inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canadian wrestler Maurice "Mad Dog" Vachon dies at age 84

Written By: warped on 11/21/13 at 12:33 pm

The renowned Quebec wrestler Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vachon has died in his sleep at age 84.
His brother and long-time tag-team partner, Paul 'The Butcher', confirmed that Vachon died around 4 a.m. in his Omaha, Nebraska home.
The second of 13 children born to a police officer, Vachon was born Sept. 14, 1929 in Montreal and raised in the west end neighbourhood of Ville Emard.
The Vachon brothers began wrestling as teenagers, and Vachon proved to be a formidable athlete, competing in the 1948 Olympic Games in London where he placed seventh in the 79 kg weight class.
Two years later he won a gold medal in New Zealand at the Games of the British Empire, the precursor to today's Commonwealth Games.
He picked up the moniker 'Mad Dog' after a match in the early 1960s when he was wrestling in Oregon, after a wild bout that saw him attack a referee and a police officer.
He continued wrestling into the 1980s, spending his last few years in the ring fighting World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment) notables such as Hulk Hogan.

I remember watching his wrestle on TV when I was a kid.

http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/superstar_bio/public/talent/bio/2012/04/maddog_bio.png

RIP Mad Dog, and thanks for the entertainment.

Subject: Re: Canadian wrestler Maurice "Mad Dog" Vachon dies at age 84

Written By: Howard on 11/21/13 at 2:42 pm

I remember Mad Dog Vachon was inducted into The Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. RIP Mad Dog, along with Luna and his Sister Vivian Vachon. :\'(

Written By: warped on 11/21/13 at 4:42 pm

I remember Mad Dog Vachon was inducted into The Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. RIP Mad Dog, along with Luna and his Sister Vivian Vachon. :\'(

He was very popular in the late 1960s and early 1970 in Quebec. Here he is with Andre the Giant in the early 70s.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/RARE-MAD-DOG-VACHON-signed-autographed-wrestling-photo-WWE-AWA-ANDRE-THE-GIANT-/00/s/NjY0WDUwMA==/z/uWwAAOxyFrNRxc70/$(KGrHqV,!qsFGhC3DID2BR)c7z8RgQ~~60_35.JPG

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/13 at 6:01 pm

Seems like a lot of pro wrestlers have passed away lately.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 11/22/13 at 4:20 pm

He was very popular in the late 1960s and early 1970 in Quebec. Here he is with Andre the Giant in the early 70s.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/RARE-MAD-DOG-VACHON-signed-autographed-wrestling-photo-WWE-AWA-ANDRE-THE-GIANT-/00/s/NjY0WDUwMA==/z/uWwAAOxyFrNRxc70/$(KGrHqV,!qsFGhC3DID2BR)c7z8RgQ~~60_35.JPG

He played the heel quite well.

Written By: warped on 11/22/13 at 5:18 pm

He played the heel quite well.

He did. Mad dog played the "insane person" pretty well too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/23/13 at 1:21 am

The renowned Quebec wrestler Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vachon has died in his sleep at age 84.
His brother and long-time tag-team partner, Paul 'The Butcher', confirmed that Vachon died around 4 a.m. in his Omaha, Nebraska home.
The second of 13 children born to a police officer, Vachon was born Sept. 14, 1929 in Montreal and raised in the west end neighbourhood of Ville Emard.
The Vachon brothers began wrestling as teenagers, and Vachon proved to be a formidable athlete, competing in the 1948 Olympic Games in London where he placed seventh in the 79 kg weight class.
Two years later he won a gold medal in New Zealand at the Games of the British Empire, the precursor to today's Commonwealth Games.
He picked up the moniker 'Mad Dog' after a match in the early 1960s when he was wrestling in Oregon, after a wild bout that saw him attack a referee and a police officer.
He continued wrestling into the 1980s, spending his last few years in the ring fighting World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment) notables such as Hulk Hogan.

I remember watching his wrestle on TV when I was a kid.

http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/superstar_bio/public/talent/bio/2012/04/maddog_bio.png

RIP Mad Dog, and thanks for the entertainment.

I don't really remember him, but it turns out he's lived here in Omaha for the past 30 years. I just came across an interesting story about him on the Omaha World-Herald (or as we lovingly call it, the Weird Harold) website.

Apparently Mad Dog Vachon lost a leg in 1987 in a traffic accident in Des Moines, Iowa, a year after he retired from wrestling. 9 years later he was sitting ringside at a nationally televised pay-per-view wrestling event at the Omaha Civic Auditorium when a wrestler named Diesel grabbed Vachon, threw him into the ring, ripped off his prosthetic leg and beat the hell out of him with it.

Naturally Vachon denied having any prior knowledge of this.  ;) ;D

I never heard about this before but it's pretty awesome. R.I.P. Mad Dog, I'll bet you were a pretty cool guy.

Written By: warped on 11/23/13 at 1:40 am

I don't really remember him, but it turns out he's lived here in Omaha for the past 30 years. I just came across an interesting story about him on the Omaha World-Herald (or as we lovingly call it, the Weird Harold) website.

Apparently Mad Dog Vachon lost a leg in 1987 in a traffic accident in Des Moines, Iowa, a year after he retired from wrestling. 9 years later he was sitting ringside at a nationally televised pay-per-view wrestling event at the Omaha Civic Auditorium when a wrestler named Diesel grabbed Vachon, threw him into the ring, ripped off his prosthetic leg and beat the hell out of him with it.

I never heard about this before but it's pretty awesome. R.I.P. Mad Dog, I'll bet you were a pretty cool guy.

Yeah he did lose a leg in an accident, that was big news in Quebec when it happened.
And yeah, I was surprised to find he's been living in America as well. I didn't know that part.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/13 at 4:16 pm

He did. Mad dog played the "insane person" pretty well too.

and so did Luna, Did you know Luna died too? ???

Written By: Howard on 11/23/13 at 4:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFyCQlbO7VA

I remember this it was In Your House: Best Friends,Better Enemies 1996 Diesel was fighting Shawn Michaels at the time for the world title.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/23/13 at 11:37 pm

I remember this it was In Your House: Best Friends,Better Enemies 1996 Diesel was fighting Shawn Michaels at the time for the world title.

I guess I didn't quite have the story right, but thanks for posting that video!  ;)

Written By: warped on 11/24/13 at 11:37 am

Thanks for the video Howard. Cool stuff.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/13 at 4:12 pm

Thanks for the video Howard. Cool stuff.

This was a way to get "heel heat", so Diesel (Kevin Nash) took Mad Dog and threw him down and pulled his leg off to attempt to hit Shawn Michaels with it on the head causing a DQ.

Check for new replies or respond here...