inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eddie Braben, Morecambe and Wise writer, dies at 82

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/13 at 5:03 am

Eddie Braben, the writer behind comedy duo Morecambe and Wise, has died at 82.

He died on Tuesday morning after a short illness, his manager Norma Farnes confirmed.

He was a key member of their team, and was credited with contributing to their huge success by introducing comic elements of their off-stage relationship into their act.

Braben is also famed for writing for comedy greats such as David Frost, Ronnie Corbett and Ken Dodd.

He started writing with Morecambe and Wise in 1969, when he was invited to work for the BBC by the head of BBC TV light entertainment, Bill Cotton.

Farnes said that Cotton "recognised the brilliance of Eddie's writing was the ideal marriage that would guarantee the success of Morecambe and Wise".

Braben became a full-time comedy writer in the 50s and produced scripts for many of the comedians of the time, including fellow Liverpudlian Dodd.

He worked with Dodd for nearly 15 years before being being lured to work at the BBC.

His first experience of Morecambe and Wise was as a teenager when he saw them perform at the Liverpool Empire theatre where they were supporting Lena Hall.

"I wasn't a fan when I first saw them," he told the BBC in 2004. "I thought they were too American: Ernie was abrasive and Eric was a bit silly."

Braben is survived by his wife Dee, three children and six grandchildren.

Subject: Re: Eddie Braben, Morecambe and Wise writer, dies at 82

Written By: warped on 05/22/13 at 2:32 pm

Here were the Beatles on "Morecambe and Wise" back in the early 1960s. Not sure if Mr. Braben had a hand in writing the skits here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6heNV46G0Jw

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/13 at 4:07 am

One of the famous sketches of Morecambe and Wise, featuring the conductor Andre Previn, written by Eddie Braben.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s

btw, I can remember seeing this on it's first broadcast.

Written By: warped on 05/23/13 at 7:21 am

One of the famous sketches of Morecambe and Wise, featuring the conductor Andre Previn, written by Eddie Braben.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s

btw, I can remember seeing this on it's first broadcast.

Now that is a great sketch.

"I'm playing all the right notes...but not necessarily in the right order"  :)

And at 12:08...rubbish.  ;D

Written By: Paul on 05/27/13 at 1:45 pm

Here were the Beatles on "Morecambe and Wise" back in the early 1960s. Not sure if Mr. Braben had a hand in writing the skits here.

He didn't...this bit of banter was created by Dick Hills and Sid Green, who were M&W's writers up until 1969, when Braben took over...

And he did it superbly well...

Check for new replies or respond here...