inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comedian Mel Smith Dies at 60

Written By: Claybricks on 07/20/13 at 12:42 pm

Comedian Mel Smith Dies at 60

8:20 AM PDT 7/20/2013 by THR Staff

The actor and writer died of a heart attack in his home in London on Friday.

Comedian, actor and writer Mel Smith has died at the age of 60 of a heart attack, his agent, Michael Foster, tells BBC News.

A statement from Smith's wife, Pat, to the U.K. news service read: "Mel Smith, comedian and writer, died on Friday aged 60, from a heart attack at his home in north west London."

The actor starred in the TV series Alas Smith & Jones, in which he appeared alongside Griff Rhys Jones.

In a statement quoted by The Guardian, Jones deemed Smith "a gentleman and a scholar, a gambler and a wit. We are all in a state of shock. We have lost a very, very dear friend."

Smith's big screen roles also included appearances in The Princess Bride and National Lampoon's European Vacation.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/comedian-mel-smith-dies-at-589516

Dan

Subject: Re: Comedian Mel Smith Dies at 60

Written By: warped on 07/20/13 at 12:58 pm

I remember him from "Not the nine o'clock news". Funny show. Rowan Atkinson was on that too.

sad news.

Subject: Re: Comedian Mel Smith Dies at 60

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/13 at 7:23 pm

I remember him best from National Lampoon's European Vacation ...

Rusty:  "Dad, he's speaking English"

He was a great performer.  I love his late 80s duet with Kim Wilde on the Christmas cover Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.  I listen to that one every Christmas!  But who needs to wait until Christmas ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnaPAJgAQI

Check for new replies or respond here...