inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phil Everly of the Everly Brothers dies at 74

Written By: Claybricks on 01/03/14 at 8:29 pm

Phil Everly of the Everly Brothers dies at 74

By Randy Lewis

January 3, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

This post has been updated. See note below for details.

Phil Everly, who with his brother, Don, made up the most revered vocal duo of the rock-music era, their exquisite harmonies profoundly influencing the Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Byrds and countless younger-generation rock, folk and country singers, died Friday in Burbank of complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, his wife, Patti Everly, told The Times. He was 74.

“We are absolutely heartbroken,” she said, noting that the disease was the result of a lifetime of cigarette smoking. “He fought long and hard.”

During the height of their popularity in the late 1950s and early 1960s, they charted nearly three dozen hits on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, among them “Cathy’s Clown,” “Wake Up Little Susie,” “Bye Bye Love,” “When Will I Be Loved” and “All I Have to Do Is Dream.” The Everly Brothers were among the first 10 performers inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when it got off the ground in 1986.

"They had that sibling sound," said Linda Ronstadt, who scored one of the biggest hits of her career in 1975 with her recording of "When Will I Be Loved," which Phil Everly wrote. "The information of your DNA is carried in your voice, and you can get a sound that you never get with someone who’s not blood related to you. And they were both such good singers--they were one of the foundations, one of the cornerstones of the new rock 'n' roll sound."

Robert Santelli, executive director of the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, said Friday, “When you talk about harmony singing in the popular music of the postwar period, the first place you start is the Everly Brothers.... You could say they were the vocal link between all the 1950s great doo wop groups and what would come in the 1960s with the Beach Boys and the Beatles. They showed the Beach Boys and the Beatles how to sing harmony and incorporate that into a pop music form that was irresistible.”

In addition to his wife, Everly is survived by his brother, Don, their mother, Margaret, sons Jason and Chris, and two granddaughters. Funeral services will be private.

A full obituary will appear in Saturday's Times.

Update at 6:06 p.m.: An earlier edition of this post misspelled the title of the song "Wake Up Little Susie" as "Wake Up Little Suzie."

Follow Randy Lewis on Twitter: @RandyLewis2

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-phil-everly-of-the-everly-brothers-dies-at-74-20140103,0,2091176.story#axzz2pOQ3jamr

Dan

Subject: Re: Phil Everly of the Everly Brothers dies at 74

Written By: warped on 01/03/14 at 8:32 pm

Loved this duo, great harmonies, and they sang in an era when people still had talent and knew how to sing.

Sad news about Phil. I'll do my crying in the rain.  :\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caO4AO_g83E

Written By: Dagwood on 01/03/14 at 8:37 pm

:(

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/14 at 9:34 pm

when I was in high school (in the 1980s)  I was crazy about the Everly Bros... this is sad.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/03/14 at 9:36 pm

The Everly Brothers had a hit song circa 1960 that was 'Love Hurts,' a nice song.  :) :\'(

Written By: Marian on 01/03/14 at 10:11 pm

when I was in high school (in the 1980s)  I was crazy about the Everly Bros... this is sad.
  So sad.

Written By: Paul on 01/03/14 at 10:22 pm

Another bright star goes out... :\'(

Influential beyond belief, there was simply NO mistaking those harmonies - now sadly silenced...

Written By: Henk on 01/04/14 at 1:57 am

One of those sad sad days in life, when you realize yet another era has come to an end.

RIP Phil. :(

Written By: holicman on 01/04/14 at 2:16 am

This is extremely sad news, didnt know he was a long time smoker, RIP Phil Everly, I loved the music and the vocals of the Everly brothers, my favourite song was "Dream".

RIP Phil Everly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/14 at 2:47 am

So sad to watch those tears go by.

RIP Phil Everly  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 6:36 am

Don't lose that loving feeling.

Written By: Claybricks on 01/04/14 at 6:48 am

Don't lose that loving feeling.

Are you thinking of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers?

Dan

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/04/14 at 7:31 am

So sad!  The Everly Brothers were great!!!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Phil Everly.  Thanks for the music...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 8:06 am

Are you thinking of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers?

Dan

Oh yeah.  :-[

Written By: Katluver on 01/04/14 at 8:47 am

Loved this duo, great harmonies, and they sang in an era when people still had talent and knew how to sing.

Sad news about Phil. I'll do my crying in the rain.  :\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caO4AO_g83E

Great song. Another nail in the coffin from the doo-wop era.  :(

Written By: ninny on 01/04/14 at 9:51 am

R.I.P Phil :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/04/14 at 11:30 am

Just heard about this last night. R.I.P. to another legend. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/14 at 11:37 am

Just heard about this last night. R.I.P. to another legend. :\'(
I was wondering how our Marian is feeling?

Written By: nally on 01/04/14 at 11:41 am

I was thinking of that too... although she hasn't posted in a while. After all, they were her favourite band.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/04/14 at 12:08 pm

I was thinking of that too... although she hasn't posted in a while. After all, they were her favourite band.

She posted on the first page of this thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/14 at 12:43 pm

Two of my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYe9eDqxe8

I didn't know they toured with Buddy Holly & Phil was one of Buddy's Pallbearers at his funeral. (Don couldn't attend-couldn't go anywhere.) 

