inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Storm Chasers" Die In Oklahoma Twister

Written By: Henk on 06/02/13 at 10:25 am

Tim Samaras, 55, his son Paul Samaras, 24, and Carl Young, 45, have died while chasing a tornado in El Reno last Friday, relatives said. The three were known to viewers of the former Discovery Channel show "Storm Chasers" as part of the TWISTEX team.

This is sad news to the storm chasing community as a whole. As fellow storm chaser Doug Kiesling put it:  "We knew this day would happen someday, but nobody would imagine that it would happen to Tim. Tim was one of the safest people to go out there. ... He's had close calls but he's always had an escape route."

Subject: Re: "Storm Chasers" Die In Oklahoma Twister

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/13 at 10:57 am

It's terrible they died, but I'd chalk it up to hazards of the profession.  They were on one side of a dangerous business, Mother Nature was on the other.

:\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 06/02/13 at 12:44 pm

So sad.  My prayers go out to their families, and of all those affected by the tornadoes. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/13 at 9:16 pm

It's terrible they died, but I'd chalk it up to hazards of the profession.  They were on one side of a dangerous business, Mother Nature was on the other.

:\'(

Yeah.  These guys were one of the teams that was doing it right - they were always in it for the research and the data, not the videos.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/13 at 12:47 am

I've never seen a tornado.  They do happen in south Central Massachusetts and northern Connecticut, but I've never witnessed one.  I've even been in the same zip code as a tornado, and still not seen it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/13 at 3:46 am

I've never seen a tornado.  They do happen in south Central Massachusetts and northern Connecticut, but I've never witnessed one.  I've even been in the same zip code as a tornado, and still not seen it.

Tonight's your lucky night!  How close do you want to get?

-iuGipbmneY

Here's the EF4/5 from May 20 that hit Moore.  Some unlucky/silly person was too close for comfort, but got away with it and had a camera handy.

LobCDYO78Us

This was from 5/31 -- the TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle) survives only because it has skirts that go to ground level, and spikes that anchor it to the ground.  This is probably the first direct hit recorded on camera, and it was just a little one, just an EF1/EF2.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/13 at 7:05 am

I don't remember the last time a tornado hit New York. ???

Check for new replies or respond here...