inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Author Tom Clancy dies at 66

Written By: nally on 10/02/13 at 11:33 am

Tom Clancy, a celebrated bestselling author of crime fiction and military thrillers, passed away last night at a hospital in Baltimore. He was 66.

His works include "The Hunt For Red October" and "Patriot Games", which later had blockbuster films based on them.

Full story here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books/tom-clancy-best-selling-novelist-of-military-thrillers-dies-at-66.html?_r=0

R.I.P. Mr. Clancy; you gave us some well-written literature.

Subject: Re: Author Tom Clancy dies at 66

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/02/13 at 12:04 pm

Patriot Games are over... the man who ripped the plots of his bestselling novels from Tomorrow's headlines has ascended to Heaven. This is The Sum Of All my Fears.
I got hooked on Clancy at 15 when I read The Hunt For Red October, and have read nearly every Jack Ryan/J.T. Clark novel since. The Teeth Of The Tiger bogged me down a bit because neither character was present as a new generation picked up the torch, but I am still resolved to continue reading his later works.
It was Tom who first inspired me to write, not so much in the same genre, but he was a big influence on me nevertheless. I doubt there will be another writer like him for years, and I can only hope to be half as critically acclaimed as Tom was, while delighting as many readers. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Semper Fidelis, my friend.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/13 at 3:33 pm

I loved him as the corrupt prison guard in The Shawshank Redemption too.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/13 at 7:32 pm

RIP Tom Clancy.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/13 at 8:54 pm

Does this mean no more Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon games?

He was a great author.  R.I.P.

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/02/13 at 10:04 pm

Does this mean no more Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon games?

He was a great author.  R.I.P.

Probably not, but it most likely means no more Jack Ryan novels. As for movies, I'm still waiting for a follow-up to The Sum Of All Fears, Of course, by now Ben Affleck(Jack Ryan) could direct it himself!
I heard some unconfirmed report that Tom was battling cancer, which if true, would explain his 7-year hiatus between books, but after 3 years, was he taken by a fatal recurrence?
My Grandfather and I both loved Tom's stories, and today's news made me feel like I was losing a part of Gramps all over again.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/13 at 4:46 am

Probably not, but it most likely means no more Jack Ryan novels.

My favorite of the Jack Ryan stories was in "Sixteen Candles" with his red Porsche.

Written By: ninny on 10/03/13 at 7:18 am

What a great loss. R.I.P Tom Clancy :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/22/13 at 3:31 pm

Probably not, but it most likely means no more Jack Ryan novels. As for movies, I'm still waiting for a follow-up to The Sum Of All Fears, Of course, by now Ben Affleck(Jack Ryan) could direct it himself!
I heard some unconfirmed report that Tom was battling cancer, which if true, would explain his 7-year hiatus between books, but after 3 years, was he taken by a fatal recurrence?
My Grandfather and I both loved Tom's stories, and today's news made me feel like I was losing a part of Gramps all over again.

Your Pal,
Doc

UPDATE: I know now from an update on Wikipedia that Tom had spent years battling not cancer, but heart disease. At least now that I know why, I can take a little more solace in his books. Still, what terrible loss I will feel again, when I have finished reading the last one. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...