inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cory Monteith, 31, star of Glee

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/14/13 at 2:20 am

http://www.thewrap.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_width_640/2013/Jul/13/102996/main_image/corynews-article.jpg

Cory Monteith, the troubled star of Fox's musical phenomenon "Glee," was found dead Saturday at a Vancouver hotel. He was 31.

Vancouver police confirmed at a news conference that the actor's body was found just after noon on Saturday at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver. He had recently finished a stint in rehab for substance addiction, after previously seeking help for addiction at 19.

"On behalf of the Vancouver Police, I want to pass on our condolences to the family, friends, castmates and millions of fans of Mr. Monteith," acting chief Doug LePard said. "As was the case in countless homes, I watched 'Glee' regularly with my daughters, and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death."

Also read: Cory Monteith Death: Twitter Reacts

As Finn Hudson on "Glee," Monteith helped make it cool again to sing on scripted shows. As a jock turned gleek, he served as a surrogate for those in the audience who weren't sure about embracing music -- and delivered jawdropping renditions of songs like U2's "One" and Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror."

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic news. Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person," Fox said in a statement on behalf of the network, the show's producers and 20th Century Television. "He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously.  Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."

Monteith had seemed to have turned a corner recently, emerging from rehab and appearing last month with girfriend and co-star Lea Michele at a charity ball.

Police responded within minutes of recieving a call from the BC Ambulance Service regarding a sudden death in a room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel at 1038 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver.

Upon arriving at the scene, paramedics advised the officers that Monteith was dead. Coroner's staff was also on the scene.

Officials said no cause of death was apparent at this time, but that Monteith had been dead for several hours before his body was discovered.

According to the police statement, Monteith checked into the hotel on Saturday, July 6 and was due to check out of the room on Saturday. Monteith had guests in his room on Friday night, but video and key entry records show him returning to his room by himself in the early morning hours when police believe he was alone when he died.

Hotel staff discovered his body when they went to check his room after he missed check-out.

Police officials have detectives assigned to the case who attended with the Forensic Identification Unit to examine the scene to continue investigating the death.

The police investigators have secured hotel video and room access records. They have spoken with hotel staff, who police say are providing their utmost cooperation.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday. The Coroner will be determining the next steps with respect to establishing cause of death, but all indications are that there was no foul play.

Born in Calgary on May 11, 1982, Monteith began his acting career in Vancouver.

An original "Glee" castmember, Monteith played football jock-turned-lovable-lead singer Finn Hudson since the Fox series debuted in 2009. He also stars in the upcoming independent film, "All the Wrong Reasons."

The actor admitted himself into a facility for substance addiction earlier this year and completed the treatment program in April.

Subject: Re: Cory Monteith, 31, star of Glee

Written By: ninny on 07/14/13 at 5:07 am

This is very sad and shocking news. R.I.P Cory :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/13 at 7:51 am

I wonder if Glee is going to re-cast his character? ???

Written By: warped on 07/14/13 at 9:20 am

Wow. Died way too young.

I know he had a history of drug problems. Wait for the autopsy, I guess.
"Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel". Nice hotel. Expensive..

Sad news

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/13 at 11:34 am

I'm devastated.

I saw him about 5 times. Got autographs twice. Genuinely talked to him once Che was a nice guy.
On a purely selfish level I have a pic I was dying (unfortunate pun not intended) to get him to sign....now I never will. It was a pic of him praying to grilled cheesus (one of my fave glee eps)

Written By: Howard on 07/14/13 at 3:41 pm

I wonder if Glee is going to re-cast his character? ???

I doubt it but I don't think so.

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/13 at 5:47 pm

I doubt it but I don't think so.

They won't. I do wonder if the will kill off Finn and give a fitting tribute....or "send him away"

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/13 at 6:00 pm

They won't. I do wonder if the will kill off Finn and give a fitting tribute....or "send him away"

Back in the '70s they'd just say that he went "to take care of his out of town aunt" and he'd be off the show.

In the '60s they would have re-cast the part, like they did with Darren #1 and Darren #2 on Bewitched.

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/13 at 6:10 pm

Back in the '70s they'd just say that he went "to take care of his out of town aunt" and he'd be off the show.

In the '60s they would have re-cast the part, like they did with Darren #1 and Darren #2 on Bewitched.

Bewitched was a different kind of show and you needed Darren to make it work. They don't need a Finn and Ryan Murphy is smart enough to know how recasting would negatively impact Glee fans.

Written By: warped on 07/14/13 at 7:28 pm

I'm thinking they might give him a fitting tribute...maybe 1 song.

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/13 at 7:40 pm

I'm thinking they might give him a fitting tribute...maybe 1 song.

It's glee.  There's will be 15 songs.  And 12 minutes of dialogue...max.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/14/13 at 9:05 pm

Glee's first 2 seasons were good, but after that I didn't like it anymore.

As for Cory, I'm shocked. :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/13 at 2:00 am

Drugs.  I'd be shocked if it was anything else. 
:\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/16/13 at 5:19 pm

Drugs.  I'd be shocked if it was anything else. 
:\'(

Sadly, the coroner just confirmed that he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.

Written By: nally on 07/16/13 at 5:21 pm

Sadly, the coroner just confirmed that he died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.

So sad when people O.D. on those things. :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/13 at 5:54 pm

Heck of a combo.  Good way to shut your body down permanently.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/13 at 11:24 pm

I think they call that a Janis Joplin!
:o

Written By: Howard on 07/17/13 at 7:29 am

what a way to end your life.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/17/13 at 7:30 am

So sad when people O.D. on those things. :\'(

many people during the past 10 years have died of overdoses.

Written By: nally on 07/17/13 at 11:59 am

many years during the past 10 years have died of overdoses.

Even longer ago than that, famous people have lost their lives to drug overdoses. :\'(

Written By: Tam on 07/17/13 at 1:40 pm

I would like to see them tackle the drug issue.
They have tackled several other issues quite nicely ie. catfishing, texting and driving, teen pregnancy, guns in school etc.

Although Cory voluntarily took the drugs that caused his death, the writers might approach it from a different angle. Finn is in college right - so he goes to a party and not paying attention to his drinks, someone drops something in and he dies from it. Of course, this will have all happened prior to their season premiere, and so they open with everyone being given the information yadda yadda.

It would be a touching tribute and would wrap up the character that is Finn nicely. (Because I could honestly see that happening to him.)

Just my two cents.

Written By: Starde on 07/17/13 at 4:39 pm

Haven't watched Glee in almost 3 years now, but I was shocked to hear of his passing over the weekend. Gone too soon. RIP.

In terms of the show, I can't see the producers recasting his character. They'll most likely do something similar to what they did on 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter when John Ritter died or on NewsRadio when Phil Hartman passed away.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/13 at 6:57 pm

I would like to see them tackle the drug issue.

Saved by the Bell did an episode like that, where Elizabeth Berkeley  :-* was abusing No-Doz.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 7:12 am

Saved by the Bell did an episode like that, where Elizabeth Berkeley  :-* was abusing No-Doz.

I remember that episode.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/18/13 at 11:25 am

As a "Gleek" this whole mess is hurtful to me.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...