inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/13 at 3:53 pm

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.

Subject: Re: South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies

Written By: warped on 12/05/13 at 3:58 pm

:\'(

We lost a true hero today.
Thank you, Mr Mandela for all you have done. Because of you, many can say the world is a better place for having you here.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/05/13 at 4:26 pm

We lost a great, great man  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Thank you Nelson Mandela for dedicating your life to a most worthy cause.  R.I.P.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/13 at 4:32 pm

So sad  :\'( :\'(  :\'(

Ironically, tonight in London was the premier of the new movie "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom".

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/05/13 at 4:33 pm

This breaks my heart. I was really pulling for him and hoping he would get better.  :\'(  I'm speechless. I can't remember the last time I felt this kind of sadness.

Written By: XYkid on 12/05/13 at 5:43 pm

This makes me sad, he was one of my heroes too.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 12/05/13 at 6:13 pm

This makes me sad, he was one of my heroes too.  :\'(

Yep... and now he's at peace.

R.I.P Mr. Mandela

Written By: danootaandme on 12/05/13 at 10:38 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0DyLbZhCI

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/13 at 12:21 am

A true hero.

Written By: holicman on 12/06/13 at 3:26 am

This man truly changed the world.......absolute hero.... RIP Nelson Mandela, you deserve a sticky thread....

Written By: Paul on 12/06/13 at 5:48 am

Yep... and now he's at peace.

Thankfully, he now is...but what worries me is the warring of his family that will no doubt resume... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/13 at 6:01 am

The writer of the 1984 hit protest song Free Nelson Mandela has called for action in memory of the former South African president.

Jerry Dammers said people should "actually listen to what he said and act on it".

The Specials keyboard player, who met Mr Mandela twice, repeated the statesman's description of people "trapped in the prison of poverty" and said it was "time to set them free".

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/13 at 7:09 am

http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article8988400.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/PARLIAMENT-SQUARE.jpg

Crowds have gathered to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela at a statue of the former South African president in London's Westminster Square.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/13 at 8:24 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0DyLbZhCI

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:43 pm

This breaks my heart. I was really pulling for him and hoping he would get better.  :\'(  I'm speechless. I can't remember the last time I felt this kind of sadness.

I felt the same way.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:44 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0DyLbZhCI

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 3:45 pm

Goodbye Mandiba, you will be sorely missed.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/13 at 4:19 pm

Can you imagine being in jail for 27 years? I'm only 25, not even 27 yet! This man has the patience of a saint.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/13 at 4:43 pm

Can you imagine being in jail for 27 years? I'm only 25, not even 27 yet! This man has the patience of a saint.

Then come out and set reconciliation in motion.  Most would go home thinking they had done enough, but at 70 he began the business of healing a country. 

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/13 at 5:16 pm

Then come out and set reconciliation in motion.  Most would go home thinking they had done enough, but at 70 he began the business of healing a country.

He was one in a million, or billion.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/06/13 at 11:30 pm

Congratulations to the good people of South Africa on the ascent of their greatest national hero into his eternal reward.
GOD BLESS YOU, NELSON MANDELA!

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/13 at 8:18 am

http://totalshowbiz.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mandela-and-Michael-Jackson.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/07/13 at 3:59 pm

http://totalshowbiz.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mandela-and-Michael-Jackson.jpg

both will be missed.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/13 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, it is sad but he was 95 years young. He lived a LONG life and he did so much in that time to make this world a better place.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/13 at 12:15 pm

http://www.thisisrnb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mandelawhitney.jpg

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/08/13 at 3:33 pm

"It don't matter if you're Black Or White."
Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 12/08/13 at 4:32 pm

http://cnnbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/mandela-freeman.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/13 at 4:35 pm

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Galleries/Nelson%20Mandela/nelson-mandela-will-smith-sized(2).jpg

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/08/13 at 6:24 pm

By his own words...

"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."

