inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ed Lauter, Actor With a Familiar Face, Dies at 74

Written By: ninny on 10/22/13 at 7:39 am

Ed Lauter, a character actor whose long, angular face and stern bearing in scores of roles made him an instantly recognizable figure in movies and on television for five decades, died on Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 74.
Menacing characters were his forte. He was the brutal prison guard and Burt Reynolds’s nemesis in the 1974 comedy-drama “The Longest Yard” and the sleazy gas station attendant in Alfred Hitchcock’s last film, “Family Plot” (1976). In “Death Wish 3” (1985), he was the violent police officer who teamed up with Charles Bronson’s vigilante to rid New York City’s streets of criminals by killing them.

More recently he was the butler to the ingénue played by Bérénice Bejo in “The Artist,” which won the Oscar for best film in 2012.

His numerous other movies included Oliver Stone’s “Born on the Fourth of July,” with Tom Cruise; “The New Centurions,” with George C. Scott; and the comedies “My Blue Heaven,” “Revenge of the Nerds II” and “Not Another Teen Movie.” His television credits included “The Office,” “ER,” “Murder, She Wrote” and “The Rockford Files.”
R.I.P Ed  :\'(

Subject: Re: Ed Lauter, Actor With a Familiar Face, Dies at 74

Written By: warped on 10/22/13 at 8:24 am

This guy:

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ed-lauter.jpg

I remember him, sure. Good character actor.

Written By: ninny on 10/22/13 at 8:28 am

This guy:

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ed-lauter.jpg

I remember him, sure. Good character actor.

Yes he was.

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/13 at 9:07 am

He was a great actor.  I think him best as Sarah Jessica Parker's dad in Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, but I also remember him from Lassiter, Cujo and one of my favourite 80s films:  Real Genius

Written By: Howard on 10/22/13 at 7:36 pm

RIP Ed Lauter.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/23/13 at 5:24 am

Wow this is a bad year for 74 year olds. First Ray Manzarek then JJ Cale and now Ed Lauter.  :\'( they say this happens in threes.

Ed was awesome. Few people could play the role of "prick" like him. But he also had a softer side, handing the game ball to Eddie Albert, or giving Charles Bronson a head start after ol Charlie blew that gang dude to smithereens in Death Wish 3.  8)

RIP Ed... Thanks for all the great characters.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...