inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: David "Deacon" Jones, the original sackmaster, has died.

Written By: ninny on 06/04/13 at 5:17 am

David "Deacon" Jones, the original sackmaster, has died.

The Hall of Fame defensive end credited with terming the word sack for how he knocked down quarterbacks, was 74. The Washington Redskins said that Jones died of natural causes at his home in Southern California on Monday night.

"Deacon Jones was one of the greatest players in NFL history. Off the field, he was a true giant," said Redskins general manager Bruce Allen, whose father, George, coached Jones with the Los Angeles Rams. "His passion and spirit will continue to inspire those who knew him. He was a cherished member of the Allen family and I will always consider him my big brother."

Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain. His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.
R.I.P Deacon :\'(

Subject: Re: David "Deacon" Jones, the original sackmaster, has died.

Written By: warped on 06/04/13 at 6:36 am

Deacon Jones. One of the best sack men ever.  I only remember seeing him at the tail end of his career, not his prime when he unoficially got 26 sacks in 1967, which would be an NFL record if they kept sack stats then.

R.I.P to the Secretary of Defense.

Check for new replies or respond here...