inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gone With The Wind Star Alicia Rhett Dies

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 8:35 am

Actress Alicia Rhett, who played one of Ashley Wilkes' sisters in the hit movie Gone With The Wind, passed away yesterday.

This leaves only Olivia de Havilland and Mickey Kuhn as major players from that movie who are left.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Gone With The Wind Star Alicia Rhett Dies

Written By: Dagwood on 01/04/14 at 8:57 am

Don't forget  Mary Anderson, 93, who played Maybelle Merriweather.  There are still three left.

Written By: ninny on 01/04/14 at 9:52 am

R.I.P Alicia :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/04/14 at 4:29 pm

Viven Leigh died in 1967, Clark Gable died in 1960.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 4:34 pm

Viven Leigh died in 1967, Clark Gable died in 1960.

Leslie Howard died in 1943 (commercial plane shot down), Hattie McDaniel died in 1952, George Reeves died in 1959 (gunshot), and Butterfly McQueen passed away in '95 (fire).  The cast of this movie has had a run of bad luck going way back...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/14 at 4:47 pm

Leslie Howard died in 1943 (commercial plane shot down), Hattie McDaniel died in 1952, George Reeves died in 1959 (gunshot), and Butterfly McQueen passed away in '95 (fire).  The cast of this movie has had a run of bad luck going way back...

It must be a curse since most of them are dead.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 5:03 pm

Cat

Well you have to admit it's pretty rare for people to die in commercial aircraft that are shot down, to burn to death, or via gunshot under suspicious circumstances.

I forgot to mention Oscar Polk who got run over by a taxicab.  Three cast members committed suicide (Ona Munson, Paul Hurst and allegedly George Reeves although his cause of death is in dispute).

Not sure if this movie was cursed or not, but its cast members seemed to pass away disproportionately from unnatural causes.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/04/14 at 5:17 pm

I just watched this movie with my mom a few weeks ago. We were looking up the actors/actresses and commenting on how strange it was that most of them either died young or went on to live extraordinarily long lives.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/04/14 at 5:43 pm

Cat

;D ;D
Well you have to admit it's pretty rare for people to die in commercial aircraft that are shot down,

He was in a plane, shot down over Europe during WWII.  Not as much of a rarity, considering it was war time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/14 at 5:47 pm

;D ;D

He was in a plane, shot down over Europe during WWII.  Not as much of a rarity, considering it was war time.

It was a civilian plane going from Portugal to the UK and was not involved in any military activity.  That made it a rarity and certainly unusual.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/04/14 at 6:25 pm

It was a civilian plane going from Portugal to the UK and was not involved in any military activity.  That made it a rarity and certainly unusual.

But, it was wartime.  Probably mistaken identity, still not too surprising to me. 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/04/14 at 9:29 pm

I'm gonna pass out. No! No! No!!!!! I haven't even gotten fixed with Joan Fontaine going yet!  :\'(

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9CITA0PmmAU/UQsqQH7D_BI/AAAAAAAAGJs/wlcQ-mhKiOc/s1600/india+wilkes.jpg
I'
Frankly, I always thought she was all wrong for the role of India Wilkes. I have the GWTW novel and India was written at a very plain, blonde woman with no eyebrows who looked like a "frightened rabbit". I found Alicia as dark and too pretty, but she played so convincingly, you didn't notice. (All of the Wilkes were blonde and skinny like Ashley)
But it breaks my heart that she's gone. I've seen GWTW so much, I practically feel like the characters were real, so the loss of one of the players is doubly hurtful in a way to a fan like me. I'll have to pay tribute to her on my tumblr page. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...