Nelson Mandela

Written By: danootaandme on 12/09/13 at 4:13 am

http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Netanyahu-Peres-will-not-attend-Mandela-memorial-334373

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu announced on Sunday that he will not travel to South Africa for the memorial of freedom fighter Nelson Mandela on Tuesday.

A source at the Prime Minister's office said the trip is too expensive and that there were "logistical concerns" preventing the prime minister from attending.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/09/13 at 5:05 am

A source at the Prime Minister's office said the trip is too expensive .

I guess the Israelis could not get some other country to pay for the trip.  The country is legendary for sponging off of other countries, specifically the United States.  Israel... America's Cuba...

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/09/13 at 12:43 pm

By his own words...

"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."

Nelson Mandela

Ah, but those times are successes in themselves!

Your Pal,
Doc

;)

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:58 pm

http://www.achievement.org/achievers/win0/large/win0-022.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/09/13 at 10:19 pm

http://i.imgur.com/6GAGTQ0.jpg

A belated RIP, good sir.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 5:56 am

Tens of thousands of South Africans have joined dozens of world leaders for the national memorial service for former President Nelson Mandela.

The service is being held in front of a vociferous crowd in the FNB stadium in Johannesburg.

US President Barack Obama said Mr Mandela was a "giant of history", adding: "The world thanks you for sharing Nelson Mandela with us".

The former South African president died last Thursday, aged 95.

The country is observing a series of commemorations leading up to the funeral on Sunday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 10:14 am

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1473057_626853377374414_780409689_n.jpg

Obama shakes hands with Cuban President Raul Castro for the first time at Mandela memorial.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/10/13 at 8:28 pm

I watched the Obama part.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/10/13 at 9:52 pm

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/mandela-and-charlize-1.1537011!/image/3130630818.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_600/3130630818.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/13 at 1:58 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71666000/jpg/_71666988_71666022.jpg

The body of Nelson Mandela arrives at the main government building in Pretoria, where it will lie in state for three days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/13 at 7:05 am

Mr Mandela's widow Graca Machel was among those who filed past his coffin on Wednesday

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71670000/jpg/_71670066_71666772.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/11/13 at 7:06 am

http://www.pri.org/sites/default/files/story/images/mandela-heavens-gates.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/13 at 10:13 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1462972_627899077269844_1415697551_n.jpg

Waiting to see Madiba. Thousands queue for hours to view Nelson Mandela's body on day reserved solely for ordinary South Africans.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/13 at 10:51 am

Who else in this world could attract this out-pouring of love?  Not anyone that I can think of.

Written By: warped on 12/12/13 at 11:29 am

Who else in this world could attract this out-pouring of love?  Not anyone that I can think of.

No one I could think of either. Queen Elizabeth (because of her 60-year reign) would have been a distant 2nd. Very distant.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/12/13 at 1:33 pm

Paul Walker, perhaps?  Or Michael Jackson?

Written By: Howard on 12/12/13 at 2:54 pm

Michael Jackson yes
Mr.Rogers definitely
Hulk Hogan maybe?

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/12/13 at 5:31 pm

Over 15 years ago, Mother Teresa and Princess Diana both did. And less than 10 years ago, Pope John Paul II and President Reagan.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Tam on 12/12/13 at 10:39 pm

Michael Jackson yes
Mr.Rogers definitely
Hulk Hogan maybe?

You two cannot possibly be serious.

Written By: warped on 12/13/13 at 5:38 am

They can't be.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/13 at 5:42 am

Michael Jackson was an icon that was loved all around the world
Fred Rogers was such a beloved character on TV to all the kids around the world for over 40 years that they considered him part of the family.
and also The Immortal Hulk Hogan, for the past 35 years he has been the most well-known character in professional wrestling, kids know him by face and name.

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/13 at 3:46 pm

Michael Jackson was a pedophile who dangled babies over balconies

Yes.  Yes he was

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/13 at 5:30 pm

Over 15 years ago, Mother Teresa and Princess Diana both did. And less than 10 years ago, Pope John Paul II and President Reagan.

