inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Malachi Throne died March 13, 2013 (Noah Bain from It Takes A Thief)

Written By: Claybricks on 06/23/13 at 7:18 pm

I was watching It Takes A Thief tonight and was curious if Malachi was still alive. I found that he died on March 13, 2013.

Malachi Throne, Actor on TV, Dies at 84

By DANIEL E. SLOTNIK

Published: March 24, 2013

Malachi Throne, a character actor best known for playing Robert Wagner’s boss on the ABC spy series “It Takes a Thief” and a villain on “Batman,” died on March 13 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 84.

The cause was complications from lung cancer, his wife, Marjorie, said.

Mr. Throne was a brawny, deep-voiced mainstay on television for nearly 50 years. He appeared on everything from “The Untouchables” in the early 1960s to “The West Wing” in 2002, and was one of the few actors seen on both Gene Roddenberry’s original “Star Trek” and “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

On “Batman,” in a two-part episode in 1966, he played False-Face, a criminal master of disguise whose visage is never fully revealed. For a time, Mr. Throne’s own identity remained a mystery; a question mark, rather than his name, appeared in the credits after Part 1, leading to wide speculation among fans.

“Every P.R. man in Hollywood started the wheels turning, that it was Frank Sinatra who was supposed to be False-Face; Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford — the whole Rat Pack,” Mr. Throne once told The Asbury Park Press. His identity was revealed at the end of the second installment.

Mr. Throne’s longest recurring part was on “It Takes a Thief.” From the show’s debut in 1968 until not long before it ended its short run, in 1970, he played Noah Bain, the boss of Alexander Mundy, a cat burglar and pickpocket turned government agent.

Malachi Throne was born on Dec. 1, 1928, in New York City and grew up in the Bronx. He attended Brooklyn College, served in the Army during the Korean War and acted on Broadway in Reginald Lawrence’s “Legend of Lizzie” and other plays. He also had a small role in the 2002 film “Catch Me if You Can.”

In addition to his wife, the former Marjorie Bernstein, he is survived by two sons, Zachary and Joshua, from his marriage to Judith Merians; a stepdaughter, Jill Chase; a stepson, Gary Kwawer; two grandchildren; and a sister, Sherry Lazan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/arts/television/malachi-throne-actor-in-it-takes-a-thief-dies-at-84.html?_r=0

'Batman' Villain Malachi Throne Dies at 84

10:44 AM PDT 3/15/2013 by Mike Barnes

UPDATE: The veteran TV actor also starred as Robert Wagner's boss on "It Takes a Thief" and on "Star Trek" after he turned down the role of Dr. McCoy.

Malachi Throne, the veteran TV actor who played Robert Wagner's boss on It Takes a Thief and the enigmatic evildoer False-Face on Batman, died Wednesday in Los Angeles of lung cancer. He was 84.

Justified actor Jim Beaver reported Throne's death Thursday on his Facebook page. “My good friend Malachi Throne died last night. One of the finest actors and finest people I've been fortunate enough to know,” the entry said.

Throne provided the voice of the Talosian leader The Keeper for "The Cage," the pilot episode of Star Trek, and in 1966 played Commodore José Mendez in the only two-parter of the original series.

Earlier, he rejected Gene Roddenberry's offer to play Dr. Leonard McCoy on the series after Throne lobbied for the role of Spock. "There's an old saying among actors: 'Never be the third man through the door,' and I felt I would always be the third man in that role," he once said.

Throne also worked on Star-Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II. And with his distinctive deep voice, he narrated the original trailer for Star Wars (1977).

The action-adventure It Takes a Thief, inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief (1955), starring Cary Grant, ran on ABC from January 1968 to March 1970. It starred Wagner as sophisticated thief Alexander Mundy, who is freed from jail so he can steal for the U.S. government.

Throne's Noah Bain worked for the Secret Intelligence Agency and frequently threatened to return Mundy to prison if he didn't do what he was told.

Throne exited It Takes a Thief in the third season and was replaced by Edward Binns, reportedly upset when the series was to film in Italy and he was being asked to stay behind and give Wagner's character orders over the phone.

On ABC's Batman, Throne's face was never seen as he strapped on a bizarre plastic mask when he wasn't posing as Chief O'Hara, Commissioner Gordon and others as False-Face in 1966. In the series' traditional two-part format, he is mysteriously credited as "?" in the first part (but as Thone in the second).

"Everyone wanted to know who played False-Face. It was a two-part episode, so after the first week the papers were abuzz," he once said. "Eventually, I cooled down and let them put my name at the end of the second episode. It was the best press I ever got in my life."

Born Dec. 1, 1928, in New York City, Throne played Huckleberry Finn at age 10 in the New York Parks Department's production of Tom Sawyer. He worked in off-Broadway and Broadway productions before guest-starring on scores of TV shows, including Naked City, The Untouchables, 77 Sunset Strip, Ben Casey, The Defenders, The Fugitive, I Spy, The Big Valley, The Time Tunnel, Hogan's Heroes, Hawaii Five-O, What's Happening!, Babylon 5, Melrose Place and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Throne was an active member of the Theatre West company in Los Angeles. He was scheduled to appear in The Fantasticks there this past fall but had to withdraw because of his fading health, publicist Philip Sokoloff said. His wife said Throne was cremated and there will be no services.

"Theatre West says goodbye to our friend and colleague Malachi Throne," said a message on the theater's home page.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/malachi-throne-batman-star-trek-thief-429009

10:44 AM PDT 3/15/2013 by Mike Barnes

http://www.timem.com/starwebs/malachithrone/

Dan

Subject: Re: Malachi Throne died March 13, 2013 (Noah Bain from It Takes A Thief)

Written By: warped on 06/24/13 at 6:11 am

Oh sure I remember him from ITAT and a character actor in other TV shows.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsT/17114.gif

Sad news.

Check for new replies or respond here...