inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: After Eights Creator Brian Sollitt Has Died aged 74

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/13 at 4:12 am

In 1962, eight years into his employment at York, England, confectionary Rowntree’s, Brian Sollitt became the head of the "Crème Experimentation" division and was tasked with creating the dark chocolate and peppermint fondant squares eventually known as After Eight mints. The ritzy candies were later produced in a dozen flavors and went on to sell around the world. Sollitt, who also invented the Lion and Yorkie candy bars, said that the presentation of jumbo After Eights at the Houses of Parliament in December on the eve of the candies' 50th anniversary was "one of the proudest moments of his life." Sollit has died at the age of 74.

Subject: Re: After Eights Creator Brian Sollitt Has Died aged 74

Written By: whistledog on 09/13/13 at 3:38 pm

R.I.P. to Mr. Sollitt.  I've loved After Eight mints since I was a kid.  Didnt love the After Eight chocolate bar though as it was too much mint at once  I like em in the little squares

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/13/13 at 8:02 pm

Tasty little squares, maximum surface area of chocolate and mint, reviewed here with jokes about the 80s and ABBA.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Y0rP8MO_beQ/T9Jogz_vcAI/AAAAAAAAAcI/5l8ECTzgAqM/s800/DSC_0057.JPG

And why the hell didn't I think of using them as garnishes and decorations until now?

Written By: Howard on 09/14/13 at 3:16 pm

We all should enjoy some in his honor.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/13 at 6:44 am

Love After Eights....thank you Mr Sollitt

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/13 at 4:56 pm

Why did they call them After Eights ? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/16/13 at 6:36 am

Why did they call them After Eights ? ???

Maybe like after 7pm when dinner was over you had like an after dinner mint.

Check for new replies or respond here...