Your Pal,
Doc

I watched all these funerals...well not Mother Teresa...people were too busy with Diana to notice her, and none of them came close.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/13 at 5:33 pm

Paul Walker....c'mon....I would say the majority of people who heard the news said the same thing I did..."who?"

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/13 at 5:36 pm

I KNOW!!!  What do you say to people who come out with this stuff.  ::)

BTW...Hulk Hogan is still alive.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/13 at 7:02 pm

Yes.  Yes he was

HEY! Don't change my words around!  >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/13/13 at 7:03 pm

BTW...Hulk Hogan is still alive.

I know he is but he was loved for the past 35 years in the sport of wrestling.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/13/13 at 7:37 pm

Paul Walker....c'mon....I would say the majority of people who heard the news said the same thing I did..."who?"

There was quite the hubbub over his death.

Heck even I had never heard of him but said to myself "Hey this guy must really have been something to trigger this outpouting of grief".

I'll bet TMZ ran more stories about him than Mandela.

Written By: warped on 12/13/13 at 7:41 pm

If Obama, Clinton and GWB got killed on the same day, TMZ would focus on what color underwear Bieber bought at Walmart. 
just sayin...

Written By: Dagwood on 12/13/13 at 7:46 pm

Cause TMZ is the most reputable newsource in the world.  I am sure Mandela is proud to be ignored by them.

Seriously, all the people mentioned were loved but none of them could equal what Mandela did for the world. 

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/13/13 at 7:47 pm

I watched all these funerals...well not Mother Teresa...people were too busy with Diana to notice her, and none of them came close.

In all truth, Mother Teresa would not have wanted a funeral as elaborate as Princess Di's, it would not have matched her personality. However, I can attest to how much President Reagan meant to the American people, as I waited in a line three blocks long, at night on the Mall in Washington, for over five hours(circa 9 P.M. to after 2 A.M.), to get into the Capitol Rotunda, walk by Reagan's casket, and pay my respects to The Great Communicator. I could not even guess how many guestbooks had already been filled before I signed the one open on the table. I'll never forget(or regret) that night.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/13 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for correcting what I should have posted

Glad I was able to help :)

Written By: Tam on 12/13/13 at 10:23 pm

I have a few choice words, however I will refrain from saying them.  :-X ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/13 at 10:42 pm

Michael Jackson was an icon that was loved all around the world
Fred Rogers was such a beloved character on TV to all the kids around the world for over 40 years that they considered him part of the family.
and also The Immortal Hulk Hogan, for the past 35 years he has been the most well-known character in professional wrestling, kids know him by face and name.

Nope... not buying it... there is no comparison.  Mandela was a great man. A leader a person who actually affected change...

Michael Jackson entertained millions with music did some charitible things but died a drug addicted pedophile.
Fred Rogers taught millions of kids manners and maybe how to read...
Hulk Hogan hasn't died and hasn't done much, that I'm aware of, that warrants even including him in this ludicrous discussion. 

Yes.  Yes he was

I saw what you did there  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/13/13 at 10:53 pm

Cause TMZ is the most reputable newsource in the world.  I am sure Mandela is proud to be ignored by them.

Seriously, all the people mentioned were loved but none of them could equal what Mandela did for the world.

truer words were never spoken

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/13 at 12:03 am

Nope... not buying it... there is no comparison.  Mandela was a great man. A leader a person who actually affected change...

Michael Jackson entertained millions with music did some charitible things but died a drug addicted pedophile.
Hulk Hogan hasn't died and hasn't done much, that I'm aware of, that warrants even including him in this ludicrous discussion. 

I saw what you did there  ;D

The only bad thing I read about him was that he could be controlling. Maybe it's taken out of context because he didn't want to expand his brand and felt comfortable where he was. Maybe he had a limited amount of $$$$ so he couldn't expand.

Like for example, Mr. Rogers 'punished' a friend once by not having him on his show for two years. He punished his friend because his friend did a performance/act for a group of kids once. Maybe Fred's friend broke a part of a contract by doing that performance. It could be if his friend did a performance it was not only illegal, but cost money so Fred felt 'wronged.' But it possibly could've been Fred was just like us, he had flaws and had a possessive side.

