inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dick Dodd, Singer and Drummer of the Standells, Dies At 68

Written By: Claybricks on 11/30/13 at 6:25 pm

Dick Dodd, Singer and Drummer of the Standells, Dies At 68

by Dave Swanson November 30, 2013 9:37 AM

Lead singer and drummer for the ’60s garage rockers the Standells, has passed away. He was 68 years old.

Dodd, who came to fame via the Standells’ big hit, ‘Dirty Water’ in 1966, had been battling stage four cancer. His illness was only recently announced via his Facebook page, and a Go Fund Me page was set up. A posting recently stated, “The doctors have found two places in Dick’s brain. Right now, they aren’t going to worry about it. The tumor in his esophagus will be treated with chemo directly into the tumor. He won’t be able to eat, so he will have a feeding tube. His spirits, however, remain upbeat.”

Though they only had one Top 40 hit, the Standells have long been considered gararge rock royalty among fans with countless classics like ‘Why Pick On Me?,’ ‘Try It,’ ‘Sometimes Good Guys Don’t Wear White’ and the theme song from the movie ‘Riot On Sunset Strip,’ in which the band appeared. Despite the ‘Boston, you’re my home’ lyrics in ‘Dirty Water,’ Dodd was California born-and-bred. He was an original member of surf rockers the Bel-Airs, and as a child, was a Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeer.

‘Dirty Water,’ which hit No. 11 on the Billboard charts in the summer of 1966 has had a long life outside of the band, and been covered by countless acts. It has become the official victory song of the Boston Red Sox due to its references to the city, and the band has actually performed at several Red Sox games.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dick-dodd-dies/

Dan

Check for new replies or respond here...