inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dead at 91

Written By: Claybricks on 12/09/13 at 9:10 pm

Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dead at 91

Reuters

7:34 p.m. CST, December 9, 2013

Dec 10 (TheWrap.com) - Eleanor Parker, a three-time Oscar nominee who portrayed the baroness who lost her man to Maria in the 1965 film “The Sound of Music,” has died at the age of 91.

She passed away Monday of complications from pneumonia at Palm Springs medical facility, a family friend told the Associated Press.

“Eleanor Parker was and is one of the most beautiful ladies I have ever known,” said Christopher Plummer, who starred with her and Julie Andrews in “The Sound of Music,”  in a statement. “Both as a person and as a beauty. I hardly believe the sad news for I was sure she was enchanted and would live forever.”

Parker was nominated for Oscars in 1950 (“Caged”), 1951 (“Detective Story”) and 1955 (“Interrupted Melody”).

Parker was discovered at the Pasadena Playhouse and signed a contract at Warner Bros., where she landed her first major role as Mildred Rogers in the 1946 remake of “Of Human Bondage.”

Her breakthrough performance came as a prison inmate in the 1950 film “Caged,” which brought her first Best Actress Oscar nomination.

She was nominated again the following year, when she played Kirk Douglas’s frustrated wife in “Detective Story.”

Her final nomination came in 1955 in “Interrupted Melody,” in which she played opera star Marjorie Lawrence, who continued her career after contracting polio.

Her career as a leading lady was established, and she played opposite some of the top leading actors of the day. She starred with Stewart Granger in “Scaramouche,” with Robert Taylor in “Above and Beyond,” with William Holden in “Escape from Fort Bravo”  and opposite Charlton Heston in “The Naked Jungle.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-eleanor-parker-sound-of-music-baroness-dead,0,7425608.story

Dan

Subject: Re: Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' baroness, dead at 91

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/13 at 9:19 am

So sad, another icon of the silver screen passes on.  :\'(

Written By: warped on 12/10/13 at 10:15 am

Sad news.

No disrespect intended, but "So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, goodbye" Eleanor. You were part of one of the greatest films ever.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/10/13 at 1:20 pm

Well this breaks my heart. I'm sparring about the damn dog and we lost another legend. My heart is heavy. I love her films. I even tolerated sound of music for her.  :\'(

Written By: warped on 12/10/13 at 1:22 pm

I even tolerated sound of music for her.  :\'(

???

Didn't enjoy the film?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/10/13 at 1:24 pm

???

Didn't enjoy the film?

I'm not big on musicals. LOL.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/10/13 at 9:56 pm

She starred with Stewart Granger... with Robert Taylor... with William Holden...  and opposite Charlton Heston...

Man she must have been like a black widow.  All those guys are dead.  :o

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/10/13 at 9:58 pm

Someone say Robert Taylor?  :) Loved him!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/13 at 1:51 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

All of those guys were old. (Ok, Robert Taylor wasn't old.) Hate to break this to you, LB but people die when they get old and it has nothing to do with who they worked with.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/11/13 at 2:34 pm

All of those guys were old. (Ok, Robert Taylor wasn't old.) Hate to break this to you, LB but people die when they get old and it has nothing to do with who they worked with.

Cat

Dear God, you're back!

I mean it all in good will! ;) ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/13 at 2:56 pm

Dear God, you're back!

I mean it all in good will! ;) ;)

I have been for a while.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/11/13 at 5:22 pm

Cat

I dunno. My brother yesterday was telling me about "The Price is Right Curse" that so far has claimed host Bill Cullen, announcers Rod Roddy and Johnny Olsen, producers Mark Goodson and Bill Todman, and creator Bob Stewart. He said "Bob Barker has avoided it so far...."  If he's right then Drew Carey better be careful.

Written By: warped on 12/11/13 at 5:34 pm

I dunno. My brother yesterday was telling me about "The Price is Right Curse" that so far has claimed host Bill Cullen, announcers Rod Roddy and Johnny Olsen, producers Mark Goodson and Bill Todman, and creator Bob Stewart. He said "Bob Barker has avoided it so far...."  If he's right then Drew Carey better be careful.

I briefly checked their ages most of them lived until their 70s, Bob Stewart reached the age of 90.  There is no curse.
If you want to talk curse, you might have a case with the original "The Little Rascals". That's about it.
I wonder why you find so many shows cursed when an actor from that show died. With "I love Lucy", the show ended well over 50 years ago. What is the criteria you consider for a curse. Not living till the age of 100? 110?
Just wondering. Maybe you can shed some light here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/13 at 5:37 pm

Most of those people lived to be in their 70s and Bob Stewart was in his 90s. I don't get why it is a "curse" because people get old and die. I would call it a "curse" if they all died young and around the same time.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/11/13 at 7:01 pm

Cat

I briefly checked their ages most of them lived until their 70s, Bob Stewart reached the age of 90.  There is no curse.
If you want to talk curse, you might have a case with the original "The Little Rascals". That's about it.
I wonder why you find so many shows cursed when an actor from that show died. With "I love Lucy", the show ended well over 50 years ago. What is the criteria you consider for a curse. Not living till the age of 100? 110?
Just wondering. Maybe you can shed some light here.

Most of those people lived to be in their 70s and Bob Stewart was in his 90s. I don't get why it is a "curse" because people get old and die. I would call it a "curse" if they all died young and around the same time.

Cat

These

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/11/13 at 7:40 pm

I showed these posts to my brother (LyricBro) and he said "maybe they have a point, but how do you explain the situation with Hogans Heroes or Diff'rent Strokes, where the casts were decimated?"

He still thinks there's a curse on some shows (for unknown reason). Maybe he has a point.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/13 at 8:02 pm

I don't think it's a curse.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/13 at 8:04 pm

I showed these posts to my brother (LyricBro) and he said "maybe they have a point, but how do you explain the situation with Hogans Heroes or Diff'rent Strokes, where the casts were decimated?"

He still thinks there's a curse on some shows (for unknown reason). Maybe he has a point.

Hey, stuff happens.

Check for new replies or respond here...