sounds like mortality!

Exactly. If they all died within a short span of time then MAYBE it could be considered a curse-but we are talking about 40 years here!

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/24/13 at 2:46 pm

I don't know know if I ever told this story before:

Montecito, where Winters lived, is a part of Santa Barbara. Basically, it's right outside my front door.

Anyway- a few yrs ago I was in a training class at the SB Sheriffs Dept and a group of us went a local BBQ joint for lunch.  We're all sitting there eating and in walks Winters (and his care giver) well winters saw the table of twelve and came over to talk to us. He didn't just talk to us- he did a 20 minute routine.....unprompted! It was so awesome!!!!

My friend told me today he did the same thing to her in a grocery story.

The man a was genius and a true entertainer.

Thank you Jonathan for the laughs!

You are so lucky to have met him.  By the way I watched the Smurf movie just to hear his voice.

Written By: snozberries on 04/24/13 at 10:02 pm

You are so lucky to have met him.  By the way I watched the Smurf movie just to hear his voice.

:)

It really was an awesome experience. So unexpected and completely random.
If I had a smart phone back then I'd've captured it on video.

Check for new replies or respond here...