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/04/14 at 4:27 pm

I always liked "Cathy's Clown". RIP Phil Everly.  :\'(

Written By: Marian on 01/04/14 at 10:10 pm

This is extremely sad news, didnt know he was a long time smoker, RIP Phil Everly, I loved the music and the vocals of the Everly brothers, my favourite song was "Dream".

RIP Phil Everly.
Not as obvious as with Marianne faithfull.

Written By: Marian on 01/04/14 at 10:14 pm

:\'(Phil is gone gone gone.Bye bye Phil.

Written By: holicman on 01/05/14 at 3:37 am

Not as obvious as with Marianne faithfull.

LOL thats true ! I remember her doing a song with Metallica back in the late 90's, and I went to their concert here in australia. They stated a "special Guest" which i thought mightve been her which ended up being hard rock band at the time Korn.

If you listen to the metallica song "the memory remains" It has Marianne Faithfull sing in it.....

Written By: Marian on 01/05/14 at 11:32 am

LOL thats true ! I remember her doing a song with Metallica back in the late 90's, and I went to their concert here in australia. They stated a "special Guest" which i thought mightve been her which ended up being hard rock band at the time Korn.

If you listen to the metallica song "the memory remains" It has Marianne Faithfull sing in it.....
My dad won tickets for Marianne Faithfull.They said the show was entertaining but she could not sing like she used to.Off subject--why are the smilies upside down?

Written By: Marian on 01/14/14 at 6:07 pm

:\'(
They re united the year I graduated

Written By: Marian on 01/15/14 at 10:58 pm

R.I.P Phil :\'(
For some reason I feel this is bigger than a president kicking it.Granted I wasn't born yet in the JFK era.Anyone else feel that way?

Written By: Marian on 01/16/14 at 9:15 pm

Two of my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYe9eDqxe8

I didn't know they toured with Buddy Holly & Phil was one of Buddy's Pallbearers at his funeral. (Don couldn't attend-couldn't go anywhere.) 

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat

Written By: Marian on 01/16/14 at 9:19 pm

Anyone have any idea if Phil Everly's memorial will be televised?

Written By: Marian on 01/17/14 at 3:02 pm

:\'( :\'(
One of those sad sad days in life, when you realize yet another era has come to an end.

RIP Phil. :(
That's exactly how I feel!

Written By: Marian on 01/18/14 at 3:02 pm

Tomorrow would have been his 75th birthday.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/14 at 3:52 pm

Tomorrow would have been his 75th birthday.

Written By: Marian on 01/29/14 at 7:12 pm

See the Grammys tribute?The guy got Don's part really well.Wish it had been at the beginning of the show and more on the Everlys.saw more of Beyonce than I ever wanted to see!

Written By: Howard on 01/29/14 at 7:29 pm

See the Grammys tribute?The guy got Don's part really well.Wish it had been at the beginning of the show and more on the Everlys.saw more of Beyonce than I ever wanted to see!

I saw The Grammys but I didn't see the tribute.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/14 at 1:44 am

I saw The Grammys but I didn't see the tribute.
Green Day front-man and AMERICAN IDIOT composer/lyricist Billie Joe Armstrong paid touching tribute to recently deceased rock icon Phil Everly with a special performance on last night's 2014 Grammy Awards.

Armstrong joined with notable country crooner Miranda Lambert for a performance of the Everly Brothers hit"When I Will Be Loved" during last night's telecast.

Written By: Marian on 02/01/14 at 9:32 pm

Green Day front-man and AMERICAN IDIOT composer/lyricist Billie Joe Armstrong paid touching tribute to recently deceased rock icon Phil Everly with a special performance on last night's 2014 Grammy Awards.

Armstrong joined with notable country crooner Miranda Lambert for a performance of the Everly Brothers hit"When I Will Be Loved" during last night's telecast.

I really would have liked to see it at the beginning of the show and a longer tribute.CBS blew a golden oppertunity to give performers time to have some second thoughts on their performances.At the very least I would have liked to see Beyonce and LLCool j switch costumes.Would have been much easier on the eyes,IMO.

Written By: Marian on 02/08/14 at 12:24 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
:\'( :\'(That's exactly how I feel!

Written By: karen on 05/01/14 at 5:09 pm

BBC Radio will be broadcasting a programme this coming Monday about The Everly Brothers

"Now and Forever Let It Be Me-Bill Kenwright pays tribute to The Everly Brothers, with interviews, anecdotes and archives from Art Garfunkel, Cliff Richard, Albert Lee, Duane Eddy, Neil Diamond, Sir Tim Rice, Bob Harris, Brian Matthew and many, many more"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042b4gx

Written By: Marian on 09/06/14 at 11:34 pm

BBC Radio will be broadcasting a programme this coming Monday about The Everly Brothers

"Now and Forever Let It Be Me-Bill Kenwright pays tribute to The Everly Brothers, with interviews, anecdotes and archives from Art Garfunkel, Cliff Richard, Albert Lee, Duane Eddy, Neil Diamond, Sir Tim Rice, Bob Harris, Brian Matthew and many, many more"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042b4gx
    There's going tobe an all star tribute in October---I really hope it gets televised.

Check for new replies or respond here...