inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dennis Farina

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/13 at 2:30 pm

I don't know the details I just saw this on FB
:\'(

Subject: Re: Dennis Farina

Written By: ninny on 07/22/13 at 2:50 pm

I don't know the details I just saw this on FB

I read the same thing, I haven't found any details either. So sad he was only 69 :\'(
Ok Wikipedia says blood clot in his lung.
He had a long and great career.

Written By: warped on 07/22/13 at 3:09 pm

sad news.

Written By: nally on 07/22/13 at 3:12 pm

Sad news indeed. And it seems official now; I see headlines confirming it.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/13 at 3:30 pm

such a terrific actor. RIP Dennis Farina.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/13 at 3:35 pm

NO!!! :( :( :( :(

I will always know him best for the TV show Crime Story, the 1988 movie Midnight Run and the 2003 sitcom The In-Laws that got me so mad w hen NBC cancelled it.

He was a great actor and will be missed

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/13 at 3:49 pm

"Would you like to tweet that, Billy?"

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/22/13 at 4:22 pm

Really sad, he was a unique actor.

Cop turned actor actually, was a Chicago cop for a long while and then Michael Man picked him up for a small thug role in "Thief".
He was iconic as Lt. Mike Torello in (Michael Mann's) Crime Story (which was waayyy better than Miami Vice as far as 80's cop shows go) and in movies like "Snatch".

RIP.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/13 at 6:20 pm

Dashing my hopes for the return of " Crime Story". rest in peace Dennis  :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/13 at 6:30 pm

Really sad, he was a unique actor.
He was iconic as Lt. Mike Torello in (Michael Mann's) Crime Story (which was waayyy better than Miami Vice as far as 80's cop shows go).

Careful, gumby. Mann only chose Farina for that show because of his performance as the classic Miami Vice gangster Al Lombard.
Still, losing him stinks. Dennis was one of the great character actors of his time, even in the smaller roles he played. By which I mean he may not be stealing the scene, but you'd definitely miss him if he wasn't there.
My favorite of his bad guys will always be Jimmy Sorrano of Midnight Run.

Jack Walsh(Robert DeNiro): Jimmy, there's something I've wanted to say to you for ten years.
Jimmy Sorrano: Yeah, what's that?
Jack Walsh: You're under arrest. ;D

DeNiro or Sam Waterston(L&O) would be the best choices to eulogize him. Rest In Peace, Dennis.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/13 at 8:58 pm

Jack Walsh(Robert DeNiro): Jimmy, there's something I've wanted to say to you for ten years.
Jimmy Sorrano: Yeah, what's that?
Jack Walsh: You're under arrest. ;D

My second favourite line in that film.  The first one was Walsh and Moseley in the police station ...

Jack Walsh: I know my rights. You owe me phone calls.
Alonzo Mosely: What should be of paramount importance to you right now is not the phone calls, it's the fact that you're gonna spend ten years for impersonating a federal agent.
Jack Walsh: 10 years for impersonating a fed, uh?
Alonzo Mosely: 10 years.
Jack Walsh: How comes no one's after you?

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/13 at 10:11 pm

And tonight, somewhere on that great soundstage in the sky, Dennis Farina, alias Sorrano, will finally know how many guys the FBI has named Moseley. ;) I just hope they're not all first-named Alonzo!

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/22/13 at 10:44 pm

Damn, I hate to see Dennis Farina go, he seemed like a really cool guy and I would have loved to have met him.

He played a total asshole mob boss in one of my and my brother Rob's favorite movies, Get Shorty,  and we'd always quote him. I don't know why, but for some reason we found it particularly funny when he jumped into a taxicab and just muttered to the driver, "The f*ckin' airport."

R.I.P. Mr. Farina, you'll be missed.  :\'(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/23/13 at 10:54 am

Nooooo!  :\'(

I loved watching him host Unsolved Mysteries and the two guest spots he played on Miami Vice! Nooooo!

I'm heartbroken!

Check for new replies or respond here...