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/13 at 12:32 am

The only bad thing I read about him was that he could be controlling. Maybe it's taken out of context because he didn't want to expand his brand and felt comfortable where he was. Maybe he had a limited amount of $$$$ so he couldn't expand.

Like for example, Mr. Rogers 'punished' a friend once by not having him on his show for two years. He punished his friend because his friend did a performance/act for a group of kids once. Maybe Fred's friend broke a part of a contract by doing that performance. It could be if his friend did a performance it was not only illegal, but cost money so Fred felt 'wronged.' But it possibly could've been Fred was just like us, he had flaws and had a possessive side.

I only meant that whatever Mr Rogers did it was no where near as important as what Mandela did... I worshiped Fred when I was 4 yrs old but I wouldn't call him a great man.  I just think we dishonor Mandela by having this discussion in this thread. 

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/13 at 1:18 am

I only meant that whatever Mr Rogers did it was no where near as important as what Mandela did... I worshiped Fred when I was 4 yrs old but I wouldn't call him a great man.  I just think we dishonor Mandela by having this discussion in this thread.

I know eh? LOL, Hulk Hogan? Mandela all the way! 8)

Written By: warped on 12/14/13 at 7:04 am

I only meant that whatever Mr Rogers did it was no where near as important as what Mandela did... I worshiped Fred when I was 4 yrs old but I wouldn't call him a great man. I just think we dishonor Mandela by having this discussion in this thread.

This. Karma.

Written By: warped on 12/14/13 at 7:10 am

Turning this discussion back to Mandela:

"Mandela served over 27 years in prison...convicted of conspiracy to overthrow the state, and sentenced to life , initially on Robben Island, and later in Pollsmoor Prison and Victor Verster Prison. An international campaign lobbied for his release. He was released in 1990, during a time of escalating civil strife. Mandela joined negotiations with President F. W. de Klerk to abolish apartheid and establish multiracial elections in 1994, in which he led the ANC to victory and became South Africa's first black president. "

An incredible story.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/14/13 at 8:22 am

In all truth, Mother Teresa would not have wanted a funeral as elaborate as Princess Di's, it would not have matched her personality. However, I can attest to how much President Reagan meant to the American people, as I waited in a line three blocks long, at night on the Mall in Washington, for over five hours(circa 9 P.M. to after 2 A.M.), to get into the Capitol Rotunda, walk by Reagan's casket, and pay my respects to The Great Communicator. I could not even guess how many guestbooks had already been filled before I signed the one open on the table. I'll never forget(or regret) that night.

Your Pal,
Doc

The same with what happened in Massachusetts when Ted Kennedy died, people in line 8 to ten hours, but I still would not presume to put him in the same category as Mandela.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/13 at 8:26 am

Nelson Mandela's coffin arrives at his ancestral home in Qunu in Eastern Cape, the final leg of the journey ahead of Sunday's funeral.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71742000/jpg/_71742581_395dea94-a658-47d6-9bb6-c209c9fd23c5.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 12/14/13 at 8:26 am

Turning this discussion back to Mandela:

"Mandela served over 27 years in prison...convicted of conspiracy to overthrow the state, and sentenced to life , initially on Robben Island, and later in Pollsmoor Prison and Victor Verster Prison. An international campaign lobbied for his release. He was released in 1990, during a time of escalating civil strife. Mandela joined negotiations with President F. W. de Klerk to abolish apartheid and establish multiracial elections in 1994, in which he led the ANC to victory and became South Africa's first black president. "

An incredible story.  :)

In the United States it took a Civil War to do what Mandela was able to accomplish in South Africa.  He has put them on a better path, hopefully the follow it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/14/13 at 1:00 pm

"Long live the Cuban revolution. Long live comrade Fidel Castro … Cuban internationalists have done so much for African independence, freedom and justice. We admire the sacrifices of the Cuban people in maintaining their independence and sovereignty in the face of a vicious imperialist campaign designed to destroy the advances of the Cuban revolution. We too want to control our destiny. … There can be no surrender. It is a case of freedom or death. The Cuban revolution has been a source of inspiration to all freedom-loving people."

