inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ray Manzarek 'Doors' Founding Member Dead at 74

Written By: Claybricks on 05/20/13 at 4:41 pm

Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/20/ray-manzarek-dead-the-doors-cancer/#ixzz2Ts61Wyew

Dan

Subject: Re: Ray Manzarek 'Doors' Founding Member Dead at 74

Written By: warped on 05/20/13 at 4:50 pm

Sad news to see Ray break on through (to the other side)

RIP.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 5:05 pm

So sad. The Doors were GREAT!!! My late brother-in-law got a chance to party with them.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/20/13 at 5:35 pm

Sad news as Ray break on through (to the other side)

RIP.

More or less what I was thinking. :\'(

Must have just happened less than an hour ago... since 100.3 The Sound has interrupted their alphabet with a marathon of Doors songs to honor Mr. Manzarek. They even announced it on their Facebook page.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/13 at 5:37 pm

Bummer. Ray could always be counted on to opine on anything related to The Doors.

He once said that the Doors' "cheesy organ sound" was because they did not have a bass player, so he had to be able to stack two keyboards on top of one another (one for the bass groove, the other as organ), and the only one that fit the bill had that cheese ball sound to it.  8)

No chance for a Doors reunion album now, since John Densmore has boycotted any such efforts and that leaves only Robbie Kreiger.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/13 at 5:38 pm

So sad. The Doors were GREAT!!! My late brother-in-law got a chance to party with them.

Cat

Partying with Jim Morrison had to be wild.  ;D

Written By: warped on 05/20/13 at 5:55 pm

That's for sure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/13 at 5:58 pm

OH WOW!  What a great loss!

Ray was a trip.  Wonderful musician.  Cool guy.

:\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 6:09 pm

I'm sure.

The story my BIL told me was when he was a teen, he lived in Waste West Haven, Conn. He was a paperboy. These were the days when the paperboy (or girl) had to collect. He went to one house to collect and the Doors were staying there (they were playing in New Haven). They invited him in to party with them. Of course they said to my BIL not to tell anyone they were there.

When he told me that story, I was like, WOW!!! HOW COOL IS THAT??!!!!

So now, he is probably partying with Ray & Jim.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: ninny on 05/20/13 at 6:33 pm

Wow this is a shocker. R.I.P Ray :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/13 at 7:26 pm

The story my BIL told me was when he was a teen, he lived in Waste West Haven, Conn. He was a paperboy. These were the days when the paperboy (or girl) had to collect. He went to one house to collect and the Doors were staying there (they were playing in New Haven).

I wonder if that was the New Haven concert when they maced and arrested Jim? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/20/13 at 7:35 pm

RIP Ray.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/13 at 7:51 pm

I wonder if that was the New Haven concert when they maced and arrested Jim? ???

Don't know. Could be.

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/20/13 at 8:42 pm

What an original was Ray!  I love that "cheesy" keyboard!  RIP.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/13 at 1:42 am

"This is the end, Beautiful friend"

RIP Ray  :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/21/13 at 12:21 pm

Bummer. Ray could always be counted on to opine on anything related to The Doors.

He once said that the Doors' "cheesy organ sound" was because they did not have a bass player, so he had to be able to stack two keyboards on top of one another (one for the bass groove, the other as organ), and the only one that fit the bill had that cheese ball sound to it.  8)

No chance for a Doors reunion album now, since John Densmore has boycotted any such efforts and that leaves only Robbie Kreiger.  :-\\

Ray's trademark "cheesy" organ sound was made primarily with a Vox Continental electronic combo organ, and he utilized a Rhodes Piano Bass sitting atop the Connie for the bass lines.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130520174627-02-ray-manzarek-horizontal-gallery.jpg

And I loved it. I've always loved the Doors more for Manzarek's keyboard playing than for Morrison's antics and poetry. Although my opinion of Ray Manzarek has deteriorated somewhat in recent years due to his shameless whoring of the Doors' legacy (and kudos to John Densmore for not taking part in it), he nonetheless remains one of my all-time favorite musicians and he will be missed.

RIP, Ray. Thanks for all the great music.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 12:57 pm

No one here gets out alive.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/13 at 7:14 pm

The time to hesitate is through.
No time to wallow in the more.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 7:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbFxzb-YIxE

Written By: Katluver on 05/21/13 at 9:28 pm

Without that "cheesy" organ, I'm not sure if I would enjoy listening to any of the Doors' music.
RIP, Ray.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/13 at 5:54 am

So now, he is probably partying with Ray & Jim.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Maybe he's partying with Ray.  Rumor has it that Morrison's death was staged and that Jim lives an obscure existence on a French farm, whiling away his days writing poetry, and beyond the reach of Florida's justice system.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/13 at 6:57 am

Maybe he's partying with Ray.  Rumor has it that Morrison's death was staged and that Jim lives an obscure existence on a French farm, whiling away his days writing poetry, and beyond the reach of Florida's justice system.

Do you have any proof?

Written By: holicman on 05/25/13 at 2:25 am

Ray's trademark "cheesy" organ sound was made primarily with a Vox Continental electronic combo organ, and he utilized a Rhodes Piano Bass sitting atop the Connie for the bass lines.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130520174627-02-ray-manzarek-horizontal-gallery.jpg

And I loved it. I've always loved the Doors more for Manzarek's keyboard playing than for Morrison's antics and poetry. Although my opinion of Ray Manzarek has deteriorated somewhat in recent years due to his shameless whoring of the Doors' legacy (and kudos to John Densmore for not taking part in it), he nonetheless remains one of my all-time favorite musicians and he will be missed.

RIP, Ray. Thanks for all the great music.  :(

I agree with all of that relating to Manarek's musical ability....... awesome musician,arguably one of the best keyboard players of all time.........Really will miss the fact he isnt around to take part in any doors reunion or even 60's music reunion......... RIP Ray Manzarek.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/02/13 at 10:17 pm

Oh no- the Doors were so awesome  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Ray Manzarek - thanks for the music!

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/13 at 5:55 pm

Check this out, great story by Ray.  8)

http://blogs.sacurrent.com/index.php/ray-manzarek-1939-2013-explains-riders-on-the-storm/

Yes he was a publicity whore par excellence, but still this is a great story telling!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...