inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Love Lucy's Shirley Mitchell Passes Away...

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/16/13 at 8:34 am

Comedic actress Shirley Mitchell, legendary for her role in the TV series I Love Lucy, passed away on November 11th due to heart failure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/13/shirley-mitchell-dead_n_4269856.html

She was also a regular guest on comedic fare such as Petticoat JunctionThe Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres back when CBS was known as The Hillbilly Network.  ;D

Seems the cast of I Love Lucy did not fare well after the show's run.  Shirley is believed to have been the last surviving adult cast member of the show.  Makes you wonder.  :-\\

Here's a pic of Shirley (on the right) with Viv Vance.  :)

http://www.abc.es/Media/201311/14/Shirley-mitchell-cbs--644x362.jpg

Subject: Re: I Love Lucy's Shirley Mitchell Passes Away...

Written By: warped on 11/16/13 at 11:48 am

Sad news. I liked the show. Great show.

She died at 94 and lived a long life.  Not really that surprising if she was the last surviving adult cast member of the show. The show "I Love Lucy" ended in 1957. That's 56 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/13 at 3:34 pm

So there's no more living from the cast of I Love Lucy? ???

Written By: warped on 11/16/13 at 3:44 pm

Little Ricky (Keith Thibodeaux) is still around. He will be 63 in December. But he was just a kid at the time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/16/13 at 6:54 pm

Hardly anyone is left other than "Little Ricky" (IMDb lists at least 6 people who played this role).

Kathryn Card (Mrs. McGillicuddy) was the first to pass away after the show went off the air way back in 1964 and then William Frawley and Hazel Boyne (the cleaning lady) went in 1966.

This is one of those shows like "Hogan's Heroes" where the cast members just seemed to pass away after the show was off the air...

Written By: snozberries on 11/16/13 at 8:40 pm

Hardly anyone is left other than "Little Ricky" (IMDb lists at least 6 people who played this role).

Kathryn Card (Mrs. McGillicuddy) was the first to pass away after the show went off the air way back in 1964 and then William Frawley and Hazel Boyne (the cleaning lady) went in 1966.

This is one of those shows like "Hogan's Heroes" where the cast members just seemed to pass away after the show was off the air...

wasn't Mrs McGillicuddy like 80 when the show was on the air???  Oh wait I was thinking of Mrs Trumbull played by Elizabeth Patterson... she was 90 when she died in 66.
William Frawley was pretty old too so their passings shouldn't have been too surprising.... he was 79.

Lucy was 77.
Desi was 69.
Vivian was 70.

I mean at least they were all relatively old at the times of their deaths...  not that I want to die at 69 or 90  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/16/13 at 8:43 pm

wasn't Mrs McGillicuddy like 80 when the show was on the air???  Oh wait I was thinking of Mrs Trumbull played by Elizabeth Patterson... she was 90 when she died in 66.
William Frawley was pretty old too so their passings shouldn't have been too surprising.... he was 79.

Lucy was 77.
Desi was 69.
Vivian was 70.

I mean at least they were all relatively old at the times of their deaths...  not that I want to die at 69 or 90  :D

But they were all in good health while the show was filming.  Seems that after the show went off the air their health went in decline.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 11/16/13 at 8:51 pm

But they were all in good health while the show was filming.  Seems that after the show went off the air their health went in decline.  :-\\

I Love Lucy went off the air in 57...
The Lucy Desi Hour had 13 eps from 57-60... essentially Bill lived for about 6 or 7 yrs after the show went off the air.
Mrs McGillicuddy lived for almost 10 yrs after the show went off the air.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/16/13 at 9:00 pm

I Love Lucy went off the air in 57...
The Lucy Desi Hour had 13 eps from 57-60... essentially Bill lived for about 6 or 7 yrs after the show went off the air.
Mrs McGillicuddy lived for almost 10 yrs after the show went off the air.

Yeah that matches my recollection.  Although Mrs. McGillicuddy only lasted for 7 years after the original-run show went off the air.  (Well the first-run..  The show never really went "off the air" thanks to reruns)

Written By: snozberries on 11/16/13 at 9:36 pm

Yeah that matches my recollection.  Although Mrs. McGillicuddy only lasted for 7 years after the original-run show went off the air.  (Well the first-run..  The show never really went "off the air" thanks to reruns)

yeah but she was still 71 when she died so it's not like her death was a sudden shock or anything

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/13 at 5:45 am

yeah but she was still 71 when she died so it's not like her death was a sudden shock or anything

Actually she died at her home from a sudden heart attack.  Pretty much was the same story for William Frawley a couple years later except he was out for a walk.

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/13 at 7:36 am

Actually she died at her home from a sudden heart attack.  Pretty much was the same story for William Frawley a couple years later except he was out for a walk.

I just meant that when someone in their 70s dies its not like people are as shocked as they would be if she were 40 when she died.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/17/13 at 9:14 pm

I loved watching Lucy as a kid. On  the rare days when I have insomnia, I can catch them on the boob tube.

Written By: nally on 11/18/13 at 9:28 am

I hardly remember her (perhaps due to a minor role), but I do know that the show had lots of recurring characters, whose actors have passed on, as well as actors who played several different characters.

R.I.P. to the last actor who played an adult character on a classic TV series...

Check for new replies or respond here...