Written By: Howard on 12/14/13 at 4:53 pm

But Fred Rogers was a loved character, He was like your television neighbor.

Hulk Hogan back in those days put asses in seats, He was the main attraction back in the WWF days, He was another loved wrestling figure.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/13 at 4:56 pm

and I bet Mr.Rogers could've had Nelson Mandela on his show.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/14/13 at 5:27 pm

Hulk Hogan back in those days put asses in seats, He was the main attraction back in the WWF days, He was another loved wrestling figure.

That doesn't put either of them into the Mandela category in life. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/14/13 at 5:59 pm

god I would hope not!  What did MJ ever do for the good of the people?  Paul Walker at least had his charity (that became more known after his death)! 

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/14/13 at 9:07 pm

god I would hope not!  What did MJ ever do for the good of the people?  Paul Walker at least had his charity (that became more known after his death)!

Well it has been 9 days since Mandela died and this is the 77th post on his obituary thread.

When Michael Jackson died, there were 200+ posts made on his thread within 4 or 5 days .... check it out.

So... ON THIS BOARD it is credible to make the comparison to MJ.

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/13 at 9:08 pm

god I would hope not!  What did MJ ever do for the good of the people?  Paul Walker at least had his charity (that became known BECAUSE of his death)!

fixt

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/14/13 at 9:19 pm

fixt
lol!!!  Much better - thanx!

8)

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/13 at 9:46 pm

Just wondering why you would put those two people next to Nelson Mandela

Fred Rogers put on a sweater vest and invited us into his home.  Hulk Hogan beat people up in a wrestling ring.  Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/14/13 at 10:17 pm

Fred Rogers put on a sweater vest and invited us into his home...  Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years.

I don't know now many people know this, but Fred Rogers was not an actor. He was an ordained Presbyterian minister and the "Neighborhood" was his subtle way of preaching basic values to children, many of them the same values that Nelson Mandela would come to exemplify. Therefore, he should at least be regarded above some of these other people that Howard insists on mentioning.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/13 at 7:01 am

"Long live the Cuban revolution. Long live comrade Fidel Castro … Cuban internationalists have done so much for African independence, freedom and justice. We admire the sacrifices of the Cuban people in maintaining their independence and sovereignty in the face of a vicious imperialist campaign designed to destroy the advances of the Cuban revolution. We too want to control our destiny. … There can be no surrender. It is a case of freedom or death. The Cuban revolution has been a source of inspiration to all freedom-loving people."

A quote cited frequently to rationalize denial of support to topple the apartheid regime.  When the "freedom loving" countries denied help to those living under the thumb of apartheid, Castro offered help.  Would you, under the same circumstances, refused?  Would you, after the fight, turn your back on the ones who offered the help, out of political expediency? Like it or not the ousting of Batista was a source of inspiration, just as breaking of the chokehold of apartheid is an inspiration.  It is a disgrace that freedom loving people had to turn in so many directions to get the help that was necessary to do so.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/15/13 at 7:21 am

A quote cited frequently to rationalize denial of support to topple the apartheid regime.  When the "freedom loving" countries denied help to those living under the thumb of apartheid, Castro offered help.  Would you, under the same circumstances, refused?  Would you, after the fight, turn your back on the ones who offered the help, out of political expediency? Like it or not the ousting of Batista was a source of inspiration, just as breaking of the chokehold of apartheid is an inspiration.  It is a disgrace that freedom loving people had to turn in so many directions to get the help that was necessary to do so.

Not to mention the help the ANC received from Goodyear and Firestone, awarding the "Soweto Necklace Award" (also known as the Winnie Mandela Necklace due to her advocacy of it). to...almost exclusively black South Africans including the 14-year-old girl who was the first awardee.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/13 at 9:17 am

Not to mention the help the ANC received from Goodyear and Firestone, awarding the "Soweto Necklace Award" (also known as the Winnie Mandela Necklace due to her advocacy of it). to...almost exclusively black South Africans including the 14-year-old girl who was the first awardee.

No one has EVER attributed that to Madiba.  If you want to condemn a whole movement for atrocities by certain rogue segments than you must needs condemn George Washington.  Our own American Revolution was not immune.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/15/13 at 9:38 am

No one has EVER attributed that to Madiba

Nor did I.  But you were commenting on all the help that the ANC received so I thought I would explain some other "help" his cause received.

By the way, in 1985 he was offered his release from prison if he renounced violence.  He refused.  The next year was when Winnie made her famous speech promoting the use of the necklace... And 'Madiba' did not denounce it.  Bottom line... he was the figurehead leader of a rather violent movement which had no problem sending out violent enforcers to murder and torture black South Africans to keep them in line.

By the way I am not saying that violence was not needed to 'get the deal done' in South Africa.  But Mandela was no Gandhi.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/13 at 1:00 pm

Why should he have?  I was glad that he didn't.  They wanted him to renounce violence, but did they renounce violence?  No, as a matter of fact they ramped it up. Non violence is overrated when it comes to securing rights. Mandela wasn't Ghandi, he was Mandela and the world is better because of it.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/15/13 at 1:06 pm

Why should he have?  I was glad that he didn't.  They wanted him to renounce violence, but did they renounce violence?  No, as a matter of fact they ramped it up. Non violence is overrated when it comes to securing rights. Mandela wasn't Ghandi, he was Mandela and the world is better because of it.

**applause**

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/13 at 1:08 pm

Bottom line... he was the figurehead leader of a rather violent movement which had no problem sending out violent enforcers to murder and torture black South Africans to keep them in line.

You want to renounce a leader who allowed violent enforcers to murder and torture in order to keep order try the head of this government.

http://www.tbhpp.org/riots.html

or maybe the head of this government....

http://withoutsanctuary.org/main.html

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 1:11 pm

Sometimes, one must use violence, for SELF DEFENSE. I agree with you. Gandhi had no chance against Hitler, if Gandhi was in Germany, Hitler would've hung him, or worse, torture!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 1:13 pm

If not Michael Jackson or Hulk Hogan,

how about Gandhi or Martin Luther King? Will he be put in that category??  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/13 at 2:43 pm

Why is it necessary to compare people? There are some people who are just in a class by themselves. Mandela is one of them.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 3:12 pm

Why is it necessary to compare people? There are some people who are just in a class by themselves. Mandela is one of them.

Cat

Why is it necessary to get snippy when someone has something to say, even if it's positive?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/13 at 3:46 pm

Why is it necessary to get snippy when someone has something to say, even if it's positive?

I wasn't referring to YOU per say. But the majority of this thread people are trying to compare him to others. I wasn't getting snippy. I was asking why is that necessary.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 3:51 pm

I wasn't referring to YOU per say. But the majority of this thread people are trying to compare him to others. I wasn't getting snippy. I was asking why is that necessary.

Cat

I see. It's human nature to compare, but it's also annoying!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/15/13 at 3:52 pm

Michael I think did some charity work too? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/15/13 at 3:56 pm

Just wondering why you would put those two people next to Nelson Mandela

Fred Rogers put on a sweater vest and invited us into his home.  Hulk Hogan beat people up in a wrestling ring.  Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years.

Mr.Rogers was a fun( despite of what people say about him) guy, I grew up with him, he taught you how to love one another physically and how to get along with others.

Hulk Hogan was such an iconic figure in the sport of professional wrestling that he made some films, he was on T-Shirts, mugs, lunchboxes and made a few commercials.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/13 at 3:59 pm

If not Michael Jackson or Hulk Hogan,

how about Gandhi or Martin Luther King? Will he be put in that category??  ???

maybe Martin Luther King.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 4:02 pm

I think he gave a lot to charities, but let's not make this thread about anybody but Mandela, K?  ;)

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/15/13 at 4:25 pm

let's not make this thread about anybody but Mandela, K?  ;)

Agreed. Plus, in reference to your earlier post, I think it's fair to say that Mandela was the Ghandi or Dr. King of South Africa. Every country who's ever fought for their freedom has their own Civil Rights hero, and Mandiba ranked among the world's most beloved.

Your Pal,
Doc

;)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 4:35 pm

Agreed. Plus, in reference to your earlier post, I think it's fair to say that Mandela was the Ghandi or Dr. King of South Africa. Every country who's ever fought for their freedom has their own Civil Rights hero, and Mandiba ranked among the world's most beloved.

Your Pal,
Doc

;)

CatwomanofV and maybe others, actually hinted first at making the thread about Mandela.

Mandela, had the humility of a saint and was smart. He got out of jail in 1990??  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/15/13 at 5:10 pm

I think he gave a lot to charities, but let's not make this thread about anybody but Mandela, K?  ;)

Okey doke. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/13 at 5:24 pm

CatwomanofV and maybe others, actually hinted first at making the thread about Mandela.

Mandela, had the humility of a saint and was smart. He got out of jail in 1990??  ???

I got an early morning phone call from a friend saying "turn on the television"  They broadcast it live, world wide.  That is how important it was.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/15/13 at 5:32 pm

I got an early morning phone call from a friend saying "turn on the television"  They broadcast it live, world wide.  That is how important it was.

The funeral is over, I'm guessing?

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/13 at 9:10 pm

no one (in this thread) cares Howard... some charity work isn't a drop in the bucket compared to what Mandela represents...

it's like  comparing your bank account to Donald Trumps.. he has money in his and you have money in yours but if I could only have one account I would want Donald's because it's better.... 

Mr.Rogers was a fun( despite of what people say about him) guy, I grew up with him, he taught you how to love one another physically and how to get along with others.

Hulk Hogan was such an iconic figure in the sport of professional wrestling that he made some films, he was on T-Shirts, mugs, lunchboxes and made a few commercials.

That's like comparing the Sesame Street to the Encyclopedia... you learn from both but you get more out of the encyclopedia

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/13 at 9:15 pm

sadly he should have never been mentioned to begin with also had a live broadcast (I believe world wide) of his funeral... well his memorial service I think the funeral was private but still... there is no comparison of great political figure and hero to a pop singer who had obvious character flaws.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/13 at 3:33 am

I m talking about when Mandela was released from imprisonment in 1990.

Written By: snozberries on 12/16/13 at 3:45 am

I m talking about when Mandela was released from imprisonment in 1990.

oh sorry... I misunderstood I thought it was about the funeral.... yeah that was a big deal...

Written By: Howard on 12/16/13 at 6:35 am

no one (in this thread) cares Howard... some charity work isn't a drop in the bucket compared to what Mandela represents...

it's like  comparing your bank account to Donald Trumps.. he has money in his and you have money in yours but if I could only have one account I would want Donald's because it's better.... 

That's like comparing the Sesame Street to the Encyclopedia... you learn from both but you get more out of the encyclopedia

Sorry I was just putting my 2 cents into this conversation.

Written By: snozberries on 12/16/13 at 6:55 am

Sorry I was just putting my 2 cents into this conversation.

I know howard...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/14 at 5:35 am

Nelson Mandela left an estate valued at more than 46 million rand ($4.13m;£2.53m) public reading of his will reveals.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/14 at 6:21 am

Bump.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/24/14 at 11:26 pm

http://37.media.tumblr.com/abeafa31e7fba393dff240964bec2ebb/tumblr_n2r9n0FGir1roqv59o1_500.png
I'm moving to Canada...

Written By: XYkid on 06/04/14 at 3:49 am

I dedicate this song to Nelson Mandela, may he rest in peace...
The song is in Afrikaans, a language commonly spoken among White South Africans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCeToKi4Js

Written By: holicman on 09/25/14 at 7:03 pm

I have removed this as a sticky topic.

Check for new replies